Russia snaps up Kerry's proposal for Syria to turn over arms

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Row6, Sep 9, 2013.

1. chompalot

chompalot Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +173 / 58 / -32
    Answer to your first question: No always. For instance, when the decision for a military action is made the Ambassador would likely be on board. The answer to your second question: She said that our military action would be limited.

BTW, rick, weren't you on the Cheney/Bush bandwagon to invade Iraq?
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,846 / 66 / -30
    No. Afghanistan yes, but not with boots on the ground. That was a huge mistake, and so was the nation building in either country. Nation building is not what our military should ever be used for. Nor should we ever have to pay for nation building after going to war. Besides, nation building is so WWII... and the Muslims will never like us afterwards... even if we rebuild their stinking nation.
  3. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392 / 13 / -19
    Don't let Halliburton hear you say that.
  4. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +3,846 / 66 / -30
    They're mercs, not military. They're part of the old school GOP that thinks bilking money (nation building) after a costly war is a good way to spend/waste the taxpayers' money.
  5. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +392 / 13 / -19
    Yes, they're mercs, which means the military takes care of them. It started out as Brown & Root, Texas benefactors of Lyndon Johnson, who gave them, Bell Helicopter of Texas and others the Vietnam War to make piles of money. As Halliburton they had Dick Cheney to look after them.

LBJ, Dick Cheney... I think I'm going to be sick.
  6. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +383 / 105 / -38
    Just a few scant years ago, Dems were called traitors for espousing this viewpoint.

Lesson for pubs: it may take awhile, but Dems are usually proven right by time.
  7. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,642 / 63 / -9
    Good lord fred will you EVER stop talking about the past? You bring up the Bush years more than ANYONE on this board. It's rather pathetic, actually.

"But Bush....."
    "Dems did so and so"
    "When Bush was in office"
    "You didnt say that about Bush"

It's like you have Bush tourettes syndrome. Get over it already.
  8. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Historical perspective is always a valuable tool in understanding the present. What's the beef, except that the comparison may bring up memories some would rather forget?
  9. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +147 / 0 / -0
    looks like Obama taking the stand of military action is having the effect of getting Russia to support removing chem weapons from Syria.

Obama taking same sort of gutsy action as POTUS that JFK did to shatter the Cuban missile crisis.
  10. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,642 / 63 / -9
    The beef isn't with one single comment. This guy probably thinks about Bush more than his own wife does. It's not healthy to continue to obsess over one man for years and years.
  11. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    France, which has been our staunchest ally in this incident since the UK Parliament's "no mas":

"France to push Russian proposal on Syrian chemical weapons at U.N. Security Council

BERLIN — An unexpected Russian proposal for Syria to avert a U.S. military strike by transferring control of its chemical weapons appeared to be gaining traction on Tuesday, as France said it would draft a U.N. Security Council resolution to put the plan into effect, and China and Iran voiced some support.

French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius told reporters in Paris that by bringing the proposal to the security council, the world would be able to judge the intentions of Russia and China, which until now have blocked efforts to sanction Syria for any actions during its two-and-a-half-year-long civil war..."​

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...9ff-11e3-a628-7e6dde8f889d_story.html?hpid=z1

Probably goes nowhere but if so hopefully we don't chase it too long, as it is just as likely intended as a time waster by the Russians.
  12. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    OK, if that's the way you see it.
  13. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +271 / 9 / -1
    Except Obama looks the fool and Putin completely out maneuvered him.

Remember Obama "knows Assad did it" after a few weeks and after a year still saying duh about Benghazi, etc.

Theses are also the chem weapons that Syrian military has under its control.
  14. helix139

helix139 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,008 / 32 / -4
    Speaking of Iraq, kind of makes you wonder where Syria got all these chemical weapons, doesn't it? :whistle:
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,372 / 38 / -10
    Sure is a good thing that Putin and Assad are such good and honorable men that they can be taken at their word. Meanwhile, they can keep funding and arming the Hezbollah mercenaries and the internal security force and give them the extra gas to use as they see fit.

Assad, Iran, and Putin are all laughing their arses off watching the lap dog 0 scramble to get the crumbs they drop on the floor.
  16. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 141 / -85
    And Obama can do nothing but sit there and look like an absolute fool over all of this.
  17. MichaelJoeWilliamson

MichaelJoeWilliamson Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +424 / 0 / -0
    This is the best possible solution to a bad set of circumstances.

That said, I doubt it came cheaply. One wonders what Obama had to give up to get Putin to agree with it?
  18. g8rjd

g8rjd Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +368 / 1 / -0
    I have avoided posting on this topic for quite some time, although I have discussed it with some folks who I sometimes and even regularly disagree with, but who's opinions I respect a lot, via PM. However, I guess I'm about to put myself to the firing squad by saying something now.

The use of chemical weapons is morally obscene and on par with the use of nuclear weapons and genocide in its depravity. It should be beyond any toleration. And for a government to use it on its own people, particularly in a desperate effort to cling to power, is beyond any level of outrageous. I would hope we can all agree with that.

The next question is, even though it is hardly something we want to do, should military action be on the table in such a circumstance? After a lot of contemplation and questioning, I am left to conclude that the answer is yes. I think history has shown this for two reasons. First, that level of moral depravity requires intervention, punishment, and nuetering those who are so morally depraved that they would resort to such a weapon. Second, if they are willing to do so now, what makes us think that our oceans are going to protect us when we become the target? To me, little if anything. History has shown that our oceans make us rarely the first target, but hardly save us from being an ultimate target.

Today's development, however, is an incredibly positive one. I don't want us to engage militarily in Syria. I don't think many people do, including the administration. But it is not lost on me that for this development to happen there needs to be a carrot and a stick. Our threat of military intervention is the stick and that Russia, who has historicaly been closer than us to Syria, Iran, Iraq and a number of other Middle Eastern states, is a very credible carrot.

That being said, I don't know if this was a mistake (as some have suggested) or a plan by the administration (possibly even with Russia's preexisting agreement for some time), but, if it works, I don't care. Assad has said he will give up his chemical weapons to Russia and, if that happens and can be confirmed, I'm more than happy for that resolution. But our continued threat of military action needs to remain on the table in order to make that happen.

I hope that this really can be resolved diplomatically, with us playing bad cop and Russia playing good cop. But, one way or another, Assad having access to chemical weapons is not acceptable.
  19. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,143 / 34 / -23
    So who else has chemical weapons, and will the UN make them give them up ?

Or will we ?

If Kerry's gaff was a planned one, Barry Oh! is finally learning how to play checkers.

If not - which I suspect - the best outcome would be that we blundered into some sort of a temporary foreign policy, instead of having none.
  20. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +3,846 / 66 / -30
    Lol... so true.