Running Back Situation

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gatorchamps0607, Aug 31, 2013.

1. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +590
    Agree, Mack is very average.
  2. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Looked just like Mike Gillislee to me. And everybody loved Mike (including me).
  3. col_kurtz

col_kurtz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    I haven't read all the posts in this thread but I like the running back "situation" if that's what you want to call it?
  4. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,288
    Gillie was able to make people miss a little more and had a better burst
  5. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    I agree, but I think Mack has more power. Mike is better, but I don't think Mack is plain average. I feel very comfortable with him sharing snaps with Matt Jones
  6. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,288
    I thought Gillie was above average but not extraordinary. Mack is really average he wont get drafted he wont make a practice squad. How many teams in the SEC would he start on?
  7. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,265
    Our RB situation is: we have a lot of depth and healthy options to choose from back there.

Mack Brown is an able backup and is good for pounding the line of scrimmage and getting tough yards between the tackles. He had a good game yesterday and should be getting a bit more appreciation for his efforts. Our team's mantra has been "man up" and he definitely did.

And behind him were two talented guys in Herndon and Taylor.

when Jones gets back, our team will be stacked
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Norcaligator

Norcaligator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +202
    Raz: Not to threadjack, but who is that receiver that comes flying in on several of those plays in the Cook video? Is that Phillips?
  9. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    Feed Mack Brown first (he is hungry and wants to eat and has mo right now), when he rests, feed Herndon/Jones/Showers.
  10. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    I thought Mack looked pretty good running the ball yesterday. Toledo was playing the run and MB had almost 100 yards at the half. He did miss a crucial block, and wasn't exactly explosive but I'm very comfortable with him spelling Matt throughout the season.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,716
    Very well put.
  12. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    Considering that the defense knew the play we were going to run and stacked the defense every play, i think Brown had a remarkable game.
  13. dirons22

dirons22 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    College Football is amazing from a fans aspect also from that of a Coach or parent in which you are even closer to the gameday events. My Name is David Irons Sr. I was going to write on this post in and effort to defend or speak up for Mack Brown #33. Instead what I am going to do is tell you guys a little story. Almost all the men in the Irons family have had played College Football 70% of us have spent time in the NFL, HS School football is tuff, but we all know a kid that is a star in HS may never play a down in college just as a College Star will find the road to the NFL hard to navigate. My son was a star runningback for Auburn 2005-2006 only after a last resort transfer from South Carolina did he find succsess in college sport in his first game at Auburn vs Georgia Tech he had 1 carry for 6 yards the Next vs Miss State I just knew he would make me proud and run for 100+ didn't happen 28 yards on 11 carries and he fumbled at the goaline(disappointed). Well the next 2 games were better agaisnt week teams WKU and Ball State but other backs looked good also. A back named Brad Lester started to emerge, My son got a chance to play his old school South Carolina he ran for 30 yards 2 1 yards Tds on 12 carries(not the revenge I wanted ). The Auburn Coaches had no choice but to start the young Brad Lester(who the public wanted to see)the next game was Arkansas.I have always said a team plays different in the 4th #t being blown and beatin than in the first when score is 0-0.My advice to my son was well this is a battle you have to fight on your own you have to start to believe that you are a true D-1 athlete. So as sat on sideline at Arky and Auburn losining 10-0 the starter(Lester) got hurt after only 5 carries during those moments on the sideline the lights clicked on for my son and the legend of Kenny Irons #23 Auburn star was born that Arky game he rushed 33 times for 183 yards, the very next week he rushed for 218 vs LSU and finished the season as the SEC leading rusher and the SECOND player of the year. With each carry he gained confidence in himself, things slowed down the people believed in him and Auburn won games.All it took was for him to have a chance more important his head coach Tommy Tubberville knew he was that guy and he fed him the Ball. Now I don't know if Mack Brown will lead the SEC in rushing but I do know he is aoff to a better start than Kenny Irons had. I saw a kid that is ready to explode in the SEC. Support him give him a chance God Bless Good luck Gators.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    Thanks for sharing that with us Mr. Irons, it was a good read and welcome.
  15. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    +1
  16. dirons22

dirons22 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I have always loved the Gators. I am a big Emmitt Smith fan. My connection to Gators now is Coach Muschamp a (dear friend ) Coach Travaris Robinson(I trained him) and Coach Joker Phillips( coached my younger brother at Nortre Dame. And Kenny at South Carolina. Thank You and Saturday was my first every visit to the Swamp I loved my experiance back again vs Tenn. Thank you!
  17. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,042
    Thanks for sharing. A little perspective is always a good thing. Mack gave us everything he had. I do appreciate his contribution, just don't think he's the best back in the stable. I definitely could be wrong, though. Wouldn't be the first time, and won't be the last! :joecool:

Welcome to gatorcountry...
    • Like Like x 1
  18. aldo_raine

aldo_raine Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Great post, thanks for sharing, remember your son well he was a hell of a back! Lets hope the light continues to shine for MBJ...
  19. Tu_Gator

Tu_Gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +33
    Great post thanks for sharing. I remember watching your son play, great player. Fans sometimes forget the sacrifice these players make and struggles they face.
  20. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,265
    There's no complaining about Mack's stats from Saturday: he carried the ball well and gave us a solid rushing threat. If he's our starter from here on out, we will continue to have a solid production at the position.

But I do feel others are more explosive and/or bring something else to the table. We didn't really see Brown emerge as a pass-catching option out of the backfield and he didn't really get a chance to rip off a long run either. But, in fairness, that also had a lot to do with Toledo stacking the box as well.