Running Game

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by slayerxing, Oct 14, 2013.

1. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +764
    UF is easily last in YPC in the SEC this year, averaging 3.9 Yards per rush. Vanderbilt is second to last at 4.3 YPC.

I know that a lot of people are upset about how UF lost to LSU this weekend, more so than they are mad about losing in general.

But the fact is, and Muschamp has said this since day one, that you can't win in football without being able to run, and stop the run. UF has done OK this year stopping the run. Yeah, LSU had 175 yards rushing, but they have a top 10 offense, and you had to figure they were going to move the ball some. They only ended up averaging about 4.5 a carry, which is better than what they've done most of the season. UF's defense's have been consistently some of the best in the country, and I don't think that's going to change because Muschamp was a great defensive coach when he took the job and he is obviously one of the best in all CFB.

The issue is offense. And I think that Muschamp is turning the corner, but in his first 2 seasons on campus, he did NOT recruit the offensive side of the ball well, and we all know it. Some people have brushed that off, but we are seeing the results on the field now. Muschamp missed at RB in 2011 and 2012, missed at WR in 2011 and 2012, and missed at OL in 2011 and 2012. Ironically, he did well at TE, from a recruiting ranking perspective, but neither has contributed.

The 2013 class is already contributing at the skill positions, and I think they will contribute more as the season progresses. Right now, you have Meyer leftovers that are driving this team. Now, Muschamp and his staff tried to correct the mistakes with Juco's, bringing in reinforcements on the line, but in general, they haven't done enough to put together an SEC caliber Oline. Hunter Joyer (now that Driskel is injured) is probably the biggest offensive contributor from the 2011 and 2012 classes. Matt Jones has done OK, but don't we all wish we had Mike Davis right now?

So now the anger and the "muschamp is not the guy" stuff starts happening. And while, I admit, I have never been sold on the man, I think as a fanbase, we essentially have to toss out the first two offensive recruiting classes, and chalk it up to inexperience. The 2013 class was clearly better, he won his battle for his WR, and his RB's, and he had a ton of OL recruited (5, plus 2 transfers). I think at this point, we need to give him 2014 and 2015 to put an offense together.

I know people aren't happy about that, but this is what happens when you hire an inexperienced coach. We could cut loose after next year if he doesn't turn the corner I guess, but I think that would hurt the program. He is clearly a defensive mastermind and I think you just have to give him time to get the offense together. Because if the offense comes together, UF will be truly scary.

Just my 2 cents. I think we just need to sit back and just enjoy what football season we have left, and hope the gators overachieve down the stretch, but I doubt anyone is going to be happy with the results at the end of the season. Let's just hope the 2014 offensive recruiting class gives us more hope.
  2. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,001
    Barring a complete collapse, it's probably safe to assume Muschamp returns for year 4. The staff only brought in 1 JUCO, so they did not try to "correct the mistakes w/ JUCO's". There are 2 JUCO's on the DL (and they are both very good). Brown came in late (fall) and didn't really have a chance to learn the system and/or get in shape (I'd call him a bust, in fact, as a JUCO should be ready to step right in. It's too bad he can't redshirt).

IMO, the first thing that should be done is to bring in a new OL coach. Facts are facts, regardless of talent level: the OL has not produced and someone is at fault for that. Next year's OL should be pretty good (at least based off returning starters & players w/ a significant amount of playing experience). Maybe a new OL coach can make this unit better?

Other than that, the only other option is a new OC. But it's probably best to retain Pease for continuity.
  3. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +764
    Forgive me, he brought in 2 TRANSFERS, not jucos. Trenton Brown was the only Juco recruited on the Ol last year.
  4. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,001
    ^^^ Just pointing that out. Transfers w/ starting experience on D1/BCS teams is a big difference than a JUCO who played in front of 38 people/fans (not including the players and coaches) and against significantly less talented competition. Not breaking your balls, but it's a big difference. Additionally, both Moore and Garcia have been in the program for a full year.
  5. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +764
    I hear you. My point still stands though. The offensive recruiting in 2011 and 2012 was really bad, and we're reaping what we sowed now. Especially since the player evaluation, development, and subsequent transfers from the 2009 and 2010 classes left UF particularly barren of offensive talent.

I think that is the biggest thing people are missing here. This is the SEC, which has some of the best teams and coaches in the country.

UF has a guy learning on the job, who, frankly, failed to recruit offense effectively in 2011 and 2012 when UF REALLY REALLY needed some good offensive classes. 2013, at least on paper right now, looks like the offensive class that turned the corner for Muschamp, and looking at Cook, Lane, and Grier being committed for 2014 gives me hope.

We just have to struggle through the rest of this season now. The running game, with the current offensive players, just isn't going to cut it against the better SEC teams. We just have to hope it's enough against Missouri this week, and then pray for minor miracles against Georgia and South Carolina.
  6. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    I think Muschamp has done very well considering the "situation" that Meyer left behind. We have recruited very well defensively and pretty well offensively, although some of the 4 and 5 stars on offense have not lived up to their potential....yet! I'd love to have an O-line like the ones Meyer had with the Pouncey brothers and a few other road graders we had on that team. Unfortunately, injuries or lack of talent/coaching have prevented this. The coaching staff is simply trying to run the offense with the talent and skill sets they have. You are not going to break many 30+ yard runs unless the back can get into the secondary untouched. Those type of running plays are few and far between for the Gators. Maybe things will get better as the season wears on, but the level of competition is going up. I will be happy with some 13-6 wins as long as we are the winners!
  7. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +764
    We've seen enough games now to know that the running game isn't going to get too much better this year. Maybe we'll get a little up-tick as Taylor gets more carries, because he looked good against LSU, but the OL isn't changing this year. Just have to hope the recruits in the Class of 2013, combined with what UF has coming back can put together a more consistent unit.
  8. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    I get that we missed in recruiting but are our current players that bad? Should we be ranking dead last in most of these categories?

No matter how low the talent level we should be better at running routes, sticking to blocking assignments, avoiding numerous penalties, etc. Do we even play like a well coached team?

It's bad recruiting mixed with bad coaching, imo.
  9. slayerxing

Ratings Received:
    +764
    That's unclear IMO. The running backs and the WR's seemed to be playing pretty well yesterday. Same with the back up QB. The biggest issue on offense yesterday was the offensive line just having it's worst game of the season. It's not like they were lined up wrong all game or anything, and it's not like every single guy was getting beat on every play, but fairly consistently, at least one guy would get beat, and that would destroy the play. How many times did UF have guys wide open in the secondary on Saturday? At least 5 or 6 times.

The primary reason UF wasn't more successful was because of people not doing their jobs on the Oline.