SEC Tournament

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by WESGATORS, May 17, 2014.

1. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +954
    I either want to win this or lose early, although a couple wins will no doubt give you a National seed. Getting way to ahead of myself
  2. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,070
    I have ESPN3 but it's blocked in SC.....WTH!!!!
  3. haddon

haddon Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +63
    was at the game yesterday. guys looked great after a bit of a slow start. puk settled in nicely and then poyner was fantastic. tobias' jack had some pop to it. best play was bader's outfield assist to home to get a guy tagging up. his throw was so good it made my 9 year old son's jaw drop in awe. will be back out there with the family tonight.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. gtj31

gtj31 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    I vote for a W today and then a first game L tomorrow. No need to work the pitchers too hard.
  5. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +338
    There is only one game tomorrow right? Doesn't it go to single elim after today?
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    Yes, technically it's single elimination today too. :p Beat MSU tonight, play Kentucky again Saturday, winner of that one plays for the SECT championship.
  7. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +338
    If you want to get technical yesterday was single elim too lol
  8. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    Let's win it. We have plenty of pitchers and 5 days to recover after Sunday. I'd even let Logan Shore pitch again this week as he only pitched 4 innings on Wednesday. He doesn't need 9 days of rest/rust.

Who is pitching tonight? Why is it the media doesn't ask this simple question? Will we see Aaron Rhodes and Karsten Whitson this week? I have to believe both need work.

Bottom line, we have the deepest pitching in the league. Let's ride them to the SEC Tournament Championship. The SEC COY is already locked up for Kevin O'Sullivan. Winning the SEC tourney championship as well could give him the national COY as well.
  9. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    Just my opinion but you don't ask Shore to do something he hasn't done all season long especially with the most important part of your season starting next week. (Especially when there is absolutely nothing of importance riding on this tournament).
  10. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    Well, we already asked Logan Shore to do something he wasn't used to when he started on Wednesday. Pitching some innings if he's called on wouldn't hurt as he didn't pitch his normal innings or pitch count on Wednesday. It might only get him back on schedule for the Gainesville regional next Friday.

Insofar as mailing it in, nothing to play for, you're right as UF is a stone cold lock for a national seed. I still say to try to win it since we're in it. I see no reason to play timid baseball like South Carolina and Vandy did with the regional not starting until Friday. It's actually more rest than when we complete a weekend series and play a mid-week game before the next series. Play it for pride it nothing else.
  11. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    I won't bother trying to explain why working on short rest is different than whether he starts on a Weds or a Friday; however, as far as him not pitching much on Wednesday, I am pretty sure he threw over 100 pitches.
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  12. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    Haven't heard anything on Whitson....heard "no Rhodes in Hoover," but he should be good for the regional - tendonitis.
  13. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,070
    At this point I would "pitch by committee or get Whitson out there, he needs the work imo.
  14. CASontag

CASontag Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    Well UF struck first and has a 2-0 lead going into the 3rd inning against MSU. Go Gators! :)
  15. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,032
    I'd love to win it, but we've already the SEC Regular Season Title which is the title that counts. Yet, I really would like at least two wins out of this tourney just to make sure no one screws us out of hosting a regional. o_O

We beat USC 7 - 2 to stay alive and have 2 runs already tonight, so hopefully, our bats are starting to wake back up at just the right time.
  16. CASontag

Ratings Received:
    +208
    Wow! What a catch by Reed! And this after having misjudged a fly ball by the previous hitter that resulted in a double.

Edit: Mattson with a triple to start the top of the 4th inning. Nice!
  17. CASontag

Ratings Received:
    +208
    Well the Gators got Mattson home but they sure had more chances to score with the bases loaded and 1 out. Hope this missed opportunity doesn't matter in the end. 3-0 UF vs MSU in the bottom of the 4th inning.
  18. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,070
    Are we ranked 12th right now, weren't we 5th just a week ago?
  19. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,097
    Jeff Cardozo is a former pitcher who I believe has pitched in the CWS. His reasoning about Logan possibly pitching on Sunday was about having a normal day where he'd throw pitches. So he'd be good for, say, 50-60 anyway. He'd still get a bunch of days off before throwing again.

I think if we're serious about competing for a national championship then we are most likely going to end up having to count on people to do what is outside the scope of what they are otherwise expected to do (with respect to pitching at least).

I'm all for doing whatever it takes to win the SECT as long as we do not do anything to jeopardize our efforts in the NCAA Tournament. I think Sully is careful with our arms, so let's see if we can win this thing.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  20. gtj31

gtj31 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    It didn't use to be single elimination in the semis. I was unaware it changed. Then absolutely try to win tomorrow. I would start Whitson. I still wouldn't use Shore on Sunday. I see no reason to bother. The potential risk is high (even if a low percentage) and the benefit is slightly above 0. The math doesn't make sense. I only take risks if there is upside and I simply don't see it here.
    • Agree Agree x 1