request to other posters to honor 4th of July

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oldgator, Jul 4, 2013.

1. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    Today is likely a busy day being spent with family and friends in celebration.

I beg of you to do some things such as the following
    1. visit nearby VA hospital to visitor vet who doesn't get visitors. Ask at the desk if a vet would like to talk with a visitor. If you do meet such a veteran ask to hear his story.And then just listen.
    2. if VA isn't nearby check by phone with nursing homes, or your church, etc to see if a vet would like some company
    3. Go to a cemetery and lay some flowers at the tomb of a veteran you don't know. And who doesn't already have flowers. And then bow your head and say thanks.
    4. If too busy to do any of the above. Take a minute or two to sit quietly with the American flag. And say thanks to all those, of all races, creeds, etc who fought for America in any capacity.

are you an American who thinks it enough to simply wave a flag and proclaim yourself an American and that others aren't American because they don't wave the flag as vigorously as you?. Or do you do actions that truly reflect a deep thankfullness of America? That acknowledge whites who fought for America, blacks who fought for America, people of other ethnic groups, religions, political parties, etc who fought for America and are worthy of our thanks.

To me, an example of such love of America is the tight close bond of friendship and respect that existed between Bob Dole(white, GOP, Senator, etc) and Daniel Inouye(Japanese-American, Dem,Senator, etc). They first met in a U.S. military hospital as a result of each being horribly wounded in combat serving for America. They became friends. following the war they both entered politics and were in different political parties. But they didn't let politics be a barrier to their respect, love, ,etc of each other and of America. Though with differing point of views they both believed that the other was sincerely doing the best he could to improve America. They also differed vigorously on some issues and on other issues they both conceded some and arrived at compromise solutions. Despite how much they may debate and differ on an issue they did not stoop to accuse the other of being evil, un-American, etc.

these are the two men who are my political role models...And I don't admire GWB, Bill Clinton, Biden, Pelosi, Palin, Obama, Allen West, or the vast majority of pols (Dem and GOP) who infest D.C. today as I respect and admire Bob Dole and Daniel Inouye.

please feel free to use the word 'infest' in regard to those politicans(GOP, Dem, Tea Party, moderate, independent, Green,etc) who put personal ego, gotcha politics, etc ahead of America and all its people.
  2. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,514
    I think you are confused with Memorial Day and Veterans Day.

But I will pray for those brave souls who gave theirs for ours back in the 1700s. Defeating tyranny is a little tougher these days.
  3. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I'll be celebrating freedom being free.
  4. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,816
    Couldn't care less. I'll have plenty to do tonight because of all the drunk fools blowing off their hands, setting themselves on fire, and wrecking their cars today.
  5. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    Independence Day, Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, Armistice Day, Labor Day, D-Day,and others in which it is appropriate to take time out of our festivities to reflect upon and give thanks to the people who did what they could to make America be, survive, grow, etc.

Though unions have outreached their original purpose and do many things even I(a liberal) disagree with. We can still be thankful for the work the workers of America(union or non union) have done for America over the decades.

Though Independence Day is primarily a remembrance of the Revolutionary War, it is also a recognition that we should be thankful, grateful for the Independence. And should be thankful of our forefathers and foremothers who formed our country. Many of those forefathers fought in the uniform of the army the colonies put together. Others fought wearing civilian cloths knowing they would be executed as spies if captured. Many on the board praise those who serve in the military(and justifiably so) and yet seem to have the notion that Americans not in uniform also fight and die for America today.
  6. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,284
    In addition to other well-thought suggestions, on a more personal, internal basis -- find something today to recognize the value of independence as a concept. Independence Day seems also a great day to celebrate autonomy -- achieve something by yourself that you have always needed help to do, encourage others to do the same and praise them for their achievement. This is the kind of day that kids learning to ride a bike should be aiming to have their training wheels off, or to swim across the pool by themselves.
  7. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,507
    Great OP....as far as "confusing the days" it doesn't matter. There are activities and things that can be done for each.

My kids are doing homemade flags and coloring crafts, and try to watch any of the orchestra/fireworks shows. My favorite used to be Pops Goes The 4th when John Williams was there. The new guy has shortened stuff a lot to fit network TV whereas Williams was big enough that A&E would basically let him make the show as long as he wanted to.

Always find it ironic, though, that all the 4th of July fireworks shows that celebrate America's Independence use a song that was written by a Russian to commemorate the Russian victory over Napoleon. :laugh:
  8. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    another thing important to reflect upon is that independence carries with it a number of responsibilities.

our own responsibility to preserve America's independence. But also on a personal and small group level.....not abusing others because we have the autonomy to do so.

Just because a person or group of people have the right to do something......does not mean it is always ethical to use that right. since there are instances when doing something we have the right to do just may not be the ethical thing to do.

That with freedoms come responsibilities. That freedom is not carte blanche to childishly do what we want without regard for others.
  9. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +333
    Sounds like something is bothering you.

I can't help but to spend part of the day by thinking of how much freedom we have had taken back from us by those we have elected. Sometimes I don't feel free at all.
  10. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    Always is good to think of and do for others, no matter what the day, but I agree with the OP sentiment, and think that when we do for others we received a tremendous blessing.

In some respects I also agree with with candyman, in that we must be vigilant, because, the government is not trying to give us more freedom in these days, but take more freedoms from us. It goes without saying, the more bureaucracy and bureaucrats we pile on top of us, the less freedom we will have.
  11. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    In he past decade or two there was an email that would make the rounds every 4th of July. The email contained a neat story about the horrible fates of signers of the Declaration of Independence. As with most good stories it Snopes issued a bitter sweet released that showed many of the episodes were only partially true. The untrue parts of the events were embellishments and a convenient misunderstanding of the facts.

The above paragraph is not mention to discredit our founding fathers or make light of their contributions. What these men accomplished is what we should all be thankful for and be envious of. These men successfully started and lead movement that many historians consider the apex of the Age of Enlightenment. Here are just two examples where the Founding Fathers appear bigger after embellishments and rewrites of history or stripped away.

Ben Franklin: This man was truly the first American Renaissance Man. Franklin was already a known name in Europe for 30 plus years before he arrived in Paris to represent American interest during he American Revolution. The fame that preceded his arrival was for his inventions, writings, scientific experiments and observations, prior visits as a representative for the American colonies.. Once in Paris Franklin was instrumental in recruiting people to help the American military. His two most notable recruits were Lafayette, Pulaski, and Steuben. Franklin's fame grew even more for the role he played in the negotiations that brought France in as an ally and for that ended the war with Britain. Franklin finally came home to Philadelphia in 1785. He was 80 years old and in bad health. Yet he had one more mare task to participate in. Franklin attended the Convention of 1787. It was at that convention that Franklin help crafted Benjamin Franklin's work was done. He was now an old man of eighty-two summers and his signed the US Constitution.
    http://inventors.about.com/cs/inventorsalphabet/a/Invent_Franklin_3.htm

George Washington: Like Franklin, Washington was a renaissance man. He excelled in science, agriculture, military, writing, leadership, business and politics. His leadership and political skills became evident in the American Revolution. The retreat from New York was a good example. Many people have labeled Washington's handling of the New York campaign a complete disaster. Yet many military historians call this retreat ground breaking and the tactics are still be studied today by modern military commanders. Another successful strategy by Washington was his avoiding a major confrontation with the British forces. He stayed one step ahead and picked the battle when the terrain and the numbers favored him. Another successful strategy by Washington was the way he manipulated Congress for more supplies. He did this by over reporting the shortages of supplies and the conditions the men were living under. At the end of the war Washington did the least expected when he stepped down ad the commander of the Army and not become a dictator. As president, Washington wrote the book on how a civilian should lead the country. He set the traditions and the protocols that are still followed today.