"School privatization is a hoax, “reformers” aim to destroy public schools"

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Sep 15, 2013.

1. MichaelJoeWilliamson

MichaelJoeWilliamson Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    Here is a related article

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2013/09/26/is-progressivism-derailing-school-reform/
  2. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I encourage every one that has children, if at all possible, to home school and/or private school/parochial school their kids. We home schooled parochial/church schooled our son, then went on to get BA in bidness admin., and a MDiv. (Masters in Divinity). Now he's got one year till he gets his Doctor of Chiropractic from Palmer in Port Orange. I wish he would go to work already, but now he's thinking about law school. When I was in school, the system was in a pretty good shape, I think, but now its about indoctrinating kids, as the liberals have taken over the public school system. Best way to avoid the agenda is to avoid the public school system as best you can.
  3. AzCatFan

AzCatFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +643
    And I would encourage parents to do their own research and make their best, informed decision. My wife and I both work and need both incomes. Home schooling was never an option. We aren't religious, and I'm Jewish, so parochial schools weren't much of an option either. We checked out a few charters in the area, plus the local public school, and in the end, decided the public school was the best option.

Our daughter is now 8, I'm third grade, and we all can't be happier with our school choice. My girl is in the Accelerated Learning Program and is above level in all areas. She also has some great friends and truly loves going to school every day. Of course, your mileage may vary, but I wouldn't discount any option for anyone based on my opinions alone.
  4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,373
    so you have supported three degrees and seriously considering supporting a fourth??? wow, sounds like your son will be 50 before he starts getting a paycheck at this rate, professional student defined...

we did private school till 9th grade and now kids are in first year of IB program at the only public school in our area that wife would accept.
  5. geauxgator1

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    We sent him to a Jewish preschool, and kindergarten, as it was in our neighborhood, and it was great, he made some good friends, some lived in our neighborhood, that he still keeps in touch with after all these years. After preschool and kindergfarten it was a combo home and church school.
    As I said, IF you can swing it, keep them out of public schools. It is a challenge sometimes when those bills come in, and if we had more than one kid, it may have not been possible.
  6. geauxgator1

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I'm broke, and he's managed with his business background to make it work, and some help from other relatives to pay some of his tuition. I hope he goes to work honestly, but for some reason he's seriously considering law school. He's on his own after chiropractic, however. He'll have to probably borrow form this point forth, if he can.
  7. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +722
    Homeschooling or discriminately choosing a private school is desirable for reasons other than having control over the curriculum and other academic considerations. It allows parents to have better control over otherwise unsupervised contact and associations their children might have with the children of parents who are not as concerned or involved. Children are impressionable and it is our responsibility as parents to filter who and what they are potentially exposed to in a morally lax society.
  8. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +381
    Morally lax is an understatement. Morally corrupt more likely.