Ronald Reagan's Benghazi

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorBen, May 7, 2014.

1. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,102
    OK, so you admit that the Republicans are acting much different over Benghazi than they would had a Republican been president. You acknowledge that Fox wouldn't be 24/7 on Benghazi if a Republican were president.
    But you're convinced Republicans would not have acted the least bit different had a Democrat been president during 9/11.
    We disagree.
  2. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,464
    No different than (D)s if roles reversed. No different than MSNBC, Nation, Slate, Daily Show (Makes me sad to put them in here as I used to really like the show. But it's become so one-way I can't watch anymore) had the roles been reversed.

Yes, tragedy and loss of life too great. Sadly, only times when nation moves as one.

Not the first. Not the last. But that's why this board is here.

Cheers ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. surfn1080

surfn1080 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +200
    Obama has yet to take any responsibility.... over a year...
  4. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Why did the WH, and President Obama, the most powerful man in the world, send his people out to lie about the cause of the attacks, and then try and make some poor schlub of a film maker the fall guy? Then the guy is arrested on some non related issue to make the situation appear more credible. Amazing. The most transparent administration in American History? LOL. I don't recall Reagan trying to point the finger at a private citizen try and get the heat on him. Obama and Regan aren't cut from the same cloth, and I guess if you were to compare them at least doing so from a negative perspective may be a better way to do so than from a positive direction. That would be harder than trying to get people to believe that Obamacare will allow you to keep your doctor.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,987
    "What difference does it make?" That's their spam in a can answer that just won't fly anymore.
  6. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,987
    The fact that we were told this sort of thing might happen.... and all the other countries of the world had already packed-up their embassies and left that $hit-hole.
  7. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,987
    The fact that we were told this sort of thing might happen.... and all the other countries of the world had already packed-up their embassies and left that $hit-hole. Except Hildabeast wanted us to stay totally unprotected for some strange-a$$ed reason. That will all come to light soon enough... but right now it's just a very plausible theory.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,213
    Which to tie it back to the OP, strangely enough, was almost exactly the same explanation they wound up with for Beirut. Not only had it been made clear to everyone in the chain of command that it was dangerous to have a presence in Beirut to start with, they did things like not even bothering to close compound gates, then stayed in Beirut with continued crappy security to get attacked over and over again even after HUNDREDS of Americans had been killed in attacks on US facilities.

So that can't be the explanation for the difference in treatment between Ronnie's Lebanon incompetence and Benghazi. But feel free to take another stab at it if you want.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,987
    Did Reagan order the American ambassador to the UN (Susan Rice) to lie about the bombings right before a presidential election? Lol... yep... just the same exact thing.
  10. dangolegators

dangolegators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +746
    You're just making my point for me. You classify questioning Bush's response (or lack thereof) to the Bin Laden memo as 'shameful partisan bickering'. You're making rationalizations and excuses for Bush that you do not make for Obama. With Bush, it's always the benefit of the doubt. With Obama, it's immediately jump to the worst possible conclusion. It's just because you are so biased.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,447

that makes no sense.
  12. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,229
    There were some critical differences between the attack in Lebanon and the attack in Benghazi.

One of the two attacks lasted for less than a minute, the other went on for several hours. There was no time in Lebanon to even try to organize a response. We'll never know if a military response could have been attempted or if it would have saved lives in Benghazi.

One of the two administrations initially blamed an internet video for the attack. The other did not.

One of the two administrations had a top official who responded to a question about why the four people were killed with "What does it matter?" and later had a fainting episode to avoid testifying. The other administration did not respond with "What does it matter?" or have fainting episodes.

One administration went to Vegas in the immediate aftermath of the attack. The other did not.

I'm sure there are other differences, but you get the picture.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. vertigo0923

vertigo0923 night owl mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,447
    you didn't read the op.

"In March of 1984, three months after Congress issued its report, militants struck American officials in Beirut again, this time kidnapping the C.I.A.’s station chief, Bill Buckley. Buckley was tortured and, eventually, murdered. Reagan, who was tormented by a tape of Buckley being tortured, blamed himself. Congress held no public hearings, and pointed fingers at the perpetrators, not at political rivals."

first, there was no 'internet'
    how lame is it to ignore warnings and get re-attacked? seriously! and you all go on and on about amb stevens. same thing happened to buckley. except, it was a SECOND attack.
    did anyone else get murdered in libya after the benghazi attack????
    nope.
    you said 'there was no time to organize a response in lebanon.' sure, maybe not the first time, but there shouldn't have been a second time.
    you guys would be all over that, if it'd been obama or any democrat.

you're absolutely right there are other differences!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,585
    The US is threatened every single day. Prior to 9-11, few people knew of Bin Laden and it's extremely speculative to compare the worst terrorist attacks in world history to anything else, really.

I mean, the President gets "this group is pissed at us" memos every day. Bush, Obama, Clinton, etc. Sifting through them isn't easy and triage is also fairly difficult.

I don't blame Obama for what happened. I don't particularly harp on him for Benghazi. I rarely (if ever) post on such threads because I largely think it's partisan theatre. That isn't absolving Obama's handling of it, but I don't think he could have prevented what happened.
    Democrats who ignore the obvious (Obama did everything possible to marginalize the attacks and deflect for political purposes) are just as bad--if not worse--then Republicans who keep harping on the issue.

Had Obama pulled a Reagan and owned up to his mistakes with the case, things would have died down to a degree. The conservative blowhards would still be pitching a fit, but I doubt anyone else would.
  15. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,558
    To protect CIA assets in the area, possibly.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
  16. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +10,307
    there are so many unanswered questions about Benghazi and that is why we need an independent council

of course it is hard to get info when the people responsible are in a hunker down mode -this is not the 1st admin to hunker down but it is the current admin and the American people deserve an answer-we should be able to expect our leaders to be forthright and honest- the American people are a forgiving lot- just be up front and tell us who and why you screwed up and quit hiding it- had the Nixon admin just told the truth and taken its lumps Watergate would have been a mere blip on the radar-instead they chose to lie and obfuscate- the difference today is at least there was 1 person in the Nixon admin with a conscience- it does not appear to be so in the current regime
  17. surfn1080

surfn1080 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +200
    Knew you would say that.

Did you mean Obama campaign speech on October 27th after the heat was borderline boiling? Or after deflecting the true nature of the attacks for weeks?

I can just see the sincere honesty in that man eyes during that time....

By the way, when did everything become okay just as long as you can find someone in the past that did something similar and use it to justify?

According to libs only....

Clinton didn't cheat on his wife either...

Iraq didn't move their weapons when the whole world told them they were coming to inspect...

And we did land on the moon...
  18. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    Hey obob, irony?
  19. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Yes, here we have irony ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. jimgata

jimgata Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,192
    We never learn. The cover up is worse than the original action.
    The original action happens and then forgotten after a short period. The coverup lingers for years.