SEC up for grabs

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by NoahBeanBizzel, Sep 15, 2013.

1. goneagaingator

goneagaingator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +707
    After watching that game yesterday, I just don't believe that there is anybody who his head-and-shoulders above the pack. John Football completely lit the Tide defense up, and I'm starting to believe that we might just have the best defense in this conference. The only teams with a legit chance to win the SEC would be Georgia, Carolina, obviously 'Bama and A&M. However, A&M and Carolina are behind the eight ball. LSU has an outside shot to win the conference, but I don't see it.

We still control our own destiny. I don't believe any of the above teams are stronger defensively than we are. Not when you look at the talent we have across the front seven, and certainly you can argue that our defensive backs are the best in college football. And I still think that this offense is capable of becoming much better than what we saw last year-or even last week. If we can just refrain from turning the ball over, limit the penalties, and Driskel can stay healthy enough to be effective running the ball, it's going to be difficult to beat the Gators.

Say what you want about the high-powered offenses that A&M and 'Bama have. Neither of those two teams would move the ball against us the way they did against each other.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. bike1014

bike1014 Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Yeah, yesterday was encouraging from the standpoint that the top of the SEC is not unbeatable.

That being said, it is still very early. Teams have time to get better and LSU is still a wildcard in my opinion. They probably won't win the SEC, but they'll have a say in who does.
  3. bamascott2

bamascott2 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Sure you do...although, I'm not sure that Toledo and Miami are all that challenging offensively to warrant your opinion.

We probably wouldn't have to to get a win against UF. 21-28 points would easily be enough to get the win.

As far as the aTm game goes...Manziel is going to light up everyone this year. There is nobody that can stop him. I don't like him and think that he's handled things horribly since winning the Heisman, but he is absolutely the best player in CFB. He does things with the ball that just leaves you shaking your head.

McCarron's pretty darn good, too.
  4. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    I'd have to ask encouraging for whom? What we saw yesterday was Rocky Balboa vs Apollo Creed with Creed hanging on for the win. However, I used to think Sabin was the best coach around, but now I'm convinced Kevin Sumlin is. Sabin has proven to be a top recruiter, light years ahead of Muschamp, but Sumlin showed me that he can do more with less talent. I think if anyone should be encouraged it would be teams like Oregon and Clemson because Alabama doesn't look as invincible as past years. Alabama will win the SEC, but there's a good chance this years national champion will be a non SEC school.
  5. goneagaingator

Ratings Received:
    +707
    Not sure how closely you follow us, but Dominique Easley could be the most disruptive DT I've ever seen in a Gator uniform. Bullard, Powell and Fowler are all going to own their share of one-on-one battles up front, and the entire DL is solid. Still too early to know how good the LBs will be, but I guarantee our secondary will end up being the best unit in this conference.

If 'Bama played UF next week on a neutral field, I'd pick the Tide. Even against Florida's D, I think they're capable of putting together a few 12-play, 80-yard-types of drives, and it's hard to pick against McCarron in a close game. But the Tide has work to do defensively. Like Florida's offense, the 'Bama D is a work in progress, that will grow and get better by the week.

Alabama isn't bullet proof this season. You can excuse their performance by talking about Manziel all you want to, but that's a unit that needs work. They hardly looked like a "brick wall" yesterday. I think most people expected the Tide to give up a few points, but 42? And giving up almost 500 yards through the air?
  6. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    What we saw yesterday was 2 very good coaches and teams that have serious flaws. Alabama is obviously very good but they are not the same team we are used to. They do not run with authority and they cannot depend on their D to win games. To Saban's credit he sees it and has reworked his O into a big play attack. I see the winner of the SEC east having an excellent chance at winging the SEC this season.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  7. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    I said this before the season started and I'll keep saying it - if you are going to beat Bama, do it early. They have new players and they will get better every week. By the time we play them, their defense will be equally as good or better than ours. And like others have said, do we really have a great defense since Toledo and Miami aren't exactly offensive powerhouses. Toledo won their first game this weekend over Eastern Washington and they racked up 530 yards most of that on the ground. So, it looks like we might have a pretty good run defense. Problem is both Manziel and Bama are pass-happy which might be our weakness.
  8. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    georgia might be able to play with alabama in the SEC title game, but no other team is in their league
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,347
    The way the attrition chips are falling, the SEC champion may have a tough time making the NC game. UGA, UF, USCe, A&M all have a loss. That leaves Bama and LSU, which guarantees another loss. Ole Miss can make some noise, but has a murderers row 9/28 - 10/19. LSU still has UGA, UF, Ole Miss, and A&M. Hard to imagine them getting through with only one loss. Bama really only has Ole Miss and LSU on the schedule, so obviously they have the clearest path. The question marks about their defense are probably the focal point of this discussion.

If Bama drops one game and then loses the SEC championship game, obviously they are out. If they go undefeated and lose the SEC, they will also be out. IMO it's very doubtful that UF, USCe, or UGA can make it through the entire season with only one loss.
  10. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,326
    I predict Bama wins the SEC again this year.

After last week's loss in Miami it's hard for me to get excited about Florida's chances until I see us straighten out our flaws.

Yesterday we saw 2 college football titans (the Rocky analogy was a good one, tooth) doing battle for the title. Bama won and as long as LSU doesn't spoil the party - they will win the SEC again this year.

Sorry if I don't sound loyal enough about us but last week the wind disappeared from my sails....
  11. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    Easley will be disruptive all season until, should we be lucky enough, play Bama in the SECCG where his jersey will get stretched 5 sizes larger and he won't get within 10 feet of McCarron.
  12. goneagaingator

Ratings Received:
    +707
    Yup. And that's about the only way you can slow that kid down. I've never seen anything like Easley. You know where he's lined up on every down, because all you see is a G/C's body get pushed in the backfield before the QB takes his first step to drop back. Seriously, all you see is a 310 lb. body going backwards before they even have a chance to break their stance.

Not enough credit has been given to him after his performance in south Florida. He is an absolute loose cannon lined up inside.
  13. kalaniocc

kalaniocc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +938
    we could win the sec this year :)
  14. Swamp_Swagger

Swamp_Swagger Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +696
    I don't about you guys but I'm starting to think LSU is a forgotten team that's gonna surprise some people. Not that I like it but that's how I see it.

As for us I agree UF, LSU will have the best defenses in the SEC this year keeping them both in everygame.
  15. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    I don't see us getting to Atlanta so the question about Alabama is moot in my mind.

Our defense is better than both TAMU and Alabama, but other than keeping us in the game, it certainly isn't at the level to shut both of those offenses down.

In order to beat them, we would have to do that.
  16. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,347
    LSU may be somewhat forgotten, but they also have to play UGA, UF, Bama, Ole Miss, and A&M. Hard to imagine them going 4-1 against that slate, esp. with three of those games on the road.
  17. bike1014

bike1014 Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Encouraging for everyone (except Bama and A&M), literally.

Non-SEC schools have to feel like they have a legit chance at the MNC this season - as you pointed out.

SEC schools have to feel like Bama - the top of the class - has many flaws on their team. The SEC is very much up for grabs, with a long list of teams in the running.
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,460
    To the OP's point, the SEC is clearly wide open this year and doesn't have the big lead over the rest of the country that we normally do.

If our Gators clean up our ball security, we can get to Atlanta and win. One game at a time.
  19. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    LSU has a rough schedule, no doubt, but if that jerk Mettenburger continues to play like he's playing now, they are going to be hard for anyone to beat. This is not a vintage Alabama team, but they are still real good. aTm can score on anybody. LSU-aTm and LSU-Bama are must-see TV.
  20. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    If only Driskel had grabbed the mike in the post-game and promised that this would be the hardest-working team in America and he would be the hardest-working player in A,erica and then blessed us all, I'd feel alot better. :yes: