SEC schedule 8 SEC games, 2 cross-div (1 permanent 1 rotate) & 1 game vs ACC, PAC,BIG10, BIG 12

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATORAZ, Apr 27, 2014.

1. SeaCay

SeaCay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +285
    UT has played UCLA recently.
  2. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,888
    Tennessee played a home and home with UCLA 4 or 5 years ago and Auburn played Washington State last year, but you're right, definitely not a lot of SEC vs Pac 12 matchups recently.
  3. 62gator

62gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +230
    To each his own........but I for one wanted to see the SEC go to 9 games. Multiple reasons, dropping one of the cupcake games was probably near the top.

I wonder what the vote looked like (i.e. who voted for and against 9 games)??

If they are going to stay with the 6-1-1 format they should change the way the east/west champions are determined. It's just not fair when teams don't only play the same teams in the other division.......or the same caliber. Example: UF plays LSU/Bama and Mizzu plays Arky/Miss St. How is that even close to being fair? The 6 games in your division should be what's counted first. The tiebreakers can be head-to-head then the two games against the other division.

The other item that will probably get lost in the statement the SEC put out is games against FCS teams will continue. I'm sorry but I hate this, hate it with a passion!!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +815
    Here's the quote:

"I'm disappointed in the fact that the leadership of our conference doesn't understand the competitive advantage permanent partners give to certain institutions," Alleva told the New Orleans Times-Picayune on Sunday. "I tried to bring that up very strongly at the meeting today. In our league we share the money and expenses equally but we don't share our opponents equally.

"Since 2000 LSU has played Florida and Georgia 19 times and Alabama has played them eight times. That is a competitive disadvantage. There are a lot of other examples."

http://espn.go.com/college-football...divisional-rivalries-tweaks-future-scheduling

I think UF has the same beef relative to UGA
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,888
    It's been a pet complaint of LSU, but barring the SEC adding another two schools and changing the division format that was never going to change. Bama-Tennessee and Auburn-UGA are untouchable to the league.
  6. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +926
    I think it would be a bad idea to go to the 9-game schedule without first understanding how it would impact the 4-team playoff selection. We don't know exactly what the beauty contest is going to look like, so why make any major changes going into it? FLORIDA's schedule is fine. When we have a good team, we get extra quality SOS by playing in the SEC Championship Game and/or by playing in a solid bowl game. When we don't have a good team, we get our money's worth against team's like Georgia Southern.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  7. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +926
    Pffft, SEC Championships since 2000 (inclusive):

LSU - 4
    FLORIDA - 3
    Auburn - 3
    Georgia - 2
    Alabama - 2

LSU's only real gripe can be found in the 2006 season when they finished 6-2 (including a loss to us). Arkansas finished 7-1 with a loss to LSU, they played Tennessee, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt (9-15 combined SEC record) from the East that year. LSU played FLORIDA, Tennessee, and Kentucky (16-8 combined SEC record).

In other years they either lost to us and made it to the SECCG or they lost to us but also lost to the Western Division winner.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  8. navygator88

navygator88 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +204
    Had the SEC gone to 9 games, Foley would've either had the Cocktail Party moved on campus or replaced FSU with some FCS patsy. Foley has made it plenty clear we will never again have fewer than 7 home games as long as he is the AD.
  9. Diesel350z

Diesel350z Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +888
    10-4 against
  10. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +541
    So is the 1 rotating game a home-and-home or will it be a "one-off?"

I'm assuming the latter, but that means that we won't visit Tuscaloosa again until 2026? I guess they will finally return to G-ville in 2020.

I'd prefer to scrap the permanent rival and rotate the other 2 spots. That way we could play every other team in the conference during a player's career.
  11. aggie96

aggie96 Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    True, but we pick up UCLA in 2015 for a couple of years.
  12. GatorKWM

GatorKWM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,226
    And no one wants to. East Coast/West Coast travel is hard for college. I wish it wasn't. Personally, I'd love to dump FSU for a yearly match-up with Stanford. Maybe Bernie could get on board with that...
  13. aggie96

aggie96 Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    I like this method myself.

theroommateswitch.wordpress.com
    1. Keeps the historic SEC rivalry games in tact (the ones that matter)
    2. Every SEC team plays every other SEC team AT LEAST every other year
    3. Every SEC team completes a home & home with every SEC team at least every four years
    4. Preserves the SEC championship game
    I'm a big fan of this proposal. It is good for EVERY SEC team and the conference in general. Works in 8 and 9 game format. Very little downside. Real rivalry games are protected. LSU should like it b/c of Florida. Saban should like it b/c of frequent match-ups with every team. It levels the playing field for programs that are strong/weak (like UT recently). No team is ever more than one season away from going head-to-head.
    The 6-1-1 is complete sh*t IMO
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +567
    BAMA and UGA will be burning up the phone lines trying to schedule Duke every year for the foreseeable future.
  15. ufdocco

ufdocco Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    I would guess that the ADs from Colorado, Kansas and Indiana will be fielding multiple inquiries also.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. sierragator

sierragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +378
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the epic matchup we have been anticipating for years is finally about to happen. Stay tuned as the Alabama Crimson Tide and the Indiana Hoosiers clash on the gridiron in a battle for the ages" LOL
  17. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    What is the punishment for not complying with this?
  18. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    Yeah, it's unfortunate that some of the teams may get much easier opponents than others, but I like keeping our SOS tougher than the average SEC team.
  19. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,419
    Disagree on the 9 game schedule (although I see it happening sooner or later).

I do agree w/ you on the way the East & West winner is determined. The team w/ the best DIVISION record should represent the Division. If a team goes 6-0 vs. the division but 6-2 overall they should represent the divison over a 7-1 division team (who had a - seemingly - easier non-division schedule).
  20. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +407
    Mizzou will probably schedule Illinois on a permanent basis. Those kickoff games in the Ga Dome and the new one in Nashville will now probably reserve those for Bama, Auburn, or UT to play an ACC or Big 10 school every year.