Roper's 1st Offer...An FSU QB Commit

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Jaggator, Jan 15, 2014.

1. lwg8tr

lwg8tr Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    I agree, maybe Roper saw film on Grier and saw something to be concerned about like maybe the third coming of Brantley\Driskel and not the second coming of Tebow. This kid is a stud, we need him. I got to hand it coach, he put out that dumpster fire at the end of season and is rebuilding nicely with some solid hires and his closing string in recruiting.
  2. parramoregator

parramoregator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Getting him to flip would be huge. I had the chance to see him play a few times and he is the real thing, and he does it against Dade County type competition. I am not sure there is overall better competition anywhere else in the country (perhaps parts of Texas, I don't follow Texas HS football too close). I find it interesting that he is the #3 rated dual threat QB behind Will Grier, considering the level of competition they play. Perhaps 6'2" vs 5'11" has something to do with it. Who knows, but I'm thrilled to have Grier coming here, and would love to see Harris spurn the noles for us.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,696
    I don't think this has anything to do with Grier honestly. Roper has used multiple quarterbacks the last couple of years at Duke and has started running them more frequently. Both quarterbacks ran a bunch last year and both took a bunch of hits. He obviously wants depth at the position. Grier and Harris athletic quarterbacks who can do what Roper wants at the position, but more importantly it gives us the numbers we desperately need at the position.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  4. subtle_gator

subtle_gator Member

Ratings Received:
    +89
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    Never heard of them, but I like the article... if it's true. It sounds legit.
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,869
    Would be great if true, but I don't see anything on google wrt decommitting.

FWIW, he's listed as a soft verbal to UFS on Scout.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    "UFS." Too funny.
  8. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,869
    Thanks to Cook, they'll be UFS for a long time... whenever they're not reFSU. Or SOW. Or SWAC. :D
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. coach

coach Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    interesting that the author is a managing editor of a Seminole site.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +900
    I see Harris listed at 170lbs. If he's really that weight we can't expect him to ever be a great, durable QB at next level can we?
  11. jerry813

jerry813 Member

Ratings Received:
    +54
    I really hope this guy flips to the Gators. I would go to say Treon is more accurate than Grier. Watch his film and he puts it right on the money on those fade routes even with the dbs in good position. His pocket presence is on another level and that has more to do with his shiftiness. Roper needs to adjust his throwing mechanics up if we do land him though.

I wouldn't necessarily say so. I don't see him getting much early early playing time so I'm sure we wouldn't have to worry about his durability(for now at least) especially after one or two off season of strength and conditioning. By that time hopefully he puts on another 20 pounds
  12. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +4,869
    Die - he's listed at 178 or 180 on most sites, and 180 at the Nike combine a year ago. He should be at least in that range and that's not bad for 5'11". I think it's about the same size Percy came in at. He should be able to put on five to ten pounds of good weight and he'll be fine.

jerry813 - definitely agree on really wanting Harris. Not sure about being more accurate than Grier, but he throws well and he's a player. We need depth at QB. JD hasn't played a whole season yet. One or both of Grier and Harris are almost certain to play.
  13. Diesel350z

Diesel350z Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +588
    New article on Harris and Father.

Written byANDREW SPIVEY, JANUARY 21, 2014, 0 COMMENTS,
    [​IMG]
    The combination of a switch to a spread offense and quarterback depth concerns have the Florida Gators actively seeking another 2014 quarterback to go with early enrollee Will Grier. The Gators are making a big pitch for dual threat quarterback Treon Harris (5-11, 180, Miami, FL Booker T. Washington), a Florida State commitment who visited Gainesville last weekend.

According to his father, Tim Harris Sr., who is a football coach, Treon thoroughly enjoyed the visit to the Florida campus.

“It was great and Treon said it was a great experience overall,” Tim Harris Sr. said. “He said he felt comfortable with the relationship that he and Florida have and they are continuing to build that relationship right now and this weekend was just another step in that direction. We are still just trying to keep the relationship building going with Florida but it’s going in the right direction.”

While in Gainesville for his official visit Harris had the chance to sit down with new offensive coordinator Kurt Roper to talk about his plans for next year on the offensive side of the ball.“Coach Roper sat Treon down and showed him his offensive scheme and how he could use Treon,” Harris said. “It was good and it helped Treon with the football part of Florida and understanding the X’s and O’s from his viewpoint.”

After meeting with Roper the Miami prep star had the chance to sit down with Will Muschamp who explained why Florida was late to offering Harris.

“Coach Muschamp told him that in the other offense his direction was a lot different from the new offense’s direction, which why they offered Treon so late,” Harris said. “Coach Muschamp said that when Coach Roper came in and was evaluating tape Treon’s name popped up on the radar.”

The key for Florida’s chances of flipping Harris from Florida State is to continue building a relationship, not only with Harris but with the entire family. A Tuesday in-home could go a long way in expanding the relationship.

“Coach Muschamp and T-Rob (Travaris Robinson) are coming for an in-home visit on Tuesday night,” Tim Harris Sr. said. “Tuesday is another step in the relationship building because one weekend can’t build the relationship by itself. This is the recruiting process so these things go on and tomorrow will help the relationship continue moving in the right direction.”

The presence of Will Grier won’t be an obstacle. Although Grier is considered one of the top prep quarterback prospects in the country (named national player of the year by some organizations), Tim Harris Sr. says that will not factor in Treon’s decision.

“Will Grier doesn’t affect him at all,” Harris said. “Grier’s situation won’t affect Treon’s decision because you have to make your own decision in this process. Once you get to a school then you have to build that relationship with the other players and bond together to try and win a national championship. Treon won’t be focusing on the depth chart. When you go to a BCS school than you have to expect to be ready to compete for your position and that’s what Treon is all about is competing.”

Treon Harris has been committed to FSU since July and it will be tough to flip him to Florida but the Harris family is leaving the option open.

“Anything happen and we are giving them a fair shot and praying on things,” Harris said. “This weekend was good though and he was glad he made the trip.”

Next up for Harris is a trip to Auburn and Miami and after that Harris and his family will sit down to talk about his decision.

“Signing day is when he will make his final decision,” Harris said. “We are doing checks and balances now with every school so he’s just going through the process of finding out where the best place for him is at.”

Not only will Will Muschamp visit Harris but two other coaches are expected to visit Harris in-home before signing day.

“Jimbo Fisher will visit next week and I’m not sure when Al Golden is coming,” Harris said.
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. AuldG8R

AuldG8R Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    The SOW loses Coker to Bama so it seem likely they would up the pressure on Harris to stay committed.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +334
    This whole situation is eerily familiar. We have a top QB recruit already committed, bring in a new offensive coordinator who's first offer goes to a QB from south Florida that we had previously not been recruiting. I hope it works out better than the last time.
    • Agree Agree x 6
  16. broncogators

broncogators Member

Ratings Received:
    +69
    I'm hearing UF really made a huge push on him. FSU fans weren't worried at first but now they are concerned with the ground we made up.

With that said Muschamp has already used his in home visit and Fisher is visiting him today. He has also said he will not be taking another visit to FSU.
  17. Distant Gator

Distant Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    Sounds like a great kid. He will fit in well with Grier.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. navygator88

navygator88 Member

Ratings Received:
    +141
    As others have said, the QB situation is grim right now. After Driskel there is a big black hole of mediocrity behind him. I figured Grier would get the #2 spot coming out of fall camp, but trying to bring in another quality QB is a good idea. I think Harris would be a good fit for Roper's offense and honestly is probably more ready to start as a freshman than Grier.

And say what you will about Jimbo Fisher, he will have 4 straight first round QBs after this season. Hell, he'll have 3 starting QBs in FBS. I say we pick off more of the QBs he offers
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. parramoregator

parramoregator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +20

Agree with you that bringing in another QB is a very good idea. Driskel has been injury prone and IMO is not a very cerebral QB, thus he often resorts to using his athleticism which leads to injuries. Grier's HS highlight film looks all world, but I have to question his level of competition. At Miami BTW, Treon Harris went up against top level athletes every week. Didn't they play Lorenzo Carter's Norcross HS and beat them pretty handily? Do you think Grier and Davidson Day beat up Norcross? The more I think about it the more I believe that Treon Harris could be one of the most important "gets" of this class for Florida. He may fit Roper's offense like hand in glove.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +309
    Exactly what I was thinking.