Sam Horsfield turning pro

Discussion in 'Men's Gator Sports!' started by gatorbogey, May 23, 2017.

1. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +7,513
  2. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +10,219
    This surprised me a little, kind of thought the horrid finish to the season might fuel some fires. Sam didn't play well at regionals and lost a key match vs vandy when uf was eliminated in the sec tourney. But he certainly had a fine 2 years and is talented enough to go....I just worry his inconsistency may mean he has to grind for a while
  3. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +4,153
    Being an individual sport, is there an advantage to stay? Do these players not find a sponsor. I would think they could make enough money to support themselves. The #250 player in the world made $62,000.00. A decent number of players made that in 1 event.
  4. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +10,219
    The guys on the satellite tours struggle mightily to make ends meet. It will be up to Sam's play to determine his financial future. Leaving will allow him to focus on his game, but he won't have the degree to fall back on if needed. I'm sure he believes he can make it to the tour eventually
  5. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +2,337
    Phil M had a great comment when on Feherty. He stayed in college after "winning" a PGA event. Because he enjoyed college so much he figured one yr of lost income in a sport he would play decades was nothing. That the money lost was not > than one more yr on the golf team.

It depends on the person. If one can enjoy college, classes, practice, team mates, etc, then stay. If one prefers to go pro like Speith did, then do that.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1