Rick Casares

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by EbSaxman, Sep 15, 2013.

1. EbSaxman

EbSaxman Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    Saw this morning that former Gator running back and Chicago Bears great Rick Casares died Friday night at home in Tampa. He scored the first touchdown in Florida's first bowl game, a 14-13 win over Toledo in the Gator Bowl. He trails only Walter Payton and fellow Gator Neal Anderson in rushing yards for the Bears. Probably the best athlete to ever come out of Tampa. Will be missed.
  2. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,773
    link
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    I saw Rick Casares play against my beloved Hillsborough High in some kind of all star game when I was about 13. He was phenomenal (I couldn't stand him). Punted the ball at least 60 yds among other ridiculous feats. I later saw him play football and basketball at UF; and he was simply a star at whatever he undertook. However, I did not realize until now that he missed his senior year at UF because he was drafted into the Army.

I am told by family members that he was a good guy, and loyal friend. My father-in-law-to-be befriended him (in the way that successful business men befriended top athletes at their favorite colleges in the day), and they maintained a friendly relationship through the years until my father-in-law's death.

I understand that his health had been bad for awhile. RIP
  4. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,773
    I'm remember someone making a list of only a handful of players who could have gone straight from high school to the NFL. Casares was on it.
  5. Swamp55

Swamp55 Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    Rick Casares was a genuine legend. If you are not already really familiar with him, read the article linked to above by rivergator, and also the article I've linked to below. Try to imagine any player in your lifetime with his athletic skills. Not to mention that he was, by all accounts, a hell of a nice guy.

R.I.P. to a great Gator and a fine man.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/obitua...casares-dies-starred-for-bears-gators/2141841
  6. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +192
    My father's favorite Gator.

When the NFL made their "Best of the NFL: The First 75 Years" (or words to that effect)video, Rick Casares was the only Gator in the video.

Truly a man among boys in the old videos I've seen - in college and the NFL. Don't know why he's not in the NFL HOF. Did an injury cut his career short?
  7. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,976
    What number was Rick Casares among the Gator college football HOFers?