SEC may change rules to allow alcohol sales at Cocktail Party and other neutral site games

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by navygator88, Mar 7, 2014.

1. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,984
    It also gives us another revenue stream for perhaps...an indoor practice facility. Face it, if people want to drink, they're going to drink...I know because I've seen myself do it. Does it really matter if you have a swig-fest two minutes before entering the stadium or three beers during the game.. I think that would be average because people aren't going to want to miss the game itself, it's the whole reason they're there to begin with.
  2. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,984
    If it does go to a home and home, we've dropped fifty between the hedges before and we can do it again...having said that, I still prefer the cocktail party. As far as fighting goes, it's Florida vs. Georgia; both fan-bases could be sober as priests on a Sunday morning and still want to try to kill each other....Booze or no booze.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,401
    Good point on it being tougher to bring liquor into the games. And I'm all for safe driving. People need to be responsible.

But again, people are "plowed" well before they come to the games. They get plowed the night before. And they get plowed after (at least some do).

All the way around, there is a ton less violence and obnoxious behavior than there was 30 years ago (at least that's what I saw when I went in 08 and 09). The fact that there's a ton less violence on Friday nights at the Landing, or on game day before the game, has nothing to do with beer sales during the game. The average fan attending these games have changed. For the better.

Personally, I don't think people drinking a couple of ten dollar beers during the game is going to change much, and I don't think most people are going to spend much more than that on beer during the game. The ones that really want to get/stay drunk will figure out ways to get booze into the stadium anyway. Those are the ones that are most likely to be an issue regardless of beer sales policy.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. navygator88

navygator88 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +213
    Even if the SEC does go to 9 games, I don't think the game will ever move to a home & home.

Between the payout the schools receive yearly from the city and other goodies, both schools make more money by having it in Jacksonville then on campus.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,984
    a couple of ten dollar beers? ok, now it's time to throw down!!!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,984
    not to mention the revenue it brings to the town of jacksonville itself.
  7. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +317
    Drinking and rivalries is a bad idea. People will die...Just saying.
  8. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,401
    The question isn't whether there will be drinking - there always has been and probably always will be a TON of drinking around this event. The question is whether there will be somewhat more drinking for the three hours or so during the game, and what the impact of that will be.

My guess is they'll be selling beer at $10 a pop (or more), like most major sporting events do these days, and that there won't be many people willing to spend a lot of money on ten dollar beers. And the people who really want to stay ripped are the people bringing in liquor with them anyway.

I think the real issue is the big picture of fan behavior of our two fan bases, and from what I saw in the 08 and 09 games I attended, fan behavior was generally pretty good. We joked around with Dawg fans before and after those games (consoled them afterwards) both years. One of my uncles even mooned a group of them and they ended up laughing and getting him a big drink.

In 09, me and my brother ended up with tickets on the UGA side and a group of big ole boys sitting behind us tried to tell us not to cheer for the Gators... in not so nice terms. And they were clearly liquored up (beer sales would have made no difference). Back in the day, some of them definitely would have blind side attacked us from behind. But this was just talking and when it was clear their verbal threats weren't working and we were ready for anything they wanted, their wives and girl friends led them out of there. And we apologized to some of the remaining Dawg fans around us for the ruckus, and they apologized to us for that group's behavior. All was cool from that point forward.

Even with the worst behavior we saw, it's a much different day than it used to be. From my more recent experience.