Road Trip

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by StrangeGator, Apr 28, 2014.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,638
    Driving solo from Chicago to Boston next week to pick up my daughter from school. I flew out there last year and helped pack and store her stuff, but it ended up being more expensive. Got a decent sized SUV and with just two of us we'll be able to get everything crammed into the back.

It's just shy of 1000 miles but has the shortest turn-by-turn Google Map directions I've ever seen. "Turn left on Harlem Ave, enter east bound ramp on I-290, merge on to I-90, continue to Boston. I'll drive through Cleveland, Erie, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany and Springfield, MA, Cleveland being the only one of those cities I've seen. Don't think I'll have time for actual site-seeing, but it should be an interesting trip. Never driven that far by myself. Got about 12 gigs of music on my iPhone, plus Sirius. Will probably pick up some new CDs and download some books on audio.

Any serious road warriors on the forum with advice on how to keep my mind occupied? What do truckers do? (I know what they do at truck stops.) Any thing worth a 10 or 15 minute stop along the way? Don't say Rock and Roll HOF. You couldn't get me out of there in less than five or six hours.

Actually more worried about the ride back. There are worse things than being alone for 15 hours.
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    I have not driven that exact trip but I have driven cross country alone multiple times. Unfortunately, I don't know of much in the places you are going through worth stopping or doing.

On my last trip I drove from DC to Chicago then from Chi through Omaha, Denver and Utah to Las Vegas. The drive west out of Chicago had lots of great places to stop. The other way not so much.

So, having driven on a couple of 30 hour trips all I can really recommend is lots of good music. Possibly, an audio book or maybe trying to learn a new language. I actually did that once while I was driving from Florida to Cali. It didn't go so well though.

So, music and audio books and just make sure to stop often and not rush. Highway hypnosis is real.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,123
    Biggest thing I try to do on long trips is get an early start so I can mainly drive during daylight hours. Easier to stay awake and see where you are going in unfamiliar territory.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,391
    Strange - are you going to make this drive in one day? I'm going to safely assume no. It looks like about 15 hrs of driving and that's right around the critical mass point (beyond it for me at my age). I made a 16 hr (solid driving) drive once back when I was in my lower 2os. Too old for that stuff now. My longest drive nowadays would be 12 hrs and that's pushing it.

As for your question, I think you have the right ideas. CDs, satellite radio (I love sports radio) and books on tape. Nothing is better to pass the time than music, though. Music reduces the stress level involved with driving. It focuses your attention in ways that other media do not. I suggest taking in entire albums too, esp. "concept" kinds of albums that allow you to get a connected listening experience. Good luck and be safe! Enjoy the trip. You're going to have a blast.

Oh - except for those miserable tolls in Ohio. That's an expensive stretch of interstate. What a crock! :mad:
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +857
    I have done a lot of driving in my time and I love it. For me, satellite radio is key along with iPod. I tried audio books years ago but didn't do well with it. Mind kept wondering and I had to keep rewinding.

Been up to Buffalo to Rochester and then Syracuse. Not much to see except some dying industrial towns but it was the dead of winter when I was there.

I also spend time catching up with friends on the cell, hands free of course.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +857

This is great advice. 15 hours seems extreme so break it into 2 days. Also, what better time to reacquaint with Dark Side of the Moon, OK Computer, Tommy, Pet Sounds as well as discover some new stuff? Spin that satellite dial and see what you discover or rediscover.

Consider any all albums that you loved 20 or 30 yrs ago and haven't listened to in forever. Remind yourself why you liked them so much.

I like leaving before sunrise. Something about being well on the way at daybreak, don't know what it is.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,050
    I agree about the needed stops. A good pee break is a welcome thing in most cases. Might help to drink lots of beer along the way to make sure you will need to pee often.

Ok...I'm kidding.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,977
    I usually talk on the phone and surf the internet on my laptop while eating my whopper sandwich. (j/k).

I find music that I know (albums and not individual songs) goes a long ways to keeping my mind occupied.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. FWhite

FWhite Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    I drove from Port Clinton, OH to just north of Panama City FL by myself last summer in one shot. About 920 miles. I swore I would not do that again if I could help it. I would take gatordavisl's advice on making 2 days out of it. My wife said I had a 1000 yard stare when I got home.
  10. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,638
    Thanks for all the advice. Am considering doing it all in one shot. I drove from Panama City to Chicago in one shot with just my kids. It's almost the same distance, but took closer to 16 hours because of that tedious stretch between PC and Montgomery on 231. The plus side of doing it by yourself is that the gas/pee/food breaks are faster and that I don't have to fight with anyone over music. I will definitely make better time without them. The downside is the lack of company but mostly the lack of a co-pilot to hand me stuff, change the music, etc. I guess I'll finally have to get acquainted with Siri.

Trying to minimize the number of motel stays. If I can make it to the outer Boston burbs, I could drive to campus early, pack the car, and get as far as Cleveland, making it just a two motel trip. My wife wants me to get a reservation in Buffalo, but that would turn it into three motels. Looking on the map, Buffalo looks like way too short a trip. I think I could make Boston inside of 14 hours. A good compromise would be Utica, the home of Saranac Brewing. That would guarantee a good nights sleep.

Like the idea of the concept albums. Off the top of my head the only CD/MP3 versions I have are OK Computer, Yoshimi, Sgt. Pepper, Daydream Nation, and Forever Changes (Love). Got a few others on vinyl. Will probably download Quadraphenia, Sandinista and Pet Sounds. Not sure about books. I'll bring the one I'm currently reading, The Warmth of Other Suns, and will read that in my motel room. Going to try to get the author to autograph it. Isabel Wilkerson teaches Narrative Non-fiction in my daughter's department at BU.

One crazy idea I had was to look on the ride board on Craigslist, just to see if I get get someone to ride part way, maybe to Cleveland. Have done that once and it turned out quite well.
  11. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,638
    Heard Dark Side too many times to enjoy it anymore. Open to any suggestions on Sirius. Right now all I listen to are Little Steven and SiriusU. My entire Clash collection is on vinyl and I've only recently acquired a new turntable after going without one for over 20 years. Might be worth buying the boxed set on CD.

Will definitely create some new playlists, first on the agenda is a "Road Song" collection. Kind of cliche, but a good way to start the trip.

Speaking of which, getting out before daylight is a great idea. We did that driving down south this past New Year's Day. Not only did we avoid traffic, we missed several inches of snow that fell between 5:00 am and 9:00. Want nothing to do with weekday rush hour getting out of Chicago.
  12. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +857
    I also listen to Howard Stern while on the road. He is far and away the best interviewer in the business. For example, today he had Pharell on. I don't care for his music but he was incredibly interesting, insightful, creative and intelligent. It was intriguing to hear how he goes about his process and he was refreshingly humble and gracious. Great interview.

I listen to a ton of Outlaw Country. Elizabeth Cook from 10est to 2est is probably my favorite radio personality. Great song selection and incredibly funny.

Deep Tracks is great, especially for Tom Petty ' s Buried Treasure.

Sorry to hear about Dark Side but how about Animals instead? I love that album as much as Dark Side.

New stuff? Cage the Elephant's latest is really good.

Road stuff? The Allman's live at The Beacon collections are excellent. Pick up some Tedeschi Trucks as well.
  13. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +857
    I will mix stuff up with the blues channel and classic jazz, as well.

I have also found that I can impersonate Chris Cornell, Freddie Mercury, Lyle Lovett and Dwight Yoakam but only when I am alone in my car. Weird
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,391
    Would encourage you to take your wife's advice and stop in Buffalo or somewhere along the way. The cost of one night's hotel is much less significant than the p0tential for an accident or other consequences. As for concept albums, check out Brain Salad Surgery (ELP). It's a very "thick" listen, but has a great release when you reach the one hit on the album. It's a great example of delaying expectations; def not for those in need of instant gratification. Be safe!
  15. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +857
    Stay in Rochester or Syracuse and have dinner at Dinosaur Barbecue. Really good barbecue, especially for up North, and a great beer selection. Both locations are quite lively.

When you get to Boston, hit Eastern Standard. It is right down from the BU campus and is a great spot for cocktails and dinner. After that, amble down to Bukowski on Boylston. Another killer spot. Wake up and have your daughter drive as you wear off a slight hangover. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  16. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,638
    Road trip commencing in minutes. Eastern Standard sounds good. As far as my daughter driving, she'll probably be hung over too, plus she's never driven on the freeway and hasn't been behind the wheel since winter break.

I'm outta here. Will check in tonight.
  17. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +857
    One last music rec. Ray Charles' Atlantic Records box set. Can't believe I omitted that one. Enjoy the roadie!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +167
    Sunflower seeds for snacks. The salt prevents you from frequent bathroom breaks, and cracking the seeds in you mouth keeps you busy, need a spit cup and also get the lower sodium package.

if you like Electronic dance music then BPM, channel 51 Is good to listen to when tired.
    drive safe.
  19. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,638
    Just finished dinner in 'Cuse. Think I'm going to call it a night when I get to Utica. My wife's looking for a motel for me there. There's a decent craft brewery there. I'll see if I have the energy for that.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. toon66

toon66 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +857
    Did you go to Dinosaur BBQ?