Screw the NCAA Tournament (sorta)

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by rserina, Feb 22, 2014.

1. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,998
    At this stage, I don't care what happens in March. What I want to see more than anything out of this season is for this tremendous senior class to clinch the third league title in the last four seasons--matching the number of SEC titles in the entire history of the program. Beyond that, I hope they can go undefeated at home and undefeated in the conference, putting the program record for consecutive wins and consecutive home wins out of reach for years to come. Everything else is icing on the cake. This team, and the 2010 class as a whole, has been too much fun to watch grow and compete and essentially rebuild the program into a national power to pin my assessment of it on a three-weekend, six-game tournament in March.
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +584
    We're winning it all. Book it. Write it down. Carve it in stone.

GO GATORS!!!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +626
    You really don't care what happens in March? Okaayyyyy....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 6
  5. Gtrfn4evr

Gtrfn4evr Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +197
    Agree.. the goal EVERY year is to win it all.
  6. ufgator865

ufgator865 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +378
    Third national title puts Billy is rarified air. This team deserves to play for and win the title
    • Agree Agree x 5
  7. GatorJason

GatorJason Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +117
    rserina, I'm with yah that this Gator basketball team has already accomplished things no other Gator teams has done and has a chance to achieve things in the SEC that no other Gator team has accomplished. If they win out or win SEC and SEC tournament, they deserve a special place in Gator history as one of the best teams ever. Unfortunately, that's not how things seem to work. Interest in the Gator basketball the team picks up after the football season and recruiting season are over and doubles during the NCAA tournament. For many, the regular season and SEC tournament are less important than the NCAA tournament. Unless this Gator team achieves another Elite Eight or better, many fans will not consider this to be a successful season.
  8. Swamp_of_Gators

Swamp_of_Gators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +747
    Regardless of what happens in the NCAA tournament, this was an outstanding season, and should be looked back upon as such.

With that said, I REALLY want these seniors last game to be a W.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    WE... COULD... GO... ALL THE WAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    I won't downvote you cause you're cool and all...but **** that crap. I care about now AND I care about March. I think it's possible to enjoy both...actually I know it is..because I'm doing it right now. I'm enjoying what we are doing now, and enjoying the thought of March success.
  11. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Sorry..but yes..a national title is more important than a conference title. Final four is about equal to regular and tourney titles, but not either. Sorry, but it's the same in CFB. I'll trade not going to the SEC title game for a national title like Bama did any day hombre.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +284
    I think what he's saying is let's celebrate the amazing accomplishments of this group of seniors and not be so focused on the dice roll known as the NCAA tournament. Winning three SEC titles in four years is truly fabulous.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +704
    Yes a title would be thrilling! But I just want them to win so I can see them keep playing. It will be very sad if they don't win NCAA tournament. But the real sadness would be not having a next game.
  14. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    I am with ya with the third league title and an unprecedented season. Let's get it done! As for March Madness the NCAA tournament, I feel this team has some unfinished business which is in their souls, but at the same time, these guys are patient. All the hard work for four years, experience of playing together that long will bring good things for this class. As long as I played and watched the game, I always wondered what it would feel like playing in the final four and making a shot to win a game, that feeling is in everyone of our team. It has been a great ride this season and the final stats are still unfolding, we are all enjoying this season, one for the record books. The players can't help feeling what is coming, we as fans an only enjoy each and every game. I don't feel the SEC Tournament can help us, but the NCAA is what the nation sees and feels about a program. For that reason, the pressure is on all teams for the six game shoot out and the Gators will be prepared. Even if we stumble, nothing can take away this awesome season for the record books.

One day Monument Men will be looking in a vault and find a book that says the Gators in 2014 went undefeated in the SEC and went to the final four! Now that is all for now, watch in Prime Time as to what the Gators did in the final four!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +626
    See, now THIS is a statement I can agree with. Even if we lost in the NCAA 1st round, the season has been a success. That doesn't mean I don't care what happens in March.
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,998
    Some of you must not get overstatement for rhetorical effect. You read a thread title and ignore the actual point of the post, viz., that this team has a chance to do more than any Gator hoops team in school history during the regular season. It may not even be close for second. But instead of being astounded at that fact, the post-football rabble clamors for us to sit players so we can possibly make a deeper run in the tournament.

The field is wide open this year. Wide open. Teams like Kansas, Duke, and Kentucky could get unbelievably hot because they have very special, rare talents on their teams. If we have a bad shooting night coupled with a surreal shooting night from our opponent, then we go home. For some here, that is a failure. I guarantee you the staff and kids won't look at it that way.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,998
    Oh, I completely agree. That was my point. You can sort of trace the volume on these boards by month from October going forward. And I think some responses here sort of indicate that gut instinct capitulation to CBS's "One Shining Moment" manipulation of American culture--sort of like the Super Bowl for 10 days over three weekends, where people who don't follow the sport all year show up in droves and your mother-in-law wins the family bracket challenge because she desperately wants the Aoocalypse to come and believes choosing the team called the "Devils" to win it all will hasten the Last Day.

The problem, of course, is that we continue to overlook what Donovan has accomplished with this team on a quotidian basis, the unbelievable turnaround of this program the current senior class has wrought, and the success of a season that has been completely independent of whether we win the national title or make the Final Four.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +954
    Billy is already in rarified air. 3d title puts him in bobby knight/coach k territory upper stratosphere ( I know I has more than 3 I'm being general) and he's not even 50 yet
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,998
    Ah, so you did just read the thread title rather than the post.
  20. chunks1

chunks1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +965
    Do you see it in your minds eye