SEC softball vs Bama

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by apkgator, May 9, 2013.

1. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +743
    UF got a rather cheap run in the first on a hit, an error and 2 walks
    Still 1-0 after 3

UF has 2 hits and 3 walks ...pitching Rogers
    Bama with 1 hit and 2 walks....pitching Jury
  2. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +417
    UF takes way too many pitches. The bat in your hands is there for a reason. SWING IT.
  3. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +743
    Got your wish Gboro, swinging and productive in the 4th. 3 runs this inning still only 1 out
    4-0
  4. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    Unis are sweet!!!!
  5. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +743
    UF gives it all back in the top of 5....Bama gets 4 runs on 5 hits to tie it 4-4

UF pitching has been prone to this all season...one bad inning
  6. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
  7. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +743
    Good response by the team.
    Also encouraged by Haeger in the circle in the 6th, she looked pretty sharp. UF will need her in postseason
  8. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,410
    Outstanding game, Gators! Nice job.
  9. gatorntuscaloosa

gatorntuscaloosa Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +460
    Let me say it: Living here in the heart of bammer country, its always sweet when the gators put 'the hammer' to the bammers!
  10. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +426
    This was a good win but a win that should have happened given what Bama went through last night.

Rogers in these type of games at times always has one bad or completely off centered inning and the reason is she is not a strike out pitcher and if you can't finish off batters whenever you get ahead of them then you leave chance of the cheapo hits happening whenever they put the ball in play especially if the hitters are these slap/speed hitters.

It is strange to watch because she is rolling along and one would think she has it in hand especially after getting out of innings for which she puts in the lead off batter on base but then all of a sudden she gives up runs.

Taking a 4-0 lead and then giving it right up again should not happen and hopefully we won't see it again anytime soon. It is an issue that will certainly will come up again in the coming weeks against the highly ranked teams and hopefully when these innings happen that the run total gets mitigated more.

The other issue is if the intent of the coaching staff is to continue to play Horton then Walton is going to have to consider moving her down the lineup because she is not an offensive threat behind Haeger right now. Unfortuately she is suffering from senioritus which has been a pretty typical issue with most seniors for this program over the many years in terms of seniors getting into these late season offensive funks that they don't seem to get out of. Moultrie has been the exception and Nelson pitching but for the most part seniors seem to always get into these offensive funks right now toward the end of the season. It's unfortunate because you never want seniors to go thru stuff like this in any sport.
  11. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    Yep first thing I did when I walked in to work said I Know one thing that Bama isn't going to win this year.
  12. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +743
    I agree Horton is ina little slump, but other than maybe flipping her and Schwarz there really isn't any other option. And Horton still has the huge edge in experience.

Not sure I agree on the senior slump thin. I think it was Alli Gardiner that slumped in postseason of her senior year, but don't really recall any other issues. They have been shut down by some great pitchers in the finals but that was good pitching, nothing to do with senioritis
  13. DarthGatorOne

DarthGatorOne VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +115
    Congratulations Ladies and Coach Walton.

And I hope that Coach Walton is not ready to hand the coaching reins over to Bear anytime soon. I'm happy that a team that was predicted to finish fourth in the SEC East in preseason has done so well, and Kelsey Horton and her bat have been a big part of that. She doesn't always come through, but then again, neither does Haeger batting third. Haeger went through two awful slumps, but I don't recall anyone calling for her to be moved down in the batting order. So, I think I'll just leave the lineup to the coaches.

One more thing. I don't agree with the "senioritis" analysis either. If anything, I believe more in the fact that it's been a long season, and during a long season, there are going to be slumps. There are also going to be hot streaks. See e.g. Briana Little who started out like a house on fire; not so much now. For awhile Lauren Haeger was on fire also, but then everyone started walking her, and she had two terrible slumps at least, and yes, Kelsey Horton. Almost every Gator player has had hot streaks and cold slumps. It's the nature of the game in my opinion, not "senioritis".