Self centered people starting to pay the ULTIMATE price...or shooting at Fla. movie theater

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gregthegator, Jan 14, 2014.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,328
    20 pages? These are usually the best kind of threads, since they arent entirely predictable.
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,493
    I find it's always helpful when someone reminds us how many pages a thread has gone.
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,328
    Those numbers at the top and bottom are pretty small, and you might have to scroll to see them. Its always helpful when someone posts them in a slightly bigger font.
  4. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,493
    21 pages on this thread, btw
  5. malligator

malligator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +265
    20ish, if you will
  6. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,540

Paper laws do not prevent bullets from penetrating them, and contumacious acts often invite illegal over-reaction.
  7. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,922
    Nope, I don't have all the facts. And I certainly do not know enough about the victim or offender to know make such absolutist proclamations that the victim believed he was special.
  8. JBufgogators

JBufgogators Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +23
    Exactly.

Its ridiculous that this is a 43 yr old with a 71 year old. I think this 43 yr old had a lot of these 'acts' in his life before this incident.
  9. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,679
    I said right in there, the facts that we have, the facts asserted. I formed an initial opinion based on the initial statements we've heard of from witnesses and the defendant, and it's more than enough to know conclusively that the victim had every possible opportunity to not be texting in the theatre at all, to not offer even a word of protest, dissent, or disagreement when called on it, to not disagree with the eventual shooter wanting to complain to management, to not do any number of things that could unleash the crazy.

You seem to be taking the position that nothing he could have done differently would have averted the shooting (from a cause and effect standpoint, not a "he had it coming" standpoint -- it's not like a kid "deserves" to be burned for touching a hot stove or trying to stick something in a power socket). I mean, seriously?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +994
    No, I think at worst it was a contributing factor. Who has implied that it led directly to his death?

Why do you keep moving the goalposts on this?
  11. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +994
    You know what I love most about this post?

Hearing it in Oscar Madison's voice.
  12. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +914
    Yeah, that's true. If someone tells you not to do something, but you do it anyways and get shot for it, it's pretty much your fault for doing what they told you not to do. It doesn't matter if what you're doing is legal, it only matters that someone told you not to do it and your refusal to follow their request is done so at risk to your life. The lesson here is spend your life being a meek doormat, lest you get shot to death.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  13. el_lagarto

el_lagarto Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +226
    how is that refutable? he didnt get shot while texting, he didnt get shot before the killer went to the manager, he got shot after throwing popcorn at the guy.

he made a series of choices from the time he got called out for texting to the time he got shot. seeing as he is dead, all signs point to at least one of those choices being the wrong one.

i dont know about DIRECTLY causing his death seeing as a lunatic with a gun had something to do with it, but, he didnt help his own cause of living to see another day
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +994

Why am I not surprised that the concept of basic human dignity and kindness is lost on you.
  15. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,679
    Oh, yawn. How many more freaking ways could I have clarified the difference between causation and culpability in this thread, several times over several pages?

It's not just if someone tells you not to do something that's relevant here -- it's someone reminding you not to do something you already know you are not supposed to be doing and you ostensibly refusing to stop doing. Right there, you know that a) someone is upset and that b) you are why. One doesn't have to live as a "meek doormat" to realize that this is the point at which they should be evaluating the wisdom of continuing to be on the nerves of this total stranger. If you believe yourself to be totally within your rights, by all means, defend it, but defend something worth defending. It's not worth defending texting in a movie theater once the reel is going, previews included -- there's no emergency or rationalization that make it okay not to go ahead and excuse yourself outside --

-- Look. Let's do it this way. Let's change the tale and have the 71 year old go to the manager, the manager comes and kicks the 43 year old right the hell out of the theater without a refund. Unless you are going to sit there and say that would have been a miscarriage of justice of some kind, you can't also sit there and say that the victim of this shooting wasn't in a position to avoid pissing off the eventual shooter to the point of eventually shooting. He didn't deserve to get shot. He did deserve to get kicked out, though, right? If you can come that far you should start to get the point here, that he had opportunities at every step to diffuse the confrontation that ended with an old nutter shooting him by simply letting it go when he was called out for his misbehavior.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. fastsix

Ratings Received:
    +914
    It's hardly lost on me, but if I ask someone to stop using their cell phone and they tell me to take a flying leap at a rolling donut and throw some popcorn in my face, I don't think it in any way gives me license to kill them.

People sometimes do things I don't like.
    Sometimes it turns into an argument when I ask them to stop.
    On extremely rare occasions it rises to the level of "popcorn throwing".
    So far I haven't shot anybody.
    Am I wrong for that?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. fastsix

Ratings Received:
    +914
    You're saying that if you argue with someone, and get them angry enough to kill you, that you, at least partially, deserved it. I don't agree with that.
    • Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor x 1
  18. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +994

But if someone asked you to stop texting, that it was bothering them and even did so in a dickish way, how would you react? My guess (from your posting history) you'd push it, just like this guy did, as you seem to enjoy confrontation.
  19. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +994
    Deserved it is a loaded term. Helped contribute to your demise? Yeah, I think that's fair.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,540

No, no, that's not the attitude going on.

It's more like, if you're a bodacious texter (or anything else) and insist on doing your thang' anywhere / anytime, on your terms by god and to hell with the rest, and especially in the face of anyone who might take issue with it, you probably also need to be a concealed carry licenscee and prepared to get your finger off qwerty - and on the trigger - without hesitation.

Crazy, and his brother, Over the Top, will always be around.
    • Winner Winner x 1