San Francisco Airport Uses Tax-payer Funds To Construct Prayer Space For Muslims

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Jun 18, 2013.

1. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +658
    Is it "pure silliness" for school districts to plan their calendars to accommodate the religious preferences of Jews in the district? Was it "pure silliness for school cafeterias to serve only fish on Fridays because some of the children eating there were Catholic and abstained from meat on that day? Many schools still do this during Lent.

Why is it okay for accommodations and courtesies towards Christians and Jews but not Muslims?
  2. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,000
    Yes, I do think it's pure silliness on both of those accounts. The children could miss school and make-up the work. They could also bring their own food on those days from home. I think if the majority of your population fits a certain description, then changing things to fit their ideas/beliefs makes sense. If the school is in a district that happens to have a majority of Jews as their students, I think it would be understandable to make that kind of change.
  3. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +658
    Do you think it unconstitutional for the U.S. military to pay for chaplains to minister to military personnel?
  4. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,692
    They provide chaplains for any faith. Pluralism in action, rather than forced atheism. It is probably the model for what correct understanding of the establishment clause would look like.

Our reality in Lemonville America is that we not only have had the establishment clause perverted into de facto state atheism in most circumstances, we also have a major religion to which Lemon simply doesn't apply. Does anyone know of a time when an Islamic interest or preference or accommodation was found to violate the establishment clause? I sure don't.
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,336
    Would you expect that you would find many examples WRT a religion that comprises less than 1% of the population?
  6. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +1,692
    Would I expect greater than zero? Yes. Population is not reflective of the determination with which a religion seeks accommodation, after all. I think the main reason there aren't any banner establishment clause cases targetting Islam, though, is Islamophobia. Which is to say, the wretches who make hounding any and all religious elements from public life don't want to go the way of any Danish cartoonists.
  7. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,336
    Sure it is. I see more Christians complaining about not having prayer in schools, or about religious symbols being taken down in school, or lauding someone for reciting the Lord's prayer at a graduation. That's because Christians constitute a massive portion of the population, have significant political power, and tend to dominate many institutions, which is why many of the symbols and school prayer were in schools to begin with. Muslims, not so much.
  8. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +519
    But...these Christians are not accommodated despite their numbers.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  9. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,336
    Yes they are. Are Christians prevented from praying in schools? Meeting in public spaces? No. Michi claims "forced atheism," but there's nothing of the kind. What isnt accomodated is official sanction, like faculty led prayer, or forced religious activity. That isnt accommodated for Muslims either.
  10. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +1,692
    A footbath in which one actively takes part in a religious ritual strikes me as an obviously closer involvement with/advancement or establishment of a preferred religion in the public square than an artistic display of a nativity or the 10 commandments, a memorial cross on remote parts of government land, or merely calling the exact same tree with the exact same decorations a "Christmas tree" and not a "holiday tree" could ever be.

You let me know whenever anyone even goes into court to argue that something Islamic violates the Establishment clause, let alone successfully.
  11. squigator

squigator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +104
    And exposing Muslims to gay men getting it on inside the terminal restrooms could be dangerous.
  12. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +658
    Okay, I went searching to see what I could find and though it does not directly involve the Establishment clause, what I found is troubling.

Remember the Muslim math teacher who, after teaching less than one year, asked for 3 weeks off to make the Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca. The Illinois school district denied her request as the 3 week period was at the end of the marking period.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/...58_1_safoorah-khan-muslims-middle-school-math

I think this is an egregious overstep by the justice department. Curious what you law types have to say about it.
  13. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    Seems like there would be an ordinance (or simply an airport regulation) against using public restroom sinks for bathing to prevent the homeless from moving in. Wouldn't washing feet be covered under this prohibition?