Scientific evidence why I prefer Softball to Baseball

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by 4everaGator, May 21, 2013.

1. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +185
    Sorry but I have to hijack this thread.

The last few posters have requested a NON stupid and a NON futile gesture be done on someones part. And I'm just the guy to do it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my car using a mindstream:
    [​IMG]
  2. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +40
    The ole miss girl gets my vote! She's hot.
  3. DarthGatorOne

DarthGatorOne VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Good stuff, PD!

I enjoy Gator baseball as much as I enjoy softball (not so much this year though). But I have really enjoyed softball and this team this year. After last year's debacle at the end of the season, I was very curious to see what kind of team Coach Walton and the Gators put on the field this year, especially considering how young they are. And I really didn't have very high expectations. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the preseason polls the "experts" picked them to finish 4th in the SEC East division and 7th in the SEC overall.

I've watched or listened to every game this season, and I have really enjoyed this team. They are very skilled, and it's obvious to me, at least, that they really are having fun playing the game. Moreover, even when they are down they never give up. They fight like hell and, like today, have clawed and scratched themselves to a number of come from behind victories. Even the games that they have lost were very close. I believe that all their losses were by one run except for two games where two runs were the margin of the losses.

In softball, I think even more than in baseball, a great pitcher like Sara Nevins, or even a hot pitcher, can dominate a game. In the last two games, I really don't think that the Gator batters were playing badly. I think that they faced three really good pitchers. They never faced Campbell or Streetman before today, and they are both excellent pitchers. But they kept scratching until Katy Medina left her claw marks on Streetman. And even though Hannah clearly didn't pitch her best game, she kept clawing and scratching too. Early on, it seems that she was behind on every count while the Gator batters were 0-2 in every count, but Hannah kept on keeping on.

And it's just fun to watch the "girls". Of course, they are young ladies, and I mean no disrespect, but at my age they are still "girls"; and they do "girly" things even out on the field. A little hop here, a little dance there, and other little things that they do, I find very feminine and endearing. And players for the opposing teams also show a little touch of femininity on the field from time to time. I can't remember which game it was, but I was watching one game with my Lady during the season and trying to teach her the game since she's Mexican and knows absolutely nothing about baseball or softball. One of the Gator batters hit a scorching liner to the first baseman. She managed to catch it, but it was like one of those line drives in "Peanuts" that knocks off all of Charlie Brown's clothes. The first baseman/baselady was really rocked and stunned. Then, after she collected herself, made sure that she still had all her body parts, and initiated an around-the-horn throw, she then casually reached down to the ground, picked up her earring, and re-affixed it into her earlobe. I turned to my Lady and said, "Now, that's something you don't see a lot of in baseball."

Since today's game was on ESPNU, and the ESPN Deportes channels here didn't allow me to watch the game, I listened to the audio feed via GatorVision and watched Gametracker, both on my tv thru a connection to my laptop. And I was almost as nervous listening to this game as I am listening or watching any Gator football game. I thought that the Gators were done after the top half of the 7th inning left them down by one run, but the bottom half of the 7th was really marvelous.

Congratulations to Coach Walton and the Ladies on a great win, and special congratulations to Katy Medina on her outstanding walk off hit. Her 1st hit in a month couldn't have come at a better time. As the late Jackie Gleason often said, "How SWEEEEEET it is!"

And "Ladies", I would greatly appreciate it if you run ruled UAB in the first game manana. I don't know if my old ticker can take another game like the one today.
  4. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +319
  5. GrubGator

GrubGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +57
    V>P....simple math equation explains it all
  6. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,029
    Lol wow, just wow.:grin:
  7. biloxiben

biloxiben Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Viewing the pictures, I just can't understand why I haven't traded in my football season tickets for softball season tickets. Silly me.
  8. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,859
    I thought you had that backwards then I realized you wrote a formula, and did not draw a picture.
  9. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,859
    That's a lot of talent coming in next year.
  10. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +28
    Nice pics Gboro!
  11. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +58
    I have to believe it is much harder to hit a 13 cubic inch ball at 100mph from 60 feet away than it is to hit a 30 cubic inch ball at 70mph from 45 feet away.
  12. 4everaGator

4everaGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    The fact is, the reaction time that a hitter has in softball is less. The ball is bigger in softball but the the bat barrels are smaller so that pretty much washes. Every major leaguer that tried to hit off a good softball pitcher has looked foolish.
  13. col_kurtz

col_kurtz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    The release point is a big factor as well.
  14. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +507
    I've seen good baseball hitters struggle at slow-pitch softball. There's an adjustment period. The real test would be giving a baseball team time to prepare to hit a softball pitcher, and comparing that with a softball team having time to prepare to hit a baseball pitcher.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  15. 4everaGator

4everaGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Would love to see this sometime. We have talked about this as softball parents several times, it would be a cool fundraiser to schedule some meetings between baseball and softball players. While the position players could adjust fairly easily, we always had a logistical problem with the pitching. The boy pitchers aren't going to be able to pitch underhand very effectively and while girl pitchers could probably get it over the plate overhand, they would no doubt get lit up. So you would have to "lend" your pitching to the opposition, not really workable if you are playing a competitive game. The only way to do this fairly would be to get pitching from other teams. You would have to find equally good pitching to step in and pitch when girls are hitting softball or boys are hitting baseball. Might work if you shorten the games to 5 or 6 innings.
  16. adamgator96

adamgator96 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +45
    Working on a show in Toledo a few years back, we got to play the University of Toledo women's softball team in a scrimmage. Our ragtag team won (we were provided a pitcher and catcher), although I doubt we could have beaten the baseball team. Different beasts altogether.

I don't mean to take anything from our ladies, but I am saying that hitting a baseball well is harder than hitting a softball well.