Rift between Dwyer and Florida evident after recent football transfers

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by RaptureVeteran, May 7, 2013.

1. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +420
    Our defense played ferociously. They didn't play well, but they were flying all over the place and absolutely murdering anyone they could hit. It didn't do much good, but it certainly looked to me like they were playing hard.
  2. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    yes they gave great effort like MadduxFanII said
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,997
    You don't want anybody calling your coaching staff liars. That is bad pub that all our competitors will use against us... it's something Muschamp should try to clear up with Daniels, IMO.

Elam's tweets were disappointing - you'd hope he'd be mature enough to keep that stuff in house.

Other than that, not much to see here. Kids transfer for lots of reasons, and most everyone expected either Driskel or Brissett to transfer.

Too bad Christian wasn't more patient - he'd be a big part of the offense this year.
  4. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +349
    I can't help but think of a similar situation in the mid-1990's between Danny Wuerffel and Eric Kresser. Both were all-state QB's (Kresser at Palm Beach Gardens High), and both were highly recruited. Both came to Florida the same year. Wuerffel won the starting job, and Kresser saw no significant playing time except for homecoming their junior year in 1995. At that game, Spurrier decided to rest Wuerffel (with his consent) and started Kresser. All he did was throw for 458 yards and 6 TD's, including a 96 yard TD to Quez Green.

Kresser knew he would never see any playing time unless Danny was injured, so he decided to transfer to Marshall for this senior year. Marshall was Division I-AA at that time, so he could play immediately. And play he did. In his one season there, he went 15-0 and won the Division I-AA national championship. He then spent 6 years playing in the NFL, NFL-Europe and the CFL.

So did Kresser get a raw deal? Should he have been the starter at Florida? Was he given a fair chance to compete for the starting job? Did Spurrier unfairly favor Wuerffel over Kresser? Could the same be said about Tim Tebow, Cam Newton and Meyer? I think we all know the answer to those questions.

I wish Jacoby well, but even if he is very successful at his new school, it won't mean that Muschamp and the coaching staff made the wrong decision.
  5. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    I don't understand the Dwyer coach. He says Brissett didn't get a fair shot. Yet according to WM Brissett competed for the starting job on an equal basis with Driskel right up to the opening of the season, then he played some in the BG game and started three other games during the season with mixed results (to put it kindly 3 TDs, 4 INTs when one of his starts was Jax State isn't exactly lighting up the field). What's WM supposed to do to give him a fair shake, start him in 6 games and Driskel in 6 regardless of how they both performed?

A HC's first job is to win games. If he hurts feelings while doing it and maybe even has to back-track on a promise he made earlier because of changed circumstances that's too bad. But it's almost inevitable when recruiting at the high level we are. We get a lot of potentially good players. They can't all start.
  6. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +346
    The big difference in the above is Danny was a great QB. Jeff didn't really light it up passing last year. Overall, Jeff played decently, however his passing and the passing game really wasn't up to par. IMO, the reference to JB not getting a fair shot should be viewed in context relating to how Jeff played. I don't know if Jacoby would have played better.
  7. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,530
    Jacoby might not have started as many games but the staff saw them both in practice for a considerable length of time. I have no idea how the process of elimination and communication went but I can see how the staff might have decided they can only keep one and had to move Jacoby to transfer. Jeff Driskel if probably not the staff's dream QB either but they probably thought they had to make a clear choice now for some reason.
  8. G8RNTN

G8RNTN VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,523
    I think they played OK for the first couple of minutes then saw how it was going then SOME packed it up.
  9. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +559
    If JB never played than maybe I could understand this but he actually started a couple of games and played enough for all of us to realize that he was not significantly better. I actually can't even remember a play he made on the field that made you think he was better than Driskel. I do remember Cam Newton came in for mop up duty against UT I believe and just trucked a linebacker on his way to the end zone and thought to myself maybe we have a QB in waiting. It was JB's responsibility to show something special when he was on the field and he didn't.
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    They played hard the whole game they just lost. NAME THE PLAYERS WHO PACKED IT IN
  11. gators4life

gators4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +237
    People are really using true freshman stats to prove why one player is seen as significantly better? Sorry but most all true freshman QB's in the SEC are going to struggle. Thrown in the fire at Death Valley, no OL, no WR's. I mean I agree that Driskel gave us the best option to win last year, but using stats from a true freshman season seems quite ridiculous. Neither got into a rhythm their freshman years, and didn't expect to be thrown in the fire when Brantley went down with injury. Most thought red shirts would be involved. If we were comparing soph and jr stats I could understand. But saying that player A is better then Player B after limited PT as freshman in the toughest conference in the Nation just baffles me. And what did Driskel do that was any better his freshman year? They both were underwhelming. Some people just need to let the controversy go. Driskel is our QB Jacoby is at NC State. Good luck to him.
  12. G8RNTN

G8RNTN VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,523
  13. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I didnt even start the convo with you. You asked me the initial question. What about their play/effort makes you believe they packed it in?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. g8r925

g8r925 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    This is nothing new, Elam was running his mouth about driskel right after the last game. And I'm sure that the other guys that left from Dwyer has something great to say as well about why they didn't get a chance or an opportunity. I hope Brissett has a good career but from the way he looked in the spring game he still has a ways to go. He throws an pretty under thrown ball almost every time.
  15. PIMking

PIMking New Member

Ratings Received:
    +894
    I f the rumors about JB are true and him splitting the locker room deal was true, that to me is enough to kindly walk him to the door and ask to leave. WM walked into a mess with players splitting that locker room and doesn't need a whiner doing even more.

I have no hard feelings to JB, to me he sounds like he and his coach are the ones with sour grapes.

adios amigo, we don't need guys who want teammates to pick sides, we want guys to back up their mates and beat the crap out of the other side.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. gatormoe1

gatormoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    1st of all, this is sour grapes from Dwyer. The guys that transferred werent going to win a position and prob needed to step up to get more playing time. Instead, they took the easy way out.

2nd, don't argue with AZ. He seems to think he is the be all end all expert around here and whatever you disagree with, you're going to be wrong, no matter what. No point in trying.
  17. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +699
    Don't see this as sour grapes at all, just a coach defending his kids. If i was a Dwyer parent he sounds like a coach i would want my son to play for. Kind of surprised this didnt happen sooner given all the transfers. This stuff happens all the time for various reasons. If Florida wants to keep getting players out of Dwyer certainly wouldn't hurt to have a private conversation.
  18. G8RNTN

G8RNTN VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,523
    Like I said u see it one way and I see it another!!
  19. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    well obviously that is true that is why I am asking you to elaborate
  20. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +732
    I know Jack and he is a good guy but I think that Brissett and the others who left did it to themselves.