Running threat: Driskel vs. Murphy

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by SailinGator, Sep 22, 2013.

1. SailinGator

SailinGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    One of the things that struck me yesterday was how comfortable Murphy seemed to be in using his legs to make a play. Considering that this was one of Driskel's best assets, why have we not seen Jeff take off and run the way Tyler did? For a while I've wondered if the coaches had told Jeff to sit in the pocket and develop as a pocket passer; to not use his legs unless it was a designed play. But watching Murphy run made me wonder if that was true. What the heck happened to Jeff's ability to run? And is Jeff more prone to interceptions because he is a great runner and never really developed pocket awareness in high school?

I know this is a moot point now that Driskel is out for the season, but did anyone else see this?
  2. SeaCay

SeaCay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +290
    Yes.

Pleasantly surprised by Murphy's presence on the field. He did make a couple of bad decisions and a miscue or two, but for his first real game action, he did a great job.
  3. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    I think the early answer was that Pease and Champ may have been trying to mold Jeff into a pocket passer -- and that may still be true. But after yesterdays game, I'm sort of convinced that Jeff had been playing on a bum knee. I went back and watched the Miami game (well, at least most of it) to confirm my suspicion, and from what I saw, he looked almost reluctant to put major pressure on his legs.

Either way, I think when Murphy came in it was pretty easy to see that the difference between Jeff last year and this year was his mobility.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,998
    Don't read too much into it. Driskel has great wheels, but he is not a scrambler. He was recruited for the spread triple option because he was dynamite at the runs required in that system: iso, zone read, sprint option, etc. He was never very adept at moving laterally in the pocket to buy himself time nor was he very shifty when he did decide to run. Murphy seems much better on those latter to counts, which are more important given what we run. He can also do some of the spread option stuff we incorporated for Driskel.
  5. GatorEst1992

GatorEst1992 Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Murphy seems more elusive and quicker than driskel and seems to have better pocket awareness than driskel and gets out of the pocket when it collapses
  6. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +561
    Murphy just seems to decide what he is going to do more quickly, whether it is to pass or take off running, he gets to it sooner.
  7. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +921
    Murphy is a much better scrambler than JD.
  8. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,334
    Personally, JD looks like a perfect option QB, a natural runner. Potentially a spread option but I think that is TBD. Murphy looks like a scrambler and not as natural of a runner. JMHO
  9. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Murphy scrambles well and has a great feel for where the pressure is coming from. He also keeps his eyes downfield watching the routes develop....while he scrambles. That skill will be a huge asset when we get into the heart of our SEC schedule!
  10. g8rboy

g8rboy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +403
    Ironically, it seems they may have been protecting Jeff so he wouldn't get hurt. So we lose to Miami, where some qb runs may have helped and he gets hurt anyway trying to throw from the pocket. Hmmm.
  11. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    I think the big question is do we let Murphy run now or do we tell him play safe because we dont have a back up
  12. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    I liked his slides once he was sure he was going to get hit. He also ran the read option very well. No one knew who was going to get the ball until the last possible moment.
  13. g8rboy

g8rboy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +403
    Let him run.
  14. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +784
    They both have their strengths when running. Driskel is like Tim; not fast, but hard to bring down once he gets a full head of steam. Murphy is more shifty, able to change directions at will and keep his momentum. Muschamp and Pease didn't figure that into the equation when they put a one-dimensional qb out there. Hindsight says that they were better off not putting Driskel out there because he couldn't run anymore. Our oline is not capable of pass protecting.
  15. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +784
    We have no choice. This oline is the worst oline in the Top 25. They can't pass protect and run block. That requires a QB capable of doing 2 things at the same time. Murphy has to run or he's dead meat.
  16. GatorByte

GatorByte Member

Ratings Received:
    +88
    I thought your opinion was that we didn't have a backup when Driskel was the starter... now this?
  17. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,811
    Murph doesn't appear to be as fast as JD and he's certainly not the load to bring down, but he's a more natural runner - better vision, better feet, good acceleration and so far he has run smart, taken what's there, and gotten down to avoid big hits.

To AZ's point, I think we should let him run as long as keeps playing smart. QBs get hurt more often in the pocket anyway.
  18. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,322
    Has to scramble he looked very smart with his slide
  19. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    I tend to agree with you but we will see what the staff decides. Hopefully the Line will play better now that everybody will be back besides Green
  20. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    I liked it and I hope they dont coach it out of him. I am all for half field read it there is nothing there run. We dont need a QB to go through all there progressions especially with this Oline.