~*Rumor*~ Cody Riggs to transfer?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by CitRain12, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    I don't see how this is anything but a big loss. He is one of the most experienced players in the secondary and can both play safety and match up in man coverage. Add in the fact that UF plays a lot of dime and nickel, and is hurting at DB depth, and it makes absolutely no sense.

Also, something is wrong, if a player that has been here with Muschamp 3 years, going on 4, who has played and started a significant amount, hasn't bought in enough to stay for his final season.
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +544
    Hate to see anyone with experience leave, but he's not going to any BCS school to be a "lockdown" corner. If he had that skill set, he would start here.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848
    We will miss Cody if he is transferring, but I think the real star of our secondary next year will be Jabari Gorman. I was very impressed with him this past season, and I think he along with one of Neal/Harris will do a great job. Gorman/Maye and Neal/Harris provide great depth and talent at the safety position. Even then, we would definitely miss Riggs
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,505
    Talent is great and we'll have a ton of it, but you can't replace experience like Riggs has.

On a schedule like ours, we'll play several games where all it takes is one free play letting somebody get behind you, or over running a play and giving up a massive cutback lane, to lose a game.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. gaturguru

gaturguru Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    We will be fine assuming we can bring in Adoree. Riggs was a borderline starter as is and its better to just purge the old and unspectacular players from our system anyways.
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,505
    Not sure I get this.

Adoree will hopefully be a great addition at WR and maybe as a returner. Not currently expected to play on defense.

How does that help us with losing an experienced Safety? Muschamp really needs to be successful this year or he's probably on his way out. Young guys on the back end usually means big plays given up on the back end, which against our schedule means losses. Not a good thing.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,751
    Doesn't make much sense why an experienced player would transfer in his senior year...especially when they were in line to either start or see significant minutes.

Either there's some off the field issue that we don't know about (very possible), or Muschamp has some serious problems in managing our team.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848
    Cody Riggs is a good guy and I doubt he has off-field issues. I also doubt this is Muschamp's fault. We should wait for the news before we start criticizing them
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575
    The crappy part of the timing of all this is it probably won't be made official until after the Spring semester is over since I imagine Riggs will need to complete his classes to be in good academic standing and able to transfer. I guess if he doesn't play in the O&B game that would be a clue, but this could lead to 3 months of speculation
  10. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,436
    I was hoping we could navigate through this thread before we had to start reading " it's Muschamp's fault" posts. Why? Because he continues to recruit the best at their position? He just happens to be extremely successful with dbs. Bringing in young guys like vh3 and tabor and JC jackson and wilson and dawson as well as talented safeties Like neal, harris, maye, and gorman, sometimes causes older players to reevaluate their priorities. Some guys do not want to be playing second fiddle to young in coming players. It's sucks but if that's why he transfers, so he can be the big dog where ever he goes, then he's already lost mentally, and doesn't feel he would compete. I think he would be a great addition but keeping that competitive hunger is what makes champions
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +268
    IMO, this is prob as simple as the fact that Riggs doesn't fit well in our system. If you remember, he got significant snaps as a true freshman bc, at that time, we played with a more conventional nickel. A small cb that matched up well in the slot. Since then we've switched to a nickel that isn't a liability in the run game ala Elam and Poole and have a plethora of those types right now. Riggs is very small to play on the outside (he bulked up to 185ish) and is not a safety. I could def see him get passed by Maye this year. He could transfer to a school like Texas (if they had room) and start at the nickel for a 1 yr NFL tryout.

Don't blame him and not a huge loss IMO. I do think Maye would have split reps with him or passed him entirely this year and if the light turns on for Gorman he also does some things extremely well. I also assume the coaches are thinking either Dawson, N Washington or Q Wilson eventually moves so this puts them at repping with the 3s instead of never.

Riggs will be missed, but no one was singing this sad tune when he was missing tackles on Gurley and no one was going to feel comfortable seeing him square up on Derrick Henry in the open field either.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  12. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,071
    Really good guess, one!
  13. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,104
    This! Some of you are so quick to point a finger at Muschamp its embarrassing! You don't even know the full story yet!
    • Like Like x 2
  14. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    Well, there aren't many multi year starters transferring . . . c'mon.

And as for the number of transfers, I think you simply have to remember that we don't oversign like bama then "place" kids.
  15. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    Where is the "you are out of your mind" icon??

Tabor???????
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,104
    Well not to mention Adoree would play offense.
  17. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,103
    I'd think you'd have to get passed on the field, not in the off-season. Another experienced player bailing.
  18. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,638
    Yeah, I'm in the disappointed camp as well. This makes absolutely no sense at all. Maybe gatorcountry insiders can dig a little and find out what's going on. And post it on the free board! :)
  19. ksagator

ksagator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +98
    First, let's see if he really transfers. Second, if he does, it will be a loss of depth and thus will hurt like any loss of depth--but let's not overstate the significance. If he has one year left to prove himself, he may want to do it in a place where he can start at corner. That wouldn't have anything to do with "buying in". I seem to recall rumors of Riggs transferring after 2012 as well--it may be that he has been unhappy for some time. Let's not make different assumptions this year than we would have last year just because we are upset with Muschamp's performance in 2013.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,104
    Yes but why is he "bailing" as you put it? See that's the issue. Nobody knows for sure but they are still jumping to conclusions. If he's actually transferring, it makes more sense that he's trying to start to prove himself to the NFL then it would that Muschamp has anything to do with it when the staff is completely wrapped up in recruiting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.