Saban to Texas?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by rmonteag, Nov 5, 2013.

1. rmonteag

rmonteag Member

Ratings Received:
    +48
  2. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +433
    Given Saban's age, he's staying put. No reason to leave at the top. If pressure is bad now, recruiting in Texas would be suicide. You have no less than 3 other schools to compete with in addition to the Oklahoma schools and then other states around Texas. In Alabama, he gets dibs on in-state talent bred for Bama football and then he enjoys recruiting other states without much effort. Keep in mind he recruited the best running back ever and he's 3rd string.
  3. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,202
    Saban isn't going anywhere at his age to have to start over. Saban has a good agent that's keeping the story alive in the media to use as leverage so Bama will increase his pay to 8 million. Yes, his AD has said he's worth every penney of what he's paid on 60 minutes for the percentage of contributions the school brings in.

Just watch how much the school will increase his pay at the end of the season. Don't forget the agent makes a lot of money for himself with the amount of increase he gets for his client.
  4. tilly

tilly Well-Known Member

Wilmington, NC (Jax Native...raised on the Gulf)
    Ratings Received:
    +2,263
    I must say there is clearly smoke here. We can only hope...lol!
  5. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +397
    Not sure I agree with this. He get's dibs on Bama but Texas is the mother lode. Not sure he wouldn't get what he wants there too. He has an ego - already has a dynasty and nothing much to prove at bama anymore. He left college for pros and sullied his rep.

He's not from Alabama. I wouldn't want to live there. It would be pretty much the last place in the world I'd want to live. Austin Texas, now that wouldn't be so bad...
  6. GatorEst1992

GatorEst1992 Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    I wouldnt call him a running back he was just so big and fast that no normal highschool kid could tackle him he might not ever be bamas starting RB he has no lateral movement, might be biased bit KT will have a more successful college career than him
  7. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +308
    Well, Texas would be 1 of only 2 schools (Ohio State) that would actually pay more than Alabama for a coach.
  8. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Does it seem to you like Saban is struggling to bring talent to Tuscaloosa?
  9. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I don't know why he would leave Alabama to go to Texas, unless the $$'s were so huge he couldn't say no, but I would suspect Bama would match. Unless he's looking for a new challenge, but again, what a legacy he can establish in Alabama if he stays and wins a few more NC's.
    I don't see it.
  10. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,058
    I don't see it either. He's king of college football right now. Why start over?
  11. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,172
    If he went to Texas, he could no longer torment us, so he'd probably mellow, spend more time with his friends at Thanksgiving, get beaten by Oklahoma every year, and leave Kirby Smart in charge at Alabama to continue tormenting us for the next 20 or 30 years.
  12. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    If it did happen this would likely weaken two program with one shot. Tamu and Bama.
  13. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +178
    1. Money.
    2. Because he can. What other coach has won a national championship at 3 different schools.
  14. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +584
    I live in Alabama. I left Gainesville to live here (again). I bet you have no idea about Gulf Coast living in Fairhope, AL. That is ok. The fewer who know, the fewer to come ruin it. And Austin is overcrowded now.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243
    I heard this discussed Tuesday evening on CBS Sports Radio. Apparently there was a rumor within the media that the agent (I believe his last name was Sexton but can't remember his first name) for Saban had been exchanging emails with some of Texas boosters (I think) discussing this very thing. Since U. of Texas is a state school, some media people have filed under the freedom of information act requests to see those emails. And some have been made available. Andy from what I understand Sexton has had some discussion with those involved with Texas in some manner. If all of this is true I would think we will hear a lot about this in the next few days.
  16. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +397
    No - not saying that. Another poster said it better, I was just trying to say he might want another challenge - I don't like him and framed it as vanity.

Texas would just be another challenge. I was also speculating that he might want to get out of Alabama. I've been there and I wanted to get out immediately.
  17. Spurffelbow833

Ratings Received:
    +1,172
    Can you imagine the reaction at Alabama if Saban leaves for another school? NOBODY has ever left Bama for another coaching job when they were this successful. Bryant and Stallings retired.

It's high time for them to see how it feels for some hired gun to come along and take them for a ride and leave them in ruins to spend more time with his family.
  18. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +397
    I lived on the Gulf Coast. Been to Gulf Shores and enjoyed it many times but liked the Florida side better (Destin).

Not trying to offend - I have some idea of what it's like in Fairhope but just sayin it's not for me. Actually like college towns like Gainesville and Tuscaloosa - I lived in the panhandle when the Gators regularly beat bama - I shudder to think of what you have to endure in Fairhope with those fans. Peace....
  19. Spurffelbow833

Ratings Received:
    +1,172
    I cannot imagine that Saban enjoys mingling with that fan base, but it wouldn't be any better at Texas. Just trading bubbas in overalls and John Deere hats for bubbas in off-the-rack suits and cowboy hats.
  20. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,058
    1. He's loaded already. And Bama would likely not be too far under Texas' bid.
    2. Maybe. Doubt it.