San Francisco Airport Uses Tax-payer Funds To Construct Prayer Space For Muslims

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Jun 18, 2013.

1. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,723
    "Lemon" doesn't apply against Islam, is the takeaway. In fact, I'm at a loss for an example of state action favoring Islamic religious practice ever having been deemed a violation of the Establishment Clause under "Lemon". Not saying it has never happened, but it sure has never happend prominently.
  2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +535
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wudu

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  3. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,024
    Installing a hand-sanitizer pump wouldn't have been more beneficial for everyone?

:grin:
  4. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,418
    Your issue is with the way the article classified it?

Look at the actual action of the airport: they installed a spigot. I'm willing to bet that there is nothing there saying "Holy Muslim spigot" and that the airport authority wouldn't try to stop you from turning on the spigot as a non-Muslim if you really wanted to.
  5. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +1,723
    Y'know, I have a feeling that you're not going to have a lot of non-Muslims lining up to find out what would happen if they were to use the Great and Secular Spigot in any but the most humbly and religiously appropriate way.
  6. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +1,418
    Since prior to this they were apparently using the bathroom sink, I would guess (I don't know, but seems reasonable) that other people using the spigot is probably not a huge deal.
  7. WESGATORS

Ratings Received:
    +535
    You lose the "practicality" argument as soon as you suggest this is a general purpose wash area.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  8. MichiGator2002

Ratings Received:
    +1,723
    The sinks weren't "theirs". The spigot will be, in every possible way except name. Let's go to the airport and see -- will any non-muslim cabbies or other patrons be stooping at the most sacred of spigots to try to wash a coffee stain out of their shirt, or refill a water bottle? Lawl. Sure they will. Because it's just like the sinks! No, they won't, because they'll be wary of getting their ass beat down.
  9. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +1,418
    Why?

The Muslim cab drivers have a need for water, this previously required them to enter the terminal. Everyone benefits (i.e., faster cab line, not having people washing their feet in the bathroom sink, etc.) by providing a spigot in the garage.

If someone else has a need for water in the parking garage without having to go in the terminal, their ability to use this spigot as well doesn't change the fact that not making the cab drivers go inside is more convenient for everybody.
  10. WESGATORS

Ratings Received:
    +535
    Ben, because of the line "if someone else has a need for water in the parking garage." I don't honestly believe you typed that with a straight face.

What are we thinking here, 1% usage for other purposes? Maybe 0.5%?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  11. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +1,418
    It's no less conceivable than the idea that people may need to use the airport chapel for non-religious reasons. I have never really needed a spigot in a parking garage, but I have never really had a need to go kneel in front of a bench with a stained glass window behind it in an airport for any nonreligious reason (or any reason at all actually) either.

Is it the airport authority being accomodating in each case? Sure. But you're welcome to do something else with the accomodation in each case too, no matter how unlikely anyone actually wanting to do so may be in either case.
  12. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +858
    i know i'd gladly trade a nice air conditioned chapel probably with padded pews for a parking garage with a metal bench and the lovely smell of cab drivers feet. just to get at those damn muslims.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. WESGATORS

Ratings Received:
    +535
    I don't think a "center for quite reflection and meditation" constitutes a religious facility.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  14. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +1,418
    Which also plainly isn't what it is. My point is that the "center for quiet reflection" - which just so happens to have an alter, pews, stained glass, and prayer benches typically - is, at the very least, just as much of a religious accomodation as a spigot in the parking garage is.

But we turn our heads, say that other people are free to use them too, and let people go about their business with the accomodation in each case.
  15. WESGATORS

Ratings Received:
    +535
    No it's not, that's not even remotely close to the same thing, and even if it was "religious" in nature, it would accommodate more than just Christians (ever heard of the Baughman Center? Think just Christians go here? Do you consider that a religious building?)

Again, the issue here is that a specific religion is being promoted/sponsored here, I'm not sure how you work your way around that.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  16. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +559
    no it won't, there is nothing holy about the spigot. All they need is clean water, not blessed water. Hence why water from the bathroom sink or bottled water did the trick.

As for any specific room to pray in, they don't need one. They carry their pray rugs and only need to face Mecca and pray 5 times a day.
  17. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +1,418
    There's nothing distinctly religious about a spigot either. Why is a chapel there? Largely because Christian people want there to be. Why is there a spigot there? Largely because Muslim people want there to be. That's my point.
  18. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,357
    People petitioned the airport for a reasonable accomodation. The airport agreed for a number of reasons, none to do with endorsing a religion. Indeed, its seems like the airport wanted to keep them away from the regular bathrooms to make other people happy too. To me, such accomodation isnt much different than a school letting someone use the cafeteria for an afterschool FCA meeting (or any other group). Its a reasonable accomodation, and not one that specifically favors one religion over another. A water spigot or empty room don't endorse a religion.
  19. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +559
    What people are missing is they were already praying outside in the garage where they park their cabs. Walking inside to wash up and back outside to pray. Putting in the spigot keeps them from coming inside the airport. That is all.
  20. WESGATORS

Ratings Received:
    +535
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapel
    Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS