Russia snaps up Kerry's proposal for Syria to turn over arms

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Row6, Sep 9, 2013.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,750
    rep
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,349
    If we want our leader negotiating from "a postition of strength" which you seem to tacitly imply as a population in complete thrall of its government, then perhaps we should institute a dictatorship (like say, Putin or Assad's respective countries). Guess what ... autocratic stongmen will always view democratically elected leaders as "weak" and "ineffectual." But I tend to think that people not fearing their leader/gov't is a good thing, and not weakness.
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,750
    in other words, Putin requires that all support for the opposition must stop and Assad regain his rightful throne atop the Syrian masses

the conditions and specifications will never end. 0 is stupid to have waited to ask and even dumber to try and engage in a war of wits with Putin.
  4. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,088
    We have no real group of friends in Syria. They will scream for our help when it benefits them and turn their back on us at the drop of a hat later on. If they hate factions of their own religion then it is not hard to figure out how they really feel about us.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +699
    At times like this I always think of Ezra Pound's Sestina: Altaforte. I don't know why. Excerpts:

I

Damn it all! all this our South stinks peace.
    You whoreson dog, Papiols, come! Let's to music!
    I have no life save when the swords clash.
    But ah! when I see the standards gold, vair, purple, opposing
    And the broad fields beneath them turn crimson,
    Then howl I my heart nigh mad with rejoicing.

V

The man who fears war and squats opposing
    My words for stour, hath no blood of crimson
    But is fit only to rot in womanish peace
    Far from where worth's won and the swords clash
    For the death of such sluts I go rejoicing;
    Yea, I fill all the air with my music.

VII

And let the music of the swords make them crimson!
    Hell grant soon we hear again the swords clash!
    Hell blot black for always the thought "Peace!"
  6. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +502
    Yes, I know I do. That's why I get pissed off when Obama opens his mouth and winds up looking like an assclown. I don't hate the man, but he needs to quit puffing out his chest trying to bluff these people. His hand got called and all he had was a pair of 2s.

THAT is what aggravates me regarding his foreign policy. NEVER paint yourself into a corner.
  7. chompalot

chompalot Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +306
    I didn't realize that is was acceptable for a military man (I'm assuming you are one by your avitar) to call his commander in chief an assclown.
  8. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +563
    Respect for a "commander in chief" is still something EARNED. Also something Hussein has yet to do particularly in the eyes of the military.

And never will.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,279
    It's not when he's on the job or in uniform...but he's absolutely entitled to that opinion when he's not.

Especially when he's right.
  10. g8rjd

g8rjd Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    Well, when you are in the military, respect for the commander in chief is earned by taking of office and you taking a rank. Personal respect, which is what I think you are referring to, is one thing, but professional respect, which is what I think chomp is referring to which applies when on the job and/or in uniform (as stated in the above post), is the result of the chain of command.
  11. chompalot

Ratings Received:
    +306
    I beg to differ. First of all his avatar identifies that he is in the military, so you could say he is representing pretty good.

MILITARY BOARD RECOMMENDS DISMISSAL FOR MARINE WHO POSTED ANTI-OBAMA COMMENTS ON FACEBOOK

I don't want him to get in any trouble for what he's posting. I just hope he watches himself when it comes to his commander in chief.
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,750
    putin is tying 0 up in knots and laughing at him while Assad continues his slaughter. You can't negotiate with a mad man that uses chemical weapons on his own people. 0 is stupid to even consider it and a fool to play Putin's game. Iran is getting lots of laughs off this while their centrifuges continue to spin with Russian help. Russia hates SA because they control the price of oil so Russia sides with their enemy Iran, Syria, Hezbollah.. Without SA, Russia would set the price for oil and Putin would be much richer than he already is.

wake up people, 0 is being played for a fool here.
  13. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,557
    And the Russians premise any assistance in reigning Assad's chemical weapons in, on our agreement to Assad's continuing tyrannical reign.
  14. chompalot

Ratings Received:
    +306
    It sounds like their starting point for negotiations. But they better make those negotiations go rather quickly because I don't think that the USA is in the mood for any stalling tactics by Russia or Syria. It is my hope that these negotiations will lead to others that will allow the killing to dissipate.
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,750
    naive. nothing is going to move quickly. Putin will keep dangling the carrot while Assad and hezbollah and revoljtionary guard eliminates the opposition and 0 keeps following the carrot like a good donkey should. meanwhile the centrfuges continue to spin and opposition in Iran realizes they have no extetnal support
  16. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +502
    My participation on this board is my opinion, not that of a LTC using government commo. I would never publicly criticize the CIC unless I retired or resigned first.

But since we are posting relatively anonymously on here, there is no issue
    Social media outlets such as Facebook where service members are posting under their own name is a no no. The Marine who got in trouble was asked first to take it down and refused MULTIPLE requests. He should have been court martialed and discharged.
  17. AndyGator

AndyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +134
    If not - which I suspect - the best outcome would be that we blundered into some sort of a temporary foreign policy, instead of having none.

foreign policy by accident.
  18. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    The basis to act is the same as any civilized country faced with inhumane and outlawed mayhem by a dictator on his own - or any other - people. Think the ship full of Jews sent back to Europe during WWII and consider our responsibility. It is no greater than any other countries, but our action should be taken hopefully in consort with others, but by ourselves if we are the only ones to stand up.

The "red line" was drawn by international treaty almost 100 years ago and has held up pretty well. Our Congress has reiterated it's own versions of it over the last decade.

The idea is neither "murky" nor the moral authority assumed. It is codified in international treaty of long standing and in virtual universal agreement on civilized behavior.

It is in our "national interest" that these sorts of weapons do not become accepted.

Since our Congress and President are elected, their actions are democratic.
  19. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +311
  20. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    No matter the seriousness of the situation you can count on the haters to make the issue about their obsessive need to criticize and wish the President ill, even when their own country and interests are at stake. Amazingly they miss that this goes beyond the next campaign and scoring political points, but that's as high as they see, now taking up for Assad and Putin against their own President. As I noted another time, they'd quote Hitler and Stalin if they could get their remains to criticize Obama.

This issue isn't about Obama.