Rev. Jesse Jackson says Paula Deen can be redeemed

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by PSGator66, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,636

Same guy. And bragged about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +661
    Exactly. I disagree with (I think it was old's comment) about Graham and the comparison to Jesse......in my view, they are WORLDS apart. While none of us can read a man's heart or mind, their actions DO play a part in forming an opinion. Graham has certainly seemed more sincere and genuine over the course of his life and never came across as one with a political agenda at all--he is a legit minister. Jesse on the other hand...no real job, nothing but a political agenda, and he has lied often. Sounds a lot like Hussein when you think about it....he is certainly no legit 'reverend'.
  3. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Hard to find two people more guilty of trying and succeeding to keep black people down than Jesse and Al.

Two despicable human beings.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +308
    They are two of the biggest hate peddlers out there. Their entire life based on a shakedown. Legal mobsters they are.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. cjgator76

cjgator76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    Whatever his flaws, Sharpton - unlike Jackson - hasn't used his position to run a protection racket for purposes of his own enrichment. At least not that I've ever heard about.
  6. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Ka- Ching! therfore Redeemed.
  7. JohnC1908

JohnC1908 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    Jackson and Sharpton have now said this. This leaves little doubt she's slid money to these two.
  8. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,636

"Consulting fees" and / or "positive spin publicity fees for the black folk", no doubt.

Race hustlers.

Seems like white folk - and the real Black folks who are not under the indignant spell of these guys - would be getting tired of seeing this sameole' tired routine.
  9. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
    Paula Deens problem is she handled the PR of the situation horribly. Once this thing started snowballing into a big controversy, why should Food Network or any of her sponsors take the hit too? It's all about money, and they determined it was better for the bottom line to cut her loose. It's simply business for them.
  10. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,043
    Politicians arent held responsible for things they say everyday bit somehow us commoners are for things we may have said decades ago.

And if you are a white commoner....
    • Like Like x 1
  11. fastsix

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
    Paula Dean is hardly a commoner. She's a celebrity worth at least $10 million and her job is largely dependent on the public's opinion of her. If she had handled the PR of her situation better, she'd most likely still be employed/sponsored. It's amazing that a women with so much success could be so clueless about how issues of race could potentially affect someone in her position. Whether she thinks what she said or did was a wrong, she should have been savvy enough to realize that many other people would think it was wrong.

You guys act like these companies are politically correct liberals trying to punish a conservative southern white women, when in reality they're simply capitalists. Why in the world should Food Network (and others) continue to employ Paula Deen, when doing so is going to hurt their business?

Personally, I think she probably is a racist, but at this point in her life it's probably only reflected in her thoughts, not her actions. I don't think she sets out to be purposely discriminatory or hateful, and I don't really think she's a bad person. Regardless, that she has been fired doesn't bother me one bit - I never watched her show, read her books, ate in her restaurants, or used her recipes. The loss of her businesses won't affect me in any way. Are some of you really huge Paula Deen fans? Or is it simply the liberal/conservative war by proxy of the moment? I'm guessing it's the latter.
  12. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +1,043
    Im glad you love the fact that politicians are held to a different standard than the rest of us, you included. Did you get the part about how long ago this was?

I've never watched her show either and really didnt even know who she was so you might want to redirect your 'slam on the man' to someone who gives a rip about her or her racist supporters which you came out with. Nice.
  13. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I don't like her schticht, and never could watch her show for more than 5 minutes, but I think someone at the network had it out for her. I can see how she'd rub some folks the wrong way with her overdone cutsey southern drawl. She probably thought that could buy her some grace points. She should have known the ways of the world better, at this stage of her life and career, and she showed some remarkable naivety on race issues.
  14. fastsix

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
    Did you get the part about it not mattering how long ago it was? Food Network is a business, if Paula Deen is bad for business, for whatever reason, she has to go. If at some point Food Network determines that employing her would be good for business (i.e. she is exonerated in the court of public opinion), they'll rehire her. Simple as that. It's stupid to pretend that Food Network, Wal Mart, Target etc. are full of big bad liberals more worried about being PC than worried about making money. For them, this is not about politics and this is not about hurt feelings, it's just business. They have a brand to protect and that's more important than the hurt feelings of a group of conservatives who think this is some type of PC witch hunt. In their opinion the business they'll lose by keeping her is greater than the business they'll lose by firing her.
  15. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,237
    • Like Like x 1
  16. LittleBlueLW

Ratings Received:
    +1,043
    Allright man. Got it. You are a staunch defender of capitalism and companies are free to hire and fire whiever, whenever, all in the name of making a dollar.

I agree.
  17. fastsix

Ratings Received:
    +1,005
    That's the part that I don't understand. Most conservatives who are complaining about this would be the first to whine if someone told them Wal Mart couldn't fire an employee that was a determent to their business...and yet here they are whining about Wal Mart firing someone who is a detriment to their business.
  18. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +661
    Do you really think Paula Deen is a detriment to their image and business??? Get real here---what Walmart is doing is strictly PC driven and nothing to do with hurting their business....it isn't even a remote possibility their business would suffer. Not in the least.

Walmart has captured their customer base on their price and selection--and with the economy Hussein has leveled on us, they have picked up customers who wouldn't go in their stores in the past. Of course they may be scattered and obscure whining in some local areas by those who claim to be offended, but you can bet your last dollar that the majority of those who would be perceived to be offended are and would--still go in there and spend their dollars.

Just this week her books have shot up the list of best sellers....one report I saw on tv last night put one book up over 1000% in sales. Her base is still there--their loyalty to her is still there---and if she were to remain as a presence in Walmart. One video clip just yesterday was filmed in front of her downtown Savannah restaurant and of those interviewed, two were black ladies who were defending Paula Deen to the hilt. "We all--every one of us, has said things in the past that we regret. All of us make mistakes. We hold no bad feelings towards her at all"....was one of the statements made by one of the nice little old black ladies waiting to go eat.

Corporate Walmart is trying to politically appease the likes of Jackson, libs and leftie barkers, and other true racists for an effect....it is not for potential lost revenue reasons, that is for certain.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,919
    I have a theory that I put out in the now-disappeared thread.

Her show had run its course. Food Network probably saw this as a way out.

Also, the Paula Deen cookware is not good. It's usually marked down, the reviews talk about cracking enamel, warping of the pans & pots...again, quite likely Target & Walmart saw a way out. Even before this fiasco, her stuff wasn't selling much (at least around here) & was always marked down.

She & her "team" handled this poorly, though.
  20. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,919
    See I didn't know all that. Might be a regional thing then, but up here her stuff doesn't do well.