SCOTUS says its alright to drop registered voters off rolls if they don't vote for 2 years...

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator_fever, Jun 11, 2018.

1. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,311
    Most rights have restrictions imposed by the courts, but they are narrow.

It likely would follow. That's what I am saying. Not sure why you would argue that though.

You are talking about imposing a duty in conflict with a right. That's fairly rare, like in the case of the draft. The burden is meaningless because if it's in conflict with a right, it's subject to a higher level of scrutiny. What compelling interest does the government have in everyone voting? Is making the remaining 40% of eligible voters that don't vote come to the polls or force them to positively opt out narrowly construed? Why would I have to get permission from the government to exercise my political speech rights by not showing up at the polls? What if I don't go and don't opt out in protest, can the government fine me? It doesn't matter how easy it is to vote, the question is more what compelling reason is there to force people who don't want to vote to do it or to have to ask permission not to?
  2. mutz87

mutz87 Famishus Vulgarus VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,702
    Why at all?
  3. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +30,909
    [​IMG]

Book of voter rolls in the future?:):)
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,311
    You and city think it's some huge conspiracy to deny people the vote, so make an argument. How long is reasonable or not? If you think it's never, what about people being enrolled in multiple districts and even after they are dead? Is that accumulation of bad information and the potential for fraudulent voting good for democracy? The simple thing to do is allow people who are ineligible to vote via provisional ballot and get the paperwork sorted out later if need be and that's actually the law in Ohio. The Ohio purging program also complied with federal law for cleaning the voter roles, which is what the court ruled on.

52 U.S. Code § 20507 - Requirements with respect to administration of voter registration
  5. philobeddoe

philobeddoe GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,970
    Purge people who’ve died and moved. I had a family member who moved, registered to vote in county of new residence and later received two jury notices from the county of residence and the county in which they’d previously lived ..... to report for jury duty on the same day.

She had to jump through hops to prove to Hillsbough County that she no longer lived there.
  6. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,894
    Purging deceased and moved out of state makes sense to me ( burden on the state not citizen) but unregistering a citizen because they didn’t vote in the last presidential train wreck or two is BS. Why unregister a voter who simply hasn’t voted? It’s a pain to deal with the DMV. I’ve had out of cycle elections sneak up on me and I generally pay attention.

Make registering and voting online and I’m in. Waiting in line to vote is old school.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +432
    And any of this is a moot point since there is no voter fraud of ANY significance. Those few instances that have been uncovered have been those associated with Absentee ballots and we're talking single digits.

I see this for what it is.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. grumpygator77

Ratings Received:
    +432
    prove to me that happens in triple digits--- and still that is so insignificant it is truly a ridiculous argument to make for this that will cost tons of money in time wasted.
  9. grumpygator77

Ratings Received:
    +432
    you clearly do not understand how the game is played.

Perhaps read my post: #29-- all of it.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. grumpygator77

Ratings Received:
    +432
    To add: all of this instigated by the party that abhors government intervention and constantly whines about "too much government in our lives" But of course only when they decide it suits them to take the opposite stance.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. philobeddoe

Ratings Received:
    +3,970

What’s the cost to write code that moves a voter registration from active to inactive if the voter has not cast a vote in XX months? I bet it’s nominal and since the guy/gal writing the code is a professional and on salary, there would be almost no incremental cost to write the code and execute the process.

And I don’t think there should be a need to send a notice to a registered voter who’s not been voting. They know the haven’t and likely don’t give a damn about voting, have moved, or are dead.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2018 at 10:21 AM
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,311
    The way they purge the deceased and people that move is generally by looking at how long they have not voted. If I move to a different district within the state and don't change my driver's license address, the state doesn't know I moved. If I move to a different state, the previous state doesn't know I left. There isn't some integrated system across the country that identifies who lives where at any given point in time (or anything even close to that), so they have to take an approach of expiring people who don't "seem" to live there anymore. The process that Ohio followed is the same one in federal law that has existed for decades and only now was challenged. The only issue with this particular law is that I see is whether the time frame is too aggressive. I have a separate problem if the guy was not allowed to vote provisionally on election day and allowed to update his registration later to confirm his vote.

Online voting is never going to happen. The tech isn't there to positively identify people (facial recognition, thumb prints) for all eligible voters and using the internet makes the process highly susceptible to hacking. There is also potentially an issue with undue influence if say an employer, church or family member wants to watch another person vote to ensure that their choice is the one they want. That still exists if you mail in your ballot, but you generally have the option to go to the ballot box where only you will know what you did. With most states having absentee ballots and early voting now, I think it's just lazy if someone can't be bothered to pick one of those options. I was in and out in 10 minutes when I voted for Tebow last presidential election.
  13. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,311
    All the states and the federal government disagree with you since they have been purging voter rolls for decades in order to keep their lists up to date under both Republican and Democratic governments. You wouldn't even be able to prove voter fraud in many cases if the voter still exists on the rolls of that district. There are also already issues with voting in a different district in places like NH where many New Yorkers who have a summer home might vote if their vote is more meaningful to a national election. Or issues with students that maintain dual addresses voting in the one that better suits their views. Those issues are fairly narrow, but never purging rolls might make forum shopping a bigger problem.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. mutz87

Ratings Received:
    +11,702
    Given how states have in fact purged and blocked and sought to disenfranchise people in a variety of ways throughout history, usually within a political environment that provides a huge and constant temptation and potential direct lever to turn elections, it would be foolish to play down such a temptation. It would be like thinking leaving a bottle of oxy in a room with an opioid addict woudln't lead to them taking those pills. If anything, even greater pressure should be put on government actors in such positions to not disenfranchise people. Not to mention, the arguments for making it easy have to varying extents been predicated on the misbelief that voter fraud is wide spread, when there simply isn't evidence of it.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,311
    None of that answers the question though. The Ohio law aligns with the VRA and federal law as I linked. Ohio didn't go out on a limb, they copied the process directly from the federal law. The only thing they did on their own was decide the period of time over which they would notify and purge voters. You are ranting about a situation that doesn't exist. The question is whether the time period is reasonable or not and why?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. mutz87

Ratings Received:
    +11,702
    lol, if that was a rant, then yours is a full-throated defense of disenfranchisement. :rolleyes:

The situation, or rather, the very potential always exists. That's the thing about being able to purge.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +30,909
    I haven't lived in Florida for 36 years. I was registered to vote and I would assume at some point my name was removed from the voter rolls. I don't see anything wrong with that, at least I have gotten a notice for jury duty in Orange County lately.
  18. philobeddoe

Ratings Received:
    +3,970
    Wonder how that works ... if it is county specific.

I moved from Florida for a little over 2 years to Orange County, CA. Registered to vote, obtained a drivers license, and registered the auto I moved from FL ..... in Orange County,CA. Changed auto insurance location to CA and didn't renew FL tags for the auto I moved. When I returned to FL, I had to re-register the auto since I'd not renewed tags and reported insurance coverage .... but my FL drivers license was still valid, although it had an old address on it.
  19. busigator96

busigator96 Hooked since summer 1997!

Ratings Received:
    +9,988
    Shouldn't homeless American citizens be able to vote as well?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. grumpygator77

Ratings Received:
    +432
    The situation that does not exist is voter fraud.
    So what is it that is so important to have these "purges" of the voter roles? Why is it that it appears this is supported in lock step with Republicans-- the party that is all about voter suppression?
    The government stores billions of bits of information on each and every one of us. But this is the information that is so important to get rid of.

The time period is unnecessary. The why is quite clear to me.

Again, I see this for what it is.
    • Winner Winner x 1