San Francisco Airport Uses Tax-payer Funds To Construct Prayer Space For Muslims

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mocgator, Jun 18, 2013.

1. mocgator

mocgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +731
    Are you kidding me?

http://patdollard.com/2013/06/disgu...-funds-to-construct-prayer-space-for-muslims/

The top comment (as of this writing) on this SFGate sums up the main problem with this: “So we have to remove any reference to god from the pledge of allegiance, federal court houses, federal buildings, and who knows where or what else? Yet we can build Muslims a place to bathe in a federal airport so they can also pray on federal airport property? What the $&@? are we doing? The same group of people who are telling us that the Koran tells some of them to kill innocent people, even their own women and children?”

Also, it appears that public money was used for this. Would public money have been used for religious accommodation for Jews or Christians? But “Yakel says the costs were nominal.” Oh, that’s all right, then!
  2. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,452
    Is it really "constructing a prayer space"? Even when looking at the biased source you posted, it appears that this consisted of installing a sink in an airport parking garage.
  3. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,069
    LOL, just wait until one of them blows themselves up at the airport.
  4. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
  5. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    [​IMG]

Appears to be a bit more than just a "sink in an airport parking garage" to me. Regardless, aren't you kind of missing the point? Now if a couple of Christian taxi-cab drivers, or ANY RELIGION WHATSOEVER, gets some signatures for his pals for a special "prayer corner," will SF oblige?
  6. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,308
    always good for a laugh, Moc ....
  7. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +2,452
    I'm sorry, a trough with a spigot.

I've never flown through San Fransisco, but most airports that I have been to (particularly in the south) have a "chapel" in them to start with.
  8. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Moc, it might behoove you to include the original link to the actual article, my friend. They're only going to focus on the fact that your link is to some random blog, as opposed to a link for the San Franciso Chronicle where the story originally came from.
  9. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Either we've just been going to different airports or I don't notice, but I can't think of a single airport these days that has a chapel. Atlanta? Jacksonville? DFW? These are the one's I've frequented the most, which I don't recall any of them having a "chapel."

Regardless, the point stands, will they provide the same accomodations for any religious group that wants it?

It doesn't matter how much they spent, or how convenient it was - it's like when I'm subbing classes, If I accomodate a specific request of one of the kids, and the other kids notice, I can only expect to have to accomodate the requests of more. So I treat them equally - If one kid gets to listen to music on his phone after finishing his work, they all get to listen to music after finishing their work. It's the same principle.
  10. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,353
    Accommodating the snake handlers should prove a challenge.
  11. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,617
    Doesn't seem to pass "Lemon" to me, at least based on the blurb facts, but... I don't think "Lemon" exists other than to expurgate any sign that people might be Christian. People are probably a bit too "islamophobic" to turn the establishment clause guns on Muslims.
  12. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,177
    If it involves cleaning your hands in a garage with a water spigot, sure.
  13. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,308
    Come on, it's more fun for him to post a blog that claims the San Francisco airport is federal property.
  14. mocgator

mocgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +731
    Close your eyes and imagine San Fran Airport posting the 10 commandments somewhere... get the picture?
    • Like Like x 1
  15. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +2,452
    Atlanta has three: http://www.atlanta-airport.com/Passenger/CustomerService/interfaithChapel.aspx

I don't fly through JAX, so no idea there, but both Tampa and Orlando do.

DFW has five chapels. http://dfwairportchapel.org/find_a_chapel.html
  16. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +2,452
    If some aspect of Christianity involved washing your hands, I'm sure that they would be willing to build a sink in the parking garage for them too.

As much as anything else, this seems to have been done because having cabbies come inside the terminal to wash their hands and feet in the bathroom was freaking people out.
  17. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    What if it involves something else? If I create a religion today that requires the smelling of poopy-diapers, get 300 San Franciscan residents to sign an agreement for needing them(I think in SF I believe this actually could be done) - would the airport provide a smelling room with poopy-diapers for smelling?
  18. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Well, there you go -- I guess I don't really notice that type of thing. However, Christians do make up, what, like 70% of this country if not more, essentially founded this country, and will continue to be a majority of the religious folks in this country for at least another 30-50 years, and that Islam's influence on the U.S. history, culture, and foundations isn't even remotely comparable to that of Christianity's. But I digress, if another religious institution wants something installed and gets the signatures - will they oblige? And how many religions are they willing to oblige?
  19. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,617
    So if the airport wanted to install a baptismal font, that would be cool with you?
  20. tim85

tim85 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Hm -- and look, each chapel is for a specific purpose, and "Its patterns and colors are meant to speak to persons of every faith.". As long as these Muslims won't mind Catholics and Mormans praying in their space and using their sink, I'm all for it.

I'd be willing to bet all of these chapels are "interfaith," which kind of makes your point irrelevant, doesn't it? The one in San Francisco was built specifically for one kind of faith, while these others are specifically open for all faiths/