Rick Perry indicted on 2 felony counts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Aug 15, 2014.

1. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,037
    funny how you libs have no problems with obama and his many unConstitutional changes via EO to the ACA bill and yet want Perry skewered for using veto power afforded him by the Texas State guvment
  2. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +417
    you never miss a chance to get a jab in at Obama. Do you ever just stick with the topic of the thread?

It's not about him using his veto power. It's about him threatening to use it if someone doesn't resign. You don't see where we can't have elected officials doing this? or at least making it known that is what they are doing.
  3. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,773
    http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...out-texas-governor-rick-perry-being-indicted/
  4. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,228
    As if outside of Texas anyone should care. No chance he is nominated as a national candidate.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,037

what I see is an elected official who got arrested for DUI and the guvner telling them to resign and then I see a guvner using the threat of his veto power to try and get the official to do the right thing

as for your obama- I will never give up trying to point out what a skunk he is
  6. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,360
    Bottom line: Perry was within his rights to call for the official to resign. He was also within his rights as governor to veto funding for the unit--and to threaten to veto funding. Elected officials from both parties do the exact same thing ALL the time. How many times has the House passed a bill--and Obama publicly said he'd veto it if it passed the Senate? Is that an indictable offense?

Of course not. And neither should this be either. This is a ridiculous waste of time and only cements increased partisanship across the board because now Republicans will do the same thing to Democrats in other states.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,037
    I am sure the dems in Wisconsin are going to be watching this closely
  8. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +417
    again. we can't have government officials using threats. there are a lot of better ways he could have done it.

he is just as much your obama as he is mine
  9. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +417
    That would be Obama telling you what he is going to do, not threatening.
  10. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,037
    hardly- I think the US is a country without a leader-just some guy who wanted to be prez but does not want to actually do the job
  11. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
  12. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,173
    Using his power to squash an investigation about him?

I'm sure you'd have no problem with Obama doing that to Holder.
  13. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +92
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +849
    If I was Perry I would say, "It's not like I closed a bridge or something."
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. persegator

persegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +82
    It certainly looks improper.

Still, corruption is usually a situation where a public official uses the powers of his office to generate some kind of private gain for himself or his friends.

In situations where there is an exclusively good faith attempt to serve the interests of the public, what is and isn't improper becomes a lot less clear. Meddling with another elected official's duties might be an aggressive thing to do, but is it/should it be considered actually corrupt?

Certainly, the principle of separated powers should be upheld. But is it the responsibility of the system or the individual actor to uphold that principle? If the system allows an official to subvert it using his legitimately vested powers, is it an individual fault or a systemic one?

As others have mentioned, you see similar actions regularly in co-equal branches of government that are clearly permissible. Presidents often threaten to veto a bill if Congress doesn't act how he wants. On the other hand, sometimes bridging that gap is impermissible. Congress can't use its powers to overtly coerce the individual states into acting in a certain way. But even then, the remedy isn't jail time for the congressmen who voted for the bill, it's just invalidation. A systemic remedy rather than an individual one.

Does the analysis change if you are calling for a particular action of another official? Or if the official is employed in a particularly sensitive capacity (e.g. ethics investigations)? Or perhaps if you are threatening cutting off the ability of the official to function at all, such as your example of cutting the purse strings of the Courts?
  16. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +417
    You can think whatever you want. He is the President. You are a US citizen (presumably, I would like to see your papers because I don't believe you :rolleyes:) He is your President. If you don't think so, then go to the White House and start spouting your nonsense and see where that gets you.
  17. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +9,037
    I have never said he wasn't the President- he is a pitiful excuse of a Pres who is not only a terrible leader but a proven LIAR- the fact that you libs still worship at his feet says alot about who you are- I have never once tried to deny who I was or what I believed and it matters little to me what you think artie- I am totally comfortable with who and what I am

as far as obama- I have made it totally clear as to what I think he is and the total lack of respect I have for the supposed job he is doing, and would have zero problem telling him to his face-I highly doubt there is a corporation in this Country where he could stay as the CEO after the pitiful job he has done- it is obvious by your posts you want what he is preaching-that is your problem not mine
  18. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +837
    For more perspective, here is videotape of her behavior during booking. She fought, cursed and threatened the officers.
    Worthy of District Attorney? And she is questioning Perry's ethics?

Dashcam of her arrest. See how cooperative she is with law enforcement?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,779
    00:50 or so: "Uh, ya'll better do something quick, cause ya'll are going to jail, not me."

Sounds like a threat, witness intimidation, and/or implied extortion to me. That's not an abuse of governmental authority ?

Seems like she doesn't like the arrest process, you know, the process that applies to every other citizen whenever the police have probable cause to make an arrest.

What a contemptuous wretch.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +585
    This doesn't come across as much from my view in Jersey and makes what Palin supposedly did in Alaska as a follow-up to her nephew being tased as peanuts.