Sad Fact is Muschamp would Play Driskel..

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GatorDad, Sep 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GatorDad

GatorDad New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0

Wasn't Winston behind a 1st round NFL pick QB, that now starts in the NFL. Who was Driskel competing against? I think you have things backwards to the actual facts.
  2. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +486
  3. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Ratings Received:
    +145
    It's getting close to being a conspiracy theory. It seems as if wanting to run it to death and control TOP and have the slowest tempo that huddles every single play is being done solely to protect the defense and not actually score. The O is not there to run the clock and keep the D fresh and on the sidelines every single possession. It's there to score every single time possible. Our coach(es) seem to not believe that is the priority of the O.
  4. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    FSU? Play a team with a pulse? Which team would that be besides us? Bethune Cookman? Maryland? NC State? Wake? Syracuse? Miami? Congratulations to Miami for beating us but they hardly looked like a very good team. Clemson? Excellent offense, no defense. And there you have FSU's schedule before the last game of the season. I don't see a team on there with a pulse except Clemson and they have no defense.
  5. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    You know what offense truly did not try to score when they had the ball? Nevada.

They refused to play their all-star starting QB at all against FSU because they wanted to save him for the conference games that matter. Really. So they started their back-up. And he was moving the ball at will against the noles until he hurt his knee. Even then, Nevada refused to play their starting QB and instead put in their freshman third stringer.

Did any of you actually watch the game?? Winston was far from great.

When the game was still in some doubt Winston threw a terrible pick on an overthrow that led to a Nevada TD and then got sacked twice and looked generally lost. After the back-up QB went down the Nevada coaches put in the freshman third string QB. It then became clear the coaches weren't trying to win and the Nevada defense promptly and emphatically quit. Only then did FSU's offense come to life. And even then Winston really didn't heat up until after the game was a full on blow out (Freeman actually keyed the onslaught with two long TD's).

Frankly that's a classic Jimbo Fisher QB pattern. Get tons of yards when the game is over and tons of INTs when the game is in doubt. Winston may be all that, but not because anything he showed today.

Driskel against Miami >> Winston against Nevada.
  6. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    ^Don't bother with sound reasoning and logic.
  7. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Worst thread of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  8. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    I'm not sure what you watched, but Winston was 8 for 8 for 2 touchdowns to end the half, BEFORE their backup QB got hurt. He heated up then. It was 3-7 Nevada when he went on to complete 13 straight passes. He threw the ball 5 times in the 3rd quarter before going to the bench. Not sure how you are saying he didn't heat up until the second half when he threw his two touchdown passes in the first half, when the game was still close.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=332570052

Winston had one bad pass. Maybe the only wildly inaccurate pass of the 45 that he's thrown this season. Driskel had several bad plays against Miami. But maybe quality of opponent makes the difference on why you'd say Driskel was better. I'm not seeing it but you're entitled to that opinion. lol

Btw, Freeman didn't score two long touchdowns. He didn't even score one long one. Winston also didn't get sacked twice. I'm honestly not sure what you watched.
  9. qwghlmgator

Ratings Received:
    +152
    Sorry Blckblack but Nevada's QB was barely able to walk on the two possessions before that touchdown drive. That game was over. Everybody in the stadium could tell he couldn't play and the game was over.

Winston and FSU was terrible until the Nevada QB got hurt. Spin it however you want.

Being a nole boy, I'm sure you're used to having to have people explain what happened in the game to you.
  10. qwghlmgator

Ratings Received:
    +152
    OK so on one he go tackled on the one. And the second long TD was Karlos Williams. A safety. Three plays, two TDs to start the second half - 125 of the 131 yards on the ground. You're splitting hairs that make no difference in the analysis. Freeman broke their back at the start of the second half. Not Winston. And Nevada wasn't even trying to tackle him.
  11. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,053
    I'm pretty sure Winston threw a pick BEFORE the second half. Regardless, he looked solid against another crappy defense. Until he actually plays a team with a pulse, we really won't know much. Pitt is atrocious, and Nevada isn't much better.
  12. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    I'm letting you have the view that Driskel was better. lol if that's how you see it then have at it with that.

I'm just pointing out that your "analysis" wasn't accurate. When you say Winston didn't heat up until "after it was a blow out" yet Winston was 8 for 8 for two TDs while down 3-7, then I'll point out that your statement was wrong. When you say Freeman broke their back with two long TDs, yet the long TD was actually Karlos Williams, I'll point it out. I'll also point out that Winston broke their back before the half by tossing two great TD passes, on the way to 13 straight completions and 3 touchdowns by the 3rd quarter.

If you want to say the game was over at 3-7 (which is a spin, not a fact) then have at that too. Come to whatever conclusion you want.

Just be honest with the details when you're writing the narrative.
  13. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    I think he would play Driskel because he is a better handed offer and a better blocker. That's what you need in a QB nowadays. Football has changed since the Spurrier days. You guys just don't get it.
  14. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    I'd agree that the 7 points FSU allowed isn't really indicative of the struggles they are having. I don't know if it's the switch in scheme or new starters but the defense has clearly taken a step back. They aren't very disciplined. People talk about Clemson but I think Maryland (and their running QB) will give the FSU D a ton of problems. If there is going to be a Jimbo special this year, it'll probably be that game.

FSU came out flat today. Looking around the country though, it seems like more than a few ranked teams did.
  15. qwghlmgator

Ratings Received:
    +152
    I'm sorry you weren't able to watch the game nole boy, but the ESPN recap doesn't tell the whole story. :yes:

That Nevada team collapsed when their QB got hurt and it was clear their star QB was not going to play no matter what. If you want to say Winston heated up against a defense that was still playing like it was for the first quarter and a half be my guest (I'll just stand over here with the ESPN guys who were saying the same thing). I know it's been so long since you've had a competent quarterback you're gonna build Winston up as the second coming of Danny Weurffel regardless of the actual evidence. :yes:

But you're wrong. :yes:

Oh and check Jimbo's career-long history of developing quarterbacks. If you think having a 2013 version of Jamarcus Russell is great, then you're in luck. And so are our defensive backs. :yes:

Oh, and check my post. Didn't I say the second TD was by a failed safety with a father that got banned from this board? OK so I didn't mention ole Polk Ribs. Sorry. :yes:
  16. qwghlmgator

Ratings Received:
    +152
    Oh, and don't look now but you nole boys got problems on the OL again. And now at DE.
  17. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    That Nevada team collapsed when their QB got hurt and it was clear their star QB was not going to play no matter what.

They collapsed when their defense allowed 8 straight completions for 2 touchdowns to end the half.

If you want to say Winston heated up against a defense that was still playing like it was for the first quarter and a half be my guest (I'll just stand over here with the ESPN guys who were saying the same thing).

First quarter and a half...it was only 3 drives lol. One of them a 77 yard drive that would have ended with a TD pass had the WR kept his foot in bounds. They played well 2 out of 3 drives. Horay?

They were 3 minutes away from going into the half with the lead. Their D was pumped. But I guess you like the narrative better that they were ready to get on the plane and go home, despite 3 minutes away from a halftime lead.

Trash talk.

Cool story.

Oh, and check my post. Didn't I say the second TD was by a failed safety with a father that got banned from this board? OK so I didn't mention ole Polk Ribs. Sorry.

You edited your post. I'd begun responding before you edited in Karlos.
  18. Blackblack

Blackblack Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +136
    This is true. I like the starting 5 but knew one injury would expose the lack of depth. Tre Jackson hurt, and in two games the backup guard has allowed two sacks and 2 or 3 penalties. The backup OT and starting RT got hurt too in the game. The depth along the OL is a huge problem. Sucks.

I like Edwards at one DE spot but 2 games in, and it might be time to start a sophomore or Freshman over the senior Hicks. He hasn't looked good at all so far.

Fowler would have been nice. :bored:
  19. reel_gator

reel_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    And this you have gathered after Nevada and Pitt? You need to watch more football and learn....ESPN has brainwashed you. The kid is a very good prospect and will be a good one...but he still has to a lot to learn...natural abilities take you onl;y so far...but in the all cupcake conference he will shine...lets see what happens when he comes to to the Swamp and has # 2, 6 & 7 in his face and his OL cannot push the DL 5 yds off the line forcing him into a lotta third and longs. PiszPoorPitt defense ran like they had cement shoes...come on!
  20. gulfgator

gulfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +86
    GatorDad....GatorAvatar?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.