Rift between Dwyer and Florida evident after recent football transfers

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by RaptureVeteran, May 7, 2013.

1. RaptureVeteran

RaptureVeteran New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
  2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +156
    Time for some damage control.
  3. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +646
    I'm sure they are both fine QBs and I trust that the coaches made the right decision. One was going to have to transfer to play ... I think both knew that when they both signed on for the same class.
  4. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +441
    The coach at Dwyer (a Florida alum, apparently) does say at the end of the piece that he won't try to steer anyone away from UF, though there are some vague intonations about the close-knit nature of the Dwyer program working against us in recruiting there.
  5. jjenkins5

jjenkins5 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +544
    Eh. Nothing to see here from my perspective. I think the high school coach is probably just doing his job and Will is doing his. We all know high school success doesn't necessarily translate into collegiate success, but that's not the high school coaches problem. Once they leave high school, he has the luxury of unconditionally supporting his guys without having to hold them accountable or even be bothered with understanding how they're holding up relative to their collegiate teammates.

Jacoby clearly possesses the talent to achieve at a high level. However, Jacoby was recruited by Weis, was given a fair shot as far as we know, and lost out under a new OC. It is not surprising Jacoby's HS coach supports him. I don't know anything about the other situations, but I'm guessing an objective person in possession of all the facts would conclude it is merely conincidental that this concentration of players from one high school all transferred. JMHO.
  6. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +864
    Thought this tidbit was odd, considering Dunkley was higher rated than all players mentioned, and Dunker wasn't far behind.

"The Dwyer trio, however, are signficantly more perplexing because not only were they more sought-after coming out of high school...."

Clark was lucky to even get a UF offer and Brissett knew the #1 QB prospect was already enrolled. This happens EVERYWHERE 2 highly rated QB's enter in the same class.
  7. RaptureVeteran

RaptureVeteran New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    i was really surprised by elams tweets, did he not like driskel at all?
  8. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +710
    That's how I remember it. I didn't even think we were on the radar until Weis got here and went after him. The article indicates Meyer was also recruiting him before he left, see below, maybe so but I don't think there was a lot of interest until Weis.

9. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,215
    Frankly, JB showed me nothing. For all the hype I saw very little that said hey this guy is going to be great. He had the same problem JD had and that was an OL that couldn't pass block especialy our LT. Now JB may be more dedicated in the film room, or whatever, but on the field I did not see anything that showed me he was better than JD.
    As for elam or whoever, I believe black athletes prefer a black qb over a white qb if there isn't a huge separation in talent. UF's first game, JD got the cold shoulder when he missed some open targets and I'm pretty sure sides were taken and some did not want JD to be their qb. JMO.
  10. ofmgator

ofmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    No problem with the way WM handled things. Some guys win and some lose and it's been that way since way back when. Everyone can't be a starter and coaches always play the guy they think has the best chance to help the team win.
  11. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,239
    Maybe it's just me but couldn't a prominent coach at a 'powerhouse' institution like Dwyer air his concerns directly with Will Muschamp rather than create a beautiful sub-text by giving an interview like this? It smacks of bitterness to me.

I don't think there's a story here if he doesn't give the reporter all the fuel they wanted but then maybe that was his agenda all along...
  12. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,281
    Probably just supporting his boy.
    But our poor effort against Louisville....following Driskel's interception,
    really makes me wonder if the defense didn't just pack it in.
  13. jareduf

jareduf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +156
    I am no expert and I really hope I am wrong, but I thought JB was the better qb. IMO, he had better pocket awareness and the better touch.

I really hope JD proves me wrong.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +516
    Statistically, Jeff was the better QB and is more elusive. No brainer on the starter. Sour grapes on Jack Daniels part.
  15. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +820
    Perhaps Dwyer and Coach Daniels should view this from another perspective......the quitting in mid season, disruption, and divisiveness from his past players at UF may hurt future kids from that school in getting a shot to play for the premier prgram in the state, the flagship school, and a member of the SEC. Maybe they should concern themselves over mending fences rather than vice versa?

I know it's not as simple as that of course. But by the same token it isn't as simple and one sided as that article makes things out either. UF will be fine with or without Dwyer, and Dwyer will be fine with or without UF. But they both would be better off on good terms and I would imagine that will happen. But public comments like those from Daniels serve no good purpose and he should know better. He also knows Muschamp really can't respond/defend himself....Will must take the high road here.
  16. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +567
    What I don't understand is why this coach and so many people think Brissett didn't get a fair chance. I think they are quick to just assume the decision was based solely on the game performances, when in all likelihood, the decision was made mostly based on practice performance.

But even if you compare the the game stats, Driskel had a higher completion percentage, a MUCH better TD/INT ratio.

I would understand the coaches' point if Brissett had not gotten into games or looked really sharp when he was in, but he really didn't.

I don't blame Brissett leaving. That was a personal choice he had to make in terms of what was best for him, but in the end, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't become a decision that he winds of regretting.

And I don't blame his coach for supporting him and wanting the best for him, but I think it's a little irresponsible for him to say the UF coaches "lied" and that Brissett wasn't given a chance. And I don't blame Elam for supporting him either. That's what friends do.
  17. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    you dont think they played hard?
  18. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +576
    This writer seems to be doing his best Jeremy Fowler impression.

I.e., taking a few not-so-scandalous quotes and trying to make a big deal out of them. The only incindiary things from that article (other than Matt Elam's bitching, which isn't anything new) are from the author.
  19. G8RNTN

G8RNTN VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,604
    Do you?????
  20. sgtfury

sgtfury Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +108
    Dwyer is not the 1st school to have sour grapes @ UF and will not be the last. Like anywhere else if we like em and they want to be a Gator I am sure that will happen.