Richard Sherman goes on postgame rant with Erin Andrews (video)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorman_07732, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Spleezy

Spleezy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +68

I'm on record saying he shouldn't have shoved him in the face. And Sherman can say whatever he wants but people are allowed to call him out. Now perhaps you're in the camp that believes he's a victim but I think he was in totally control of the situation.
  2. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,062
    My latter comment wasn't directed at you directly. I also would never say he was a victim. My point is everything that was done, from Crabbtree leading up to this, led to his outburst; especially the shoving of the face. I also don't see his comments as taking anything away from his teammates. Everything he stated was towards Crabbtree. Don't talk about me, I'm the best; and he proved it yet again. Like you said, if Sherman was in total control of the situation then Crabbtree was as well.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Spleezy

Spleezy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    The only reason it's a Sherman issue is he brought those off season/on the field issues into an interview. Given the opportunity Crabtree may have created the uproar but that distinction goes to Sherman.
  4. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,062
    That he did. That's all anybody talked about leading up to the game so I'm not surprised. That's all the man heard about every time he turned the TV on. I'm also sure he was asked about it quite a bit leading up to the game. Probably a hard thing to get off your mind.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +561
    A lot of people here seem to want to buy into the idea that Sherman is the victim here.

The common view of what led up to this feud is based on comments from Richard Sherman that the feud started at Larry Fitzgerald's charity softball game in April. And then by Sherman's brother, who didn't witness the event at all, but told the local Seattle Times newspaper what Richard Sherman told him happened - that Crabtree tried to start a fight with Sherman after Sherman tried to shake his hand. That story is totally coming from Sherman and Sherman's brother, based on what Richard Sherman told him. All the major media posting this story are quoting this Seattle Times article.

But you might want to read this story that quotes a neutral party that actually observed what happened, who says that while the handshake attempt happened, it was Sherman who was the instigator. This witness claims that Sherman kept getting in Crabtree's face and that Crabtree was just laughing. Exactly what was said is unknown, but this witness seems pretty clear that it was Sherman who was the sole instigator.

http://www.nj.com/super-bowl/index...._fight_michael_crabtree_at_charity_event.html

Now I'm not saying that's exactly what happened and I'm not trying to say Crabtree isn't at least partially responsible because I would guess he probably is. But to his credit, in my opinion, Crabtree is the one that seems to have taken the high road in all this. I'm sure the media has tried to get his side of the story too, but Crabtree hasn't badmouthed Sherman to the press. He isn't even commenting on the incident.

Another interesting comment was made by Richard Sherman's brother that makes it sound like Sherman's comments to Erin Andrews and press conference might not have been spontaneous emotion in the heat of passion after all. Sounds like it may have been premeditated and calculated.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  6. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,062
    For one, I've been spelling Crabtree wrong this whole time and nobody has called me out. So much for the grammar nazi theory :)

I'm also on record as saying Sherman isn't a victim nor would I have necessarily acted in the same manner.

I, just like you, really have no clue now what really led up to it seeing that things keep getting changed. I do know that there was talk that Crabtree was calling him out during the week; that was even talked about on the NFL show leading up to the game. Nonetheless, I guess regardless of what words were said from either side, I'm not shocked at the "rant" Sherman went on. Now whether it was premeditated or not, I'm sure the shove to the face didn't help things. I don't really see that as taking the high road. Had that not happened, and Sherman made his comments, I may look at it differently. I still think they should have known better then to interview him. That's like interviewing Tyson and being shocked when he says he wants to eat your face. ;)
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. atlantagator86

Ratings Received:
    +561
    I noticed it but I knew who you were talking about so I wasn't worried about correcting you.

Yes, you have noted that, but you've also stated more than once that it's "on record" that it was "Crabbtree instigating everything", which I presume to mean trying to fight Sherman, and comments made before the game and pushing his face mask. Not putting words in your mouth but that sounds to me like you view Sherman as the victim and you've spend a good bit of effort trying to defend him and his actions.

You've even gone so far as to call people who question Sherman's actions "holier than thou" and called us hypocrites. Just sayin'. ;)

As far as I can tell, outside the tweets between them directly, the only thing Crabtree is on record doing, is refusing to publicly acknowledge that Sherman was the best cornerback in the league. There may have been more but I haven't seen it and I haven't seen anything about Crabtree publicly calling Sherman out. Now what might have been said in tweets between them, I have no idea.

So far, the only thing that's changed is that all we've seen until that article I just posted was Sherman's accounts of what happened. I think everyone just assumed that because all the major media was saying Crabtree tried to start a fight, that that's what happened. But as it turns out, that's just Sherman's story about what happened.

Hard to say about the face shove. I suspect you're right that if Crabtree hadn't done that, he would appear more innocent. But I also can see that based on what MIGHT have actually happened at the softball tournament, where Sherman apparently did a similar gesture of trying to shake hands, only to get in his face and try to start a fight (if you believe that neutral witness) and based on the bad blood, that Crabtree didn't view it as a gesture of good sportsmanship at all. And quite honestly, based on other taunting Sherman has done in the past after games, I seriously doubt Sherman was trying to show any sort of sportsmanship. Maybe he was, but I tend to think he did it just to try to get under Crabtree's skin. And it apparently worked.

And if the brother's comments do show that Sherman planned some time ago to trash Crabtree in the media, my guess is that face shove had little to no significance in what Sherman did or said.

As for the media, why wouldn't they want to interview him???? Seriously! That's what the media lives for. That's their job! If anything, I think Erin Andrews or somebody else should have pushed him a little harder.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +932
    There is no victim because there is no crime. Man was hyped up after an emotional win that I can't begin to imagine what that must have felt like to be such a big part of as a player. I imagine the level of restraint to say the proper thing would be akin to hitting your hand with a hammer and then being expected to say something "classy" were a camera to be shoved in front of your face. Presumably, you would need to vent a little bit. I think the real Sherman has made himself known in the aftermath. Seems like a likeable guy from what I've seen.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,535
    um...I pretty clearly said the rivalries have bad blood lasting decades, but sure.

I don't doubt teams with long histories of playing each other (Green Bay-Chicago, Dallas-Philly, Redskins-Dallas) are all pretty heated. I don't doubt Seattle-San Fran is as intense as they come...right now. But 10 years ago (heck, even 5 years ago), when both San Fran and Seattle were mid-tier teams, let's not act like that game meant what it means now.

No matter what f$u's season is going like or what our season is like, I hope we crush them every year. They feel the same way about us. Same with Clemson-South Carolina and other rivalries.

...well, for most fans, it's still a no-brainer: you support the team anyway, regardless if they're winning or losing. But maybe that's just me...
  10. atlantagator86

Ratings Received:
    +561
    There are definitely some big time historical NFL rivalries, but SF/Seattle really isn't one of them. It really only became a major rivalry in 2011, when Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh met for the first time as NFL coaches, and carried over some bad blood from their rivalry game between Stanford and USC.

Doesn't make it any less intense right now, but it certainly doesn't have much history.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,061
    For all those crying foul (or whatever) over RS's little rant...2 words:

Colin KapperPunk.

....and let's add Jim Harbaugh, for good measure...

...and top it off with Craba$$...

....and you get the trifecta of douchebag punka$$ attitude.

For these chumps, y'all want to cry 'class' and 'sportsmanship' and the like???

Screw the 9'ers....it was perfectly fitting that RS should punk the super-punks. Poetic justice. A thing of beauty to be relished in context (hell, even out of context, it was beautifully entertaining!).
  12. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,062
    My "holier than thou" and hypocrisy comment were directed at the fans here and anywhere else who love it when their team talks smack but want to dog Sherman for the same thing. Also I'd venture to say that at some point in our life we all have stated we are the best at something. I guess because it wasn't in front of a camera it's not the same.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,952
    There need not be a crime for there to be a victim(s). On the other hand, I'm not sure there can be an aftermath w/o a victim(s). My notion is that Sherman has become the victim of his own actions. But the consequences are a matter of mere scrutiny. I don't see this incident hurting his wallet in any manner.
  14. MdlGator

MdlGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +70
    Colin K. answered the question that when he saw Crabtree and was lined up one on one he new had to go to him because he said Crabtree can almost always make the play when there is no help. So I don't think it was necessarily Harbaugh's call.
  15. gatorheel

gatorheel Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    Did anyone else read Jameis' tweet? Talk about illiterate!
  16. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,062
    Future politician?
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,802
    Bad decision. And Sherman was not shy in letting the world know about it.

A bit of a shame in all this is that the focus on Sherman's rant, distracts from recognizing the greatness of that play. And that was a freaking great individual play, that put his team in the Super Bowl.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,535
    I don't think anyone would disagree with that. The 49ers are a fairly whiny bunch.

But if I'm going to criticize Harbaugh for being a whiny douche--then it'd be pretty hypocritical to allow someone else to one-up them in the douchebag category just because I don't particularly care for him.

Here's an example: I can't stand the Mannings--as many on this board already know. If Brady had punked Manning in the AFC championship and gone on a similar rant after the game about how he was the "best QB in the league" and Manning was a "sorry QB"--I'd be criticizing him just as much. The fact I don't like Manning has zero to do with it...it's a classless gesture from a professional who should know better.
  19. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,062
    lol at the classless comments
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,373
    Meh. The more I think about this, the more I think it's just Ric Flair going off on Dusty Rhodes after securing the title with his signature figure-4.
    • Funny Funny x 1