Sebelius Responds to Dying Girl ‘Someone Lives and Someone Dies’

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by diehardgator1, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,821
    Yep, but there is no way in hell doctors nor politicians are giving-up that kind on power.
  2. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,101
    But that's just it. An average Joe out there would opt to save a child. What happens if there is no child that matches their lung? What happens if the child has a horrible disease and will die even with the new lungs after a few years, and they go to them instead of to a teen (who for transplant purposes is an ADULT) who could live longer? Or to an adult who could live longer?

This is why there are medical guidelines in place and why organ donation is not assigned by the donor. Even with living donors, when you want to donate to someone you have to match.

Devil's Advocate - what if you have some family that says, well the organs can only go to a white Protestant child? You'd have to "respect" the family's wishes, but then others can sue on the base of their civil rights being violated...UNOS was the only way to ensure everyone was treated equally and just on the basis of their score/priority.
  3. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,101
    Seriously...you're just not going to see anyone else's point on this are you? NO ONE HAS SAID TO LET HER DIE! People are saying that by making an EXCEPTION you are undermining the system put in place to SAVE AS MANY LIVES AS THEY CAN...not just one. Not just one little girl that you've now fixated on as the poster child for this issue. They've opened the floodgates for lawsuits and now everyone that can afford a lawyer will be getting one.

You STILL haven't answered the argument about what will happen when the insurance companies start denying coverage because they've gone against the standard of care.

You've also IGNORED the number of TEENS who are on the ADULT list that would now get bumped in favor of pediatric patients. Are you telling me the life of a 10-year-old CF patient is more valuable than the life of a 13-year-old CF patient? Really?

You keep going back to the "well, just let her die *sarcasm intended*" reply instead of addressing the very real consequences of this case and now the others that are coming/will come, how this affects taxpayers when insurance won't cover, the lawsuits and counter-lawsuits in an already oversaturated legal system; which, by the way, takes time that these patients for the most part DON'T HAVE, and closes the window for the viability of organs. Because once one becomes available it's going to be an all-out bidding war for these organs now since everyone will parade a picture and say that their relative deserves it more.

Perhaps they should start writing essays as well and make it a contest. Because that's what they've now turned UNOS into - a contest of who has the better lawyer, the cuter kid, the best way to get their person into the press. God forbid you even need a transplant and you have to wait and get bumped repeatedly.
  4. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,717
    I don't understand that you can't see her unnatural early death is a for gone conclusion.

Its not like she had an accident that damaged her lungs and a transplant would give her a semblance of a long life. Even then she would be on drugs that suppress her immune system and make her a high risk for infections and rejection.

This girl has an incurable disease, one that even with a transplant will destroy her body over the next ten + years.

I can understand that the parents want her to live as long as possible, it is their daughter after all.

But I also think it is very selfish of them, no matter how long it is, this girl will have a life full of pain, doctors, serious medications and complications. She will be in and out of hospitals whatever the time she has left.

It is just the reality of the disease she carries.

It sounds like that I am heartless but I see it differently. I see it as the ultimate unselfish act.

Shower her will all the love you have now and make peace with it. She will never be in pain again, never suffer again.

Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should.