Salvation Army

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatormb, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +805
    In another thread River stated that he saw no evidence that Christianity (religion) had positive effects on society. Thought the Salavtion Army deserved a thread of it's own.

The Salvation Army is serving more people in the United States than ever before. We are already seeing large increases in the number of Americans seeking the basic necessities of life - food, shelter, and warmth. Approximately 30 million people received help from The Salvation Army in 2012.

[​IMG]

Support for Adults

[​IMG]

Children and Families

[​IMG] International
    Disaster Relief
    About The Salvation Army

"Doing The Most Good." In these four words, our mission - to feed, to clothe, to comfort, to care. To rebuild broken homes and broken lives. By walking with the addicted, we can lead them to recovery. In fighting hunger and poverty, we can feed and nurture the spirit. And, in living and sharing the Christian Gospel by meeting tangible needs, we give the world a lasting display of the love behind our beliefs.

The Salvation Army operates 7,546 centers in communities across the United States. These include food distribution, disaster relief, rehabilitation centers, anti-human trafficking efforts, and a wealth of children's programs. Our work is funded through kettle donations, corporate contributions, and the sale of goods donated to our Salvation Army Family Stores. Eighty-two cents of every dollar we spend supports our various missions across the country. We are a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization, and contributions are deductible for Federal Income Tax Purposes to the extent permitted under Section 170(b)(2) for corporations.

Our mission: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,661
    It is a good Christian institution, with good people, doing good.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,480
    Without getting into all the reasons why (you can google them up yourself if you want), I would never, ever consider donating to the Salvation Army.

They aren't solely a charity, they're also a political organization and a church (and a slightly cult-ish, insular one at that) that supports a number of positions that I disagree with and, in some cases, consider to be absolutely abhorrent.
  4. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +1,661

Do tell, and expand about your cultish critique. Enquiring minds would like to know.

Years ago, they helped my family in a time of need. That is my anecdotal experience with them
  5. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +1,480
    The cultish thing is mostly their (admittedly, now officially relaxed somewhat I believe) position that "officers" can only marry other "officers" and are kicked out of the church if they marry an outsider.
  6. chompalot

chompalot Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +328
  7. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,110
    Only if you really believe the BS from the anarchist blog you posted. That is some sad blogging there.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. chompalot

Ratings Received:
    +328
    It cites 17 references. Like I said, I have to rethink donating to them and maybe cease having them as one of the charities that I give to.

The site has some interesting recommended links.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  9. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +1,110
    It cites references, yes. Did you check them out? Batshit crazy people out there.
  10. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +805
    Would be interested in reading that link.

Do know their VIPER program has helped millions with addictions and kept many out of jail.

Believe the homeless policy is two weeks free (plus cold weather) and $10 when passing the drug/alcohol test.

The Truth: According to the Salvation Army, Commissioners W. Todd Bassett and his wife Carol A. Bassett jointly received basic living allowances and grants totaling $64,210 for 2004 plus housing valued at $34,116. That is still considerably less than the salaries of some of the other top charities.

Marsha J. Evans, the president of the American Red Cross, was paid $651,957 in 2004. The president of the United Way is now Ralph Dickerson Jr. and his current salary is $420,000 per year, according to the Chronicle of Philanthropy.

UNICEF C.E.O. and President Caryl M. Stern earned $478,645 in 2009 according to a Better Business Bureau report. The Better Business Bureau also said that Brian Gallagher, CEO of The United Way earns $1,037,410 in 2008.
  11. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +1,661

Gotta love those secular, do-good, non-profits.
  12. AndyGator

AndyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +151
    I've supported the Salvation Army in the past and have no plans to throw them under the bus. If you investigate deep enough, I think you will find that there are very few purely volunteer charities out there. There is always some kind of overhead costs.
  13. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +1,480
    The costs aren't the issue that I have with the Salvation Army. And I don't deny that they certainly do lots of good for some underserved communities.

My issue is that, for me, there are charities who do good without also espousing institutional beliefs that I strongly disagree with that - in certain circumstances - bleed into their charitable work. And I would prefer that my charitable dollars not have the side effect of propagating political and social positions that I have no desire to support.
  14. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +805
    Make sure you tell the bell ringer why you stiffed them. BTW, most bell ringers are those being helped.
  15. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +805
    Certainly, but did you note that 82% gets to those in need.

Just this week I got a call from a Families of Fallen State Trooper's charity. Told the solicitor to forward me proof of how much went to the families and how much was overhead including the cost of fund raising. He said they complied with Florida law. When pressed his answer was "at least 10%". SA is 82%.
  16. Gatormb

Ratings Received:
    +805
    Just to be clear, you have a problem with them having Christian values and sharing the Gospel?
  17. chompalot

Ratings Received:
    +328
    I'm not about to antagonize a bell ringer. :rolleyes:
  18. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +1,480
    I have a problem with their "curing gay" position that they have recently tried to whitewash (the links to "ex-gay" organizations disappeared off their website in November). I disagree with their Church's positions on a number of social issues, including the positions that euthanasia and gambling should be illegal, the restrictions on abortion they support, their positions on using the legal system to make alcohol and drugs less widely available, and a number of other ones.

Flatly, I support a quite socially free society, including the freedom to do things that I disagree with, on the theory that people can take responsibility for making their own choices - even ones I don't like. The Salvation Army has a number of positions that are facially inconsistent with that belief, so I don't want to financially support them.

I also don't think social work should be conditioned on evangelism - charity should be for the sake of helping others and shouldn't be to try to bribe the vulnerable into subscribing to your belief system. Certain of their charitable activities trend towards the latter position.

In essence though, it's mostly that I don't want to be paying for them to advocate and spread positions that I personally disagree with, hence I don't donate to them. I don't have a problem with them existing, but it's not the right venue for me to donate to since they tie so much of their work into advocacy and positions on issues that I don't support, and I'm not interested in paying for someone to push political positions that I would never want.

So in short, no I don't have a problem with them having their version of "Christian values" or sharing their interpretation of the Gospel, but I sure don't want to be paying for it, hence I don't donate to them.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. dynogator

dynogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    And who could argue with your reasoning, Ben? I very much doubt the conservatives are making donations to Planned Parenthood, the ACLU, or Greenpeace.
  20. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +1,110
    Equating the SA with those aint exactly apples to apples. But Ben makes his case well. It would be hard to argue that the SA does more harm than good though, IMO.