SEC Tournament

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by WESGATORS, May 17, 2014.

1. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    I understand the reasoning - he would be throwing a bullpen anyway so let him throw his bullpen during the game. Sully knows what he is doing when it comes to pitching so it would be tough to argue with his decision. I still wouldn't do it considering what it is at stake.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    This sums it up from my view. Why risk it? For an SEC title? Sure. SEC titles are tracked and worthy of praise.

For an SECT title? Who gives a crap? You were hot for one weekend. Congrats.

Just imagine if Shore gets hurt. The risk doesn't match the reward here.

I could see Rhodes pitching one inning just to get live work (assuming he even made the trip). A bullpen session isn't the same thing as a live batter.
  3. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    By the way, I don't think trying to win the tourney is a bad thing. LSU I believe won the SECT the year they won the title against Texas. So it isn't like the SECT champ is cursed. I just wouldn't risk Shore.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +197
    So, you don't think he should do his normal throwing either? He's going to throw anyway. If he only throws 40-50 pitches, what is the difference?
  5. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    In my head, there is a huge difference. 40-50 pitches from a bullpen mound with no stress is completely different than live batters and a championship game. You don't overthrow in a bullpen session (at least I never did but I stopped after HS). You work on mechanics, staying loose and fit, locations, etc. If you miss a spot or your fastball has less action on it, no problem. You work on it. In a championship game, you can overcompensate and hurt yourself.

If you could theoretically remove the mental part, sure, throw in the game but you can't remove the mental part so all I see are downsides.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +177
    A good enough reason to win the SEC tourney is to get all the young players as much experience as possible before the regional, super regional, and CWS. Every game played offers the reward of the opportunity to get better as a team. When things tighten up to win or go home as we've successfully faced in the last two games, our guys will be prepared to respond.

I'm also tired of seeing us lose to Kentucky (1-3). I hope we beat the crapola out of the wildcats.
  7. gtj31

gtj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +73
    LSU looks to be in the final. If there were any doubts of them hosting I think they have been erased. They are en fuego this tournament.

Side note, I am thrilled Ronaldo and Co are losing right now. Hope it stays that way!!!!!!
  8. WESGATORS

WESGATORS VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +860
    gtj31, Matside. I agree with you guys from a gut perspective (and relative importance), but I felt better about it hearing it laid out by Jeff. Hopefully the 9th holds up and we'll find out tomorrow.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  9. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +177
    Sully said 5 pitchers haven't pitched in the tourney yet. All 5 will pitch tomorrow. If that includes Aaron Rhodes and Karsten Whitson, we'll be in good shape on the mound. ESPN did show Whitson loosening up in the bullpen late in the game today.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. IowaGator

IowaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +227
    As much as Sully loves matchups it had to be hard for him to keep 5 fresh arms in the bullpen.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +530
    I think we see Karsten today, try to get him to the NCAA's on a positive note.
  12. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +556
    Have you done your calculations on the all important Directors Cup ?;)
  13. IowaGator

IowaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +227
    Wing Sorry to disappoint! :D You see I have been too busy the last few weeks re-working my schedule. Earlier this baseball season I cancelled all my Omaha area appointments that I had scheduled during the CWS. I was under the impression we had a team that couldn't hit, couldn't field, couldn't pitch, and couldn't run the bases. And that we had a horrible coaching staff with no chance of teaching the players how to do any of that. So the last couple of weeks I have been busy getting appointments around the Omaha area on the slight chance that the team appears to have learned how to play baseball and might have a slight and I do mean SLIGHT chance of making Omaha. I mean they barely made the field again this year!!!! :p

Seriously--I never cancelled my appointments in Omaha during the CWS and will be there for a few days mixed in with a trip to Dallas. I have been busy with work and life. A surprise 25th anniversary party and planning some fun trips over the coming months for my wife and me were high on the agenda.

But since I have been so slack in my duties Oragator picked up the slack and wrote a great synopsis which you can find here:

http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/threads/directors-cup-update.291044/

I realize it is in the "Women of the Swamp" area but they won't bite if you wander over there!! LOL

Bottom line--I could tell you the outcome--but I think it would be more fun for you to click the link and explore. :cool:
  14. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +556
    Touche Iowa touche ....:)