SEC Softball tournament

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by GboroGator, May 7, 2014.

1. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
  2. swampgas4412282

swampgas4412282 Member

Ratings Received:
    +64
    The facility and seating(chairbacks) is nice but they must have run out of money when it came to the scoreboard. It looks about 30 years old with no digital screen and no info concerning stats, etc. Just lists two team names and the innings. ESPN also did a lousy job in setting up camera location.
  3. GboroGator

Ratings Received:
    +326
    I'll grant you Florida has a better scoreboard. Though it isn't big enough to get the full last name of some of the players in the batting order. Kind of funny when they show it on Gatorvision and some players last names are missing a letter or two.
  4. GboroGator

Ratings Received:
    +326
    Day 2 Results:

Game 1: LSU 6 - Mizzou 0 Final
  5. GboroGator

Ratings Received:
    +326
    Day 2: Game 2
    Kentucky 2
    Tennessee 0

LSU vs Kentucky in Friday's Semi-Final
  6. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +577
    o-o thru 2.5, UF has 4 K's and hasn't gotten the ball out of the infield

Haeger gave up a single and walk in the first but been perfect since
  7. GboroGator

Ratings Received:
    +326
    UF just can't hit quality pitchers this year. They have beasted on the bottom feeders of the SEC and around the country. But against top ranked teams, they have struggled against #1 pitchers. Same story again today. There is a reason most of our starters have below .300 averages.
  8. GboroGator

Ratings Received:
    +326
    Plate discipline by the Gators is just awful
  9. hoyt233

hoyt233 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
    We've talked about this before. This is the first time UF has faced uga this year and have not seen this pitcher. I hope UF can advance in the NCAA but but they are going to face quality pitching that they have not seen and this well result in little scoring and a fast exit. They looked overmatched today. If a team gets an early lead and has a shut down pitcher the Gators are doomed.
  10. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +193
    Lame. This teams has underachieved all year. I'll be very surprised if they get out of the 1st weekend,
    let alone OKC.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,062
    I truly thought this was the year. So wrong.
  12. swampgas4412282

swampgas4412282 Member

Ratings Received:
    +64
    Chelsea Wilkinson owned us last year as well. I think we will bounce back in the Regionals.
  13. GboroGator

Ratings Received:
    +326
    They probably will in the regionals because they will most likely face the usual Florida opponents like South Florida and/or UCF with some mid-major winning scrub in the mix. The only way they might lose is if 3 players get kicked off the team the day of the regional. :)

Now, when it comes to the Super Regional they'd better hope they have a matchup with someone that doesn't have a true #1 pitcher. This recent switch to more singles / slap hitters is fine..but you had better darn well put the ball in play more often than not. This team strikes out too much, and really only swings when they get down 2 strikes. They look more interested in getting a walk or HBP than actually hitting the ball.
  14. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +201
    I think the general thoughts today are pretty accurate.

I think most believed to start the season this particular spring team had the best chance of doing something special.

But as the post season begins this squad has significantly underachieved especially offensively speaking especially against top 15 type of teams. I think the pitching has also been spotty as well in pockets of the season.

Offensively both the baseball team and the softball team have the issue during the season of being offensively challenged and leaving a ton of runners on base. Getting walks is fine but at some point you need start bringing in the runners on a consistent basis.

Now the difference between the baseball team and softball team is the pitching. The baseball team has pitchers this season that can deal with 1-0 type of games like last night but the softball team does not. And if you don't have a pitcher who can win you 3-4 consecutive 1-0 type of games in softball then you better have a good offense.

The softball team has the talent but there is something completely off centered offensively this season in terms of consistency especially against the better teams and whatever approach they are doing is not translating to games this season.

I think getting past the first weekend can be done but beyond that is a complete crap shoot and unless they get hot offensively and just go through one of those months time span where everyone is clicking offensively then I don't disagree here with the thought process that they get eliminated in the superregional and/or get tossed real quick the OKC if they are fortunate enough to get there.

I'm trying to figure out why they are ranked in the top 10 because it seems to me every time they play a ranked SEC team that they struggle to do anything at times.

I just don't think they are a mentality tough team in dealing with close games right now especially against top 15 type of teams. I don't trust the pitching to win you close games. I certainly don't trust the hitting abilities to win you close games or the ability to at least manufacture runs when the hitting is not there.

The pitching, the roster moves, the lineup changes, the offensive and the coaching overall is just big question marks when looking back at this season.

I think fans should be disappointed with this season. More should have been expected out of this group. I hope we see a turnaround in the coming weeks and maybe it happens - I don't know. But some form of refocus better take place real quick if they want to do anything in the coming weeks.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. swampgas4412282

swampgas4412282 Member

Ratings Received:
    +64
    Our record against top 25 teams is 15-9 which is tops in the country. That's one reason our RPI is #1 and has been for several weeks. There are very few truly dominant pitchers this year in the top 25, which is unusual. Out match ups in the post season are more important this year than ever before.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1