1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Roper to have total control of offense.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Diesel350z, Jul 14, 2014.

1. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,280
    I agree. I like how Muschamp has always handled himself to the media. He's very personable, it's no wonder recruits always talk about how good a guy he is. I like how he moved on swiftly from the joker questions to praising Chris leak. I also appreciate he doesn't mind admitting when he's wrong or not as knowledgeable about something, he said Jason Garrett broke it down into layman's terms about the difference between scanning the field from under center versus from the shotgun.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. DMann

DMann Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +805
    Not sure '13 Sugar Bowl loss was a result of opening up the offense or a grossly unprepared and overconfident team.
  3. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,701
    Not to stay off topic, but the AP reported he cancelled the interview.
  4. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,701
    The latter part makes you the winner.
  5. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,294
    Allow me to help you then:
    *Grossly unprepared - No scouting of Louisville/Defense out of position
    *Bad game plan - Poor scoring tempo/Defense out of position
    *Bad coaching - Weak offensive plan/Defense out of position
    *Poor execution - Key interceptions by JD/Defense gave up
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  6. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +415
  7. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,141
    I don't believe this. You can't be as good of a defensive coach as Muschamp is and not understand offense. His problems have been due to bad hires, mediocre talent, untimely injuries, and an offensive philosophy that was too conservative.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  8. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    If he knew offense he would have known it was too conservative three years ago.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  9. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,141
    Well there's a simple-minded statement that completely misses the point.
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    And there's the typical derogatory comment. What's new?
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,701
    Not sure why you would say that. That style has been very successful for many teams. He inherited a team that wasn't setup for it so we should've known there would be some struggles in the beginning; obviously not as bad as it's been. That being said, I believe he did realize it wasn't going to work towards the end of the 12 season which is why the recruits we brought in for 13 were better suited for Roper's style. I think that's why he publicly announced it after last season and again now. Just my opinion though.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    "Every offensive coordinator I have had has full autonomy" He then goes on to state what you said in your post
    • Like Like x 2
  13. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I think the conversation helped him come to the conclusion but I think other parts like the numbers helped as well. One of the things I like about CWM is he doesn't seem to make rash decisions he gathers all the information then make an educated decision. Even if he makes the wrong decision I respect him for at least going through the process and understanding that he doesn't have all the answers

For the longest time I couldn't understand why Muschamp kept saying that going to the shotgun was going to help Jeff because that is what he was recruited to do. I understood that the shotgun would allow him to use his legs more, do more half field read and it would allow the team to dictate tempo better but I still didn't understand the statement.

After watching that interview I did. I think Muschamp is a really good talent evaluator on both side of the football. That being said QB in the most unique position on the field and I dont think he totally understood the evaluation of the metal side of things for that position ( I do think he understand how to find good personalities at the position) . I dont think many do it is a crap shoot for kids coming out of high school. By going to the shotgun it eliminates part of the error.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    We win recruiting battles against Saban as well. I dont really care if Saban wanted Pease or not it seems as though something at least happened between the two between how the media reported it and how Pease answered questions about the situation but it really does matter I didnt like the hire in the first place. If you want to continue this discussion we can do it in another thread.
  15. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,883
    My two cents is that Muschamp has been telling the OC's before Roper that "ok I want ground and pound for ball control and time of possession, only throw the ball when you have to." Now after 3 years in seeing that we aren't little Bama because we never had the OL to be lil' Bama, I think he finally realized that he not only needs to go to the spread but bringing in Roper and letting Roper have complete control of the O makes sense job security wise. So even though I have felt that it's been Muschamps offense for the last 3 years that now hopefully he leaves the offense alone and let Roper run with it. If not, we may have a coaching change come 2015.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,280
    He stated that he felt his players had Lost all confidence in pease ' s offense which was apparent, and that's why he made the change. So far so good, without even playing a game, reports are saying our guys are as confident as they have ever been. So it's working so far. You won't win much on this game without confidence.
  17. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    Incredible that the position of "I'm really excited that our head coach is getting out of the way of our offense" is becoming popular...and yet its actually perfectly rational.

While I agree with the sentiment, it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies overall about our program.
  18. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,701
    Comprehension/Understanding of the situation is probably the most important thing. However, and I won't speak for others, but I'm not shocked by your post.
  19. rpmGator

rpmGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +795
    Yep, our HC sure is one unlucky dude to have diversity he couldn't overcome...

Imo, we have been what Will wanted. Ball control and field position. Roper better be the change as I was tired of losing to UGA the first time around.
  20. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,971
    Not too surprising that people are looking for hope after last season. A new OC with a good track record, and an offense that fits our QB better gives them hope.
    Muschamp has been very consistent in wanting an offense that is balanced, multiple and makes the defense defend the whole field. 2012 is the only year he dictated the "ground and pound". He did it out of necessity due to massive holes in the offensve roster. And it worked.

Moving to 2013, I am not sure how people confuse unprecedented levels of injuries with a coaching dictate of "ground and pound". While our starting QB sets career highs for attempts and yardage before he gets injured. Rational is not a word that describes that thought process.
    Whatever. "Warm and fuzzies" will come if/when the team consistently plays well and wins.
    • Agree Agree x 1