Right now, USCe resembles way more of a football university than UF

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by nashg8r, Dec 2, 2013.

1. 3xchump

3xchump Member

Ratings Received:
    +67
    I would consider 7-6 in 2011 to be a bad year too. I would consider 22-16 to be bad overall. I can't imagine what will happen when we lose Urban's players and have to rely on the players Muschamp recruited and coached.

Conner Shaw got knocked out at the beginning of the game vs a UCF team that beat UL. They came back and won. Clowney missed a few games, they still won. Saying USC would have lost several more games is ridiculous. This is their third year in a row winning 10 or more games.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. intimigator1

intimigator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +161
    Count me in as one that is happy for USCe...if we don't want them to succeed then we will have a better team. Its that simple.
  3. 3xchump

3xchump Member

Ratings Received:
    +67
    We were also a play away from losing to an unranked, in the FCS Top 25, team in ULL. BTW, Georgia Southern is the #41 ranked team in the FCS this year. Didn't look like they moved up too much after beating us.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs
    • Like Like x 1
  4. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,461
    22-16 overall is bad by Gator standards. No disagreement.

But you're telling us that if USCe lost 13 starters including both Shaw and Thompson at QB, Davis at RB, their most explosive WR and KR, three or four OL including their top three OTs, as well as Clowney and a few other defenders, they wouldn't have lost several more games?

That's not a perspective SOS (or any SEC HC) would share with you. I don't think.
  5. intimigator1

intimigator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +161
    Football is a crazy game..my thinking is that defensively we are fine but even defenses would like to see scoring from the offense. There is no argument that our offense has been living on the edge of survival for way too long. Give the players an innovative coach and we will be just fine. Even average players can excel with the right plays.
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,461
    We weren't a play away from losing to ULL. At least two plays. :cool:

There is no excuse for the GA Southern loss. If Foley had canned Champ at that point, I'd have agreed with that. But he is sticking by Champ for at least one more year and I will too. There is no doubt that a guy who wins SEC Coach of the Year is capable of leading successful teams. Champ will have to prove he is capable of doing it consistently.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Let's also not forget that ULL was actually a decent game and we were down a QB in that game. Games like that happen sometimes, it doesn't diminish how good our team was last year, nor does that excuse how bad our team was this year.
  8. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,915
    Here we go again with the luck.... Everything that happens for us = luck, everything against us = bad coaching.

You don't "luck" into a 30+ turnover margin. Your hate for Muschamp may be warranted but don't shoot down our players accomplishments to prove your point.
  9. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,054
    Not in the least. If they had our issues, they would be lucky to go 5-7. No question about that.

Last year, UCF was a mid-major. They are playing well, but it's not like they are a powerhouse. USCe was lucky to win.

As for the Clown Man, he missed games against Kentucky and Coastal Carolina, and played sparingly against Arkansas. That's it. Big deal.
  10. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,511
    How many losses did Spurrier have in his first five years at USCe? After you get the answer (which I know), maybe you'll understand why it is good to stick with a coach and let him build a program.
  11. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +311
    if you bothered to read what I was referring to you might have aclue as to what your are talking about.

The poster said Miami was lucky because we turned the ball over and that isn't on Muschamp.

You actually proved my point by saying the 30+ isn't all luck. Just like the Miami turnovers.
  12. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,054
    But that's DIFFERENT! It was doubtless his DC's fault, or his players fault. They had absolutely NO talent, dontchaknow?:D

There was a REASON Jon Hoke turned SOs down to be his DC at USCe...
  13. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,915
    I don't bother following every single post so if thats what you mean then I stand corrected. However, saying anything about the Miami game is Muschamps fault is completely wrong. We dominated them on defense minus, what, two plays? Even the playcalling wasn't terrible during that game, we moved the ball in between the 20's with ease. The playcalling and the offensive line play added to Driskels decision making in the redzone is what killed us in that game.
  14. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +311
    So turnovers are an excuse for losing for Muschamp but they are not for the teams he beats?
    Got it.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,054
    No more of a double standard than saying Spurrier losses are due to either his DC or his players, while his wins are due to his genius, while with Muxchamp, his wins are due to luck (IOW, in SPITE of him) and his losses are due to HIS bad coaching...
    • Boring Boring x 1
  16. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +3,915
    Exactly... If we win its because of luck, if we lose its because Muschamp sucks. If we win close and just barely miss the title game with Muschamp, its lucky and he still sucks. If we win close games in 06 with what is now considered "luck" Meyer is a great coach.

Where did you come up with this, because you don't seem to be responding to what I said. Besides, Muschamp is a defensive coach. He does not coach offense, why would our turnovers be HIS fault?
  17. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +311
    Spurrier never lost to Ga So.

In my opinion there is not excuse for that.

And if you, at this point in any way compare Muschamp to Spurrier, you are the best kind of fan Muschamp could ever have
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. rogocop

rogocop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +307
    Sorry...they have no SEC championship banners....no crystal footballs...sure they are improving their product on the field, but the pendulum will swing again, just like it has for Florida......Florida.....Football School......South Carolina.....Baseball School....
    I do agree their stadium atmosphere is much better than ours right now.....but tailgaiting stinks....no trees....
  19. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,409
    You mean....the season where we needed a last-second miracle to beat Louisiana-Lafayette?
    The same season ended by a total coaching meltdown in the Sugar Bowl?
    Good thing we found out Murphy could play...after it was way too late.
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Although USC in 2004 != UF in 2010.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1