Rev. Jesse Jackson says Paula Deen can be redeemed

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PSGator66, Jun 27, 2013.

1. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,806
    To be honest I was never a fan of her cooking. She made a ton of money so for her sake I hope she saved it because nobody will touch her again.
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,717
    I suspect her restaurant will be just fine at bare minimum. Time heals all wounds.
  3. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,806
    I didn't realize she had one, but if she doesn't drop weight with her health condition she may not have that kind of time. I tried yelling through the TV to lay of the friend food but she just ignored me.
  4. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +487
  5. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,224

Her new cookbook has a record number of orders.
  6. brainstorm

brainstorm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    • Like Like x 1
  7. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,717
    Well Baldwin's definitely gotten heat for his actions in the past.
  8. g8rjd

g8rjd Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +374
    Maybe it's me and that I have read deposition and trial transcripts in cases with real harassment and discrimination, but I recently became curious about what all the hubbub was about and read her deposition. My conclusion about what a gregarious 66-year old Southern woman said? Meh.

Honestly, the Plaintiff's attorney did what good employment law plaintiff's attorneys do. He set up questions that put her in the position to appear that she is a racist. She isn't familiar with that and doesn't see where he was trapping her. And I say that with no animosity towards the plaintiff's lawyer. His job is to get that case past summary judgment to trial and he got what he could.

Admittedly, every answer was not ideal and there were plenty where she expounded on the question instead of just answering what was asked (I could see her lawyer thinking "shut up Paula."). But after reading the deposition, did I feel like this was a woman who presently treats African-Americans or other groups less or different based on those traits or intentionally aims to make them uncomfortable in her employ? Not really.
  9. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,002
    Same here, but some people forget the world is a big place.
  10. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,002
    Wal Mart would still be profitable with or without Paula Deen, that is true. But somebody at Wal Mart thinks they'll make more money dropping her brand than continuing to carry it. Probably says as much about the popularity of the Paula Deen products as it does for the situation she currently finds herself in.

As for the idea that Wal Mart is trying to appease "Jackson, libs, and lefties" - libs and lefties don't like Wal Mart, so I can't figure out why Wal Mart would try to appease them. My guess is Wal Mart is trying to appease people who dislike racists, which I hope is a much larger crowd than just libs and lefties.

Finally the number of people buying her book represents a drop in the ocean to companies like Wal Mart, and as you said, most of them are going to shop at those stores regardless.

Honestly, do you think there's someone at Wal Mart, or Target, or Food Network who sees this situation as their chance to score one for the liberals? Get real, it's all about money. If a week from now the public decides that Paula Deen is actually a good person and all this got blown out of proportion, those companies will be right back with her. I will not be surprised if a year from now Paula Deen is back on TV and selling her crappy products and food to the masses again.

Don't you get tired thinking every little thing is some liberal/conservative battle?
  11. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,717
    True, though I'm sure if most of the American populace were privy to many murder cases they'd probably yawn at the Hernandez story.

The primary thing is what makes Paula Deen valuable is her image, which is an affable, approachable grandmotherly Southern woman who just happens to love copious amounts of butter. Any suggestion or assumption that she's racist - which, given the testimony would probably pass the sniff test for most people - damages that image.

But most importantly, it boils down to the response to this. As mentioned, she should have been on top of this. She must have a management firm that sees this and gets in front of it. That didn't happen.
  12. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +605
    Food Network was Paula's employer and she was fired.
    Harder to tell what comments made by people like Baldwin and Mel Gibson have cost them. Not like we see Mel much any more so I suspect they're each paying a more subtle opportunity cost.

And for one, this left of center Jew thinks Graham is the real deal, unlike the others.
  13. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,717
    Well I've already seen Baldwin's story posted three times on random articles I've been on, which surprises me since people usually have a finite quota for celebrity bad news at any given time.

And I would agree that Gibson has basically been a Hollywood pariah since his outrage(s).
  14. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,918
    Umm, I know the world is big. Believe it or not.....I even*think* it MIGHT be round :ninja:
  15. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,144
    Deen is more than regional. A couple years ago she was the Grand Marshal of the Rose Parade (2011), Caesars had her restaurants in four locations (two in the south, others in Indiana and Illinois)
  16. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,918
    Geez...well I'll make sure that the next time I make a post about what *I'm* seeing around me that I take a nationwide survey as to how the product specifically is doing. Never mind that I had some Paula Deen cookware and can agree with the warping. :roll:

EITHER WAY, I think that Food Network, etc, just completely overreacted and were perhaps looking for a way out before this and found an easy out. There's no way some company who IS GETTING A PROFIT (according to those here) fires someone for something said that long ago. They'd release a statement, etc, but would just keep going.
  17. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,144
    I agree-

This is beginning to remind me of the Chick Filet debacle as their are support rallies and such being formed and held.
  18. chompalot

chompalot Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +316
    Franklin is another story.
  19. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,717
    I missed it, did someone say she was regional?
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,717
    I hope not.

Chik-Fil-A was a matter of principle. What is the principle here? I don't see these two as in any way comparable.

As for support, I'd totally support her. She seems to have remorse for things she's said in the past and doesn't appear to express any direct vitriol toward anyone.