Republicans push to slash IRS budget by 24 percent

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by diehardgator1, Jul 9, 2013.

1. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Thats not enough. Take it all away and do away with the IRS. They have proved they are not trust worthy

House Republicans want the IRS to pay for targeting political groups and are pushing legislation that would cut the tax collecting agency’s budget by $3 billion – nearly a quarter of what it received last fiscal year.

The House Appropriations Financial Services Committee is scheduled to start “marking up” the spending bill Wednesday.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-by-24-percent-cite-abuses-and/#ixzz2YadFNDi3
  2. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +834
    Stupid, and I agree with you. Just cutting their budget is like sending a child to timeout and doesn't solve the root of the issue. The IRS and our tax system needs a complete overhaul.
  3. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I agree, this is a lame attempt by the repubs to try and do something meaningful to the IRS/tax system. Cut it all out, and start over, like Ted Cruz want to do.
  4. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +844
    But, but, but....if the IRS is abolished, who would Hussein find to enforce Husseintaxcare to the same competent and efficient degree we all know and expect from the trustworthy and credible folks at the IRS???:ninja:
  5. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,903
    I agree that it's stupid.

But just because it's moronic, not because it doesn't go far enough. "We really need to fix our deficit problem. And simultaneously cripple revenue enforcement." Come on.
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,615
    I agree, Ben, it's stupid to cut the IRS's budget by 24 percent... it should be 50%.
  7. secgator

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Why not start with the REAL problems which the left never seems to put as a priority--spending. That alone would go a long ways in solving the deficit problem. And you really can't believe the IRS is an efficient 'revenue enforcement' agency now do you???

Surely you jest.
  8. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +1,903
    Hey! Come up with your own joke, don't just steal my "I agree, but...". :wink:
  9. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,615
    Exactly! Cut wasteful spending now... and the IRS has way too much spending cash.

Didn't they just give out millions in bonuses? Or was it another agency with to much money?
  10. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +1,903
    I'll respectfully suggest that, whether the IRS is efficient or not, cutting a quarter of the budget of the revenue collection body is going to be counterproductive to the goal of cutting the deficit.

My point wasn't what the right way to solve the deficit issue was, but making the point that this is just a stupid political stunt. Claiming that you hold the priorities of both: 1) not spending more than you take in, and 2) crippling the way you take money in without having a concurrent replacement method, plainly isn't a serious suggestion.
  11. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360

You cannot tax enough to cure the deficient problem You have to cut spending and cut out waste and fraud. Oh wait that is why the IRS should be replaced
  12. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +1,903
    Did you even glance at the second half of my post? Read it again if so, because you missed the parts making every bit of your response irrelevant.

I'm not saying that taxes are the way to solve the deficit or that there isn't a more effective way to collect taxes. Unfortunately THIS addresses neither of those problems, it leaves the IRS intact unchanged just with a quarter of its budget lopped off with no phase in. Any suggestion that THAT would do anything more than make the IRS more dysfunctional is facially laughable.
  13. secgator

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Consumption tax. Period. IRS would be virtually unneeded at that point, which is a very, very, very, very good thing.
  14. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I like that approach, the people that spend more get taxed more, usually therefore putting the burden on the more well to do. However, I can see 2 to 3 years later, the government saying we need to to start up again with an income tax, (just on the wealthy) because we aren't getting enough form the consumption tax. Now we are back in it again with a consumption tax and an income tax. I would prefer a flat tax, simplified tax code.
  15. secgator

Ratings Received:
    +844
    Your scenario is highly likely, but even with that possibility I would prefer the sales tax to be the method along with some very strict guidelines to "help" insure that govt would not be allowed to bring back an income tax---do everything possible to eliminate liberals from govt who know nothing but to spend, spend, spend and thereby creating the shortfall in revenue. In simple terms...using some common sense to eradicate govt liberals and decrease govt to a sustainable size.

While it may be simply a dream to imagine a consumption tax as the only revenue source the govt has as a means of income, it is certainly possible--and highly prudent--to reduce govt spending to a bare bones minimum. If that means doing away with all the entitlement programs other than those absolutely necessary--then so be it. First step would be to terminate liberals in govt. THAT is the utmost in a priority. Put some people in there who understand what the word 'balance' means, and living within ones means--and then by God actually DO IT.
  16. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +952
    Cutting the budget without reforming the tax code is lipstick on a pig. The only thing that will happen is that it will take the taxpayer longer to get a refund so the government gets an extension on its free loan. Nothing else will change.
  17. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +342
    Change your status or claim more dependents and your employer will not take out as much.
  18. GatorBen

Ratings Received:
    +1,903
    That's also a good way to make yourself subject to the penalty for underpayment of estimated tax by having insufficient withholding though...
  19. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,615
    No, no, no... VAT tax! It's a scam that can easily go from 1% to 20% at the federal level. No way, no how, do we ever need to invite that crap that England has to deal with.
  20. GatorChoice

GatorChoice Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    I am completely against VAT, but a consumption tax is not VAT unless I'm missing something?