RIP Dyron Nix

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorLurker, Dec 16, 2013.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
  2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,564
    Wow....I remember him well (and Don Devoe coaching him).
    Can't believe he died so young.
    Very sad.
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    He was a great player for UT.
  4. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +846
    I graduated from Fort Walton Beach High School, the same as Dyron. I was a ninth grader when he was a senior. I used to go to all of those high school games starting his junior year. They had some amazing talent in the area back in the mid 80s. Also on Dyron's Fort Walton team was Marcus Broadnax, a Florida Mr. Basketball and McDonald's AA who ended up going to St. Johns. Sadly N.Y. proved too much for Mr. B. He never really got it going in college. Such a waste.
    Dyron was SEC player of the year one year. I think he shared the honor with Will Purdue.
    I went to one holiday tournament that was held at Choctaw High (Fort Walton's arch rival) when Dyron was a senior and Broadnax a junior. Also in that tournament were the following DI players. Tom Hammonds, Clifford Lett, Cedric Sanders, I think Pat Lawrence and some tiny little freshman point guard from a Mississipi High school named Chris Jackson.

This was the days before AAU tournaments when we now routinely see a lot of DI talent in the same gym at a tournament. It was a treat. Chris Jackson won tournament MVP honors.
  5. gatorgeezer

gatorgeezer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +62
    great story
  6. 1982Gator

1982Gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +54
    Was sitting in the front row of what is now the rowdy reptiles section for a Tenn game. My buddies and I were giving Nix hell the whole game- Pretty boy, jerry curl, etc. At one point he was inbounding the ball right in front of us and we were giving him the chit, just before the ref gave him the ball to inbound he reached around and grabbed an ass cheek and gave it a tug to let us know we could kiss his ass. Great player and knew how to have fun.
  7. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +579
    Article says he is from Meridian MS not FT Walton.
  8. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +846
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  9. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +579
    My post was not weak. I simply stated that the article says he is from Meridian, MS, which it does. I suppose I could have said more but you are reading into what I wrote. At the time, my wife was asleep. I asked her about Dyron this morning. She is a graduate of FHS class of '84. She knew Dyron. As for his family being well-respected, that is all relative. I have at least 100 blood relatives of my own in Destin and Ft. Walton and my wife's family has been there since 1964. Some of my blood relatives are\were well-respected like Mattie May Kelly. Others, not so much. The Nixes are the same. Some of them are respected. Others not so much.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  10. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +846
    Weak, I was just playing around with you. And I thought you were too. But it looks like you were trying to discredit a very benign post that I made about someone's passing.
    If she knew Dyron and you and she have this many family members in the area, you should have known that he played at Fort Walton. He was a super star there and at that time, Fort Walton was very much a small community. His family was well respected. Why are you being like this in a thread about someone who passed away?
  11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +176
    Freak / Raid -

I was at that tourney also. Hammonds scored about 30 but Nix slam dunks brought the crowd to its feet.
    He was a tremendous player, very sad news. So Raid, you kin to the Kellys? I know Imma Jean. ($$)

Kelly name is like Pryor or Destin - I'll never forget when the yacht went missing. My father was one of the first
    40 registered voters in FWB and owned the Magnolia Club back in the days when FWB was a gambling
    mecca.