Republicans no longer the party of business

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Row6, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Ignoring the US Chamber of Commerce's plea to not shut down the government is in line with Republicans ignoring the damage they are doing to the economy and have with their policies over the last several years. The party of those constantly claiming Obama is creating "uncertainty" in the economy celebrates manufacturing shut down and debt ceiling crisis every two years. Businessman Romney was a moderate at heart throw back in a party whose agenda was set by entertainers like Rush and college professors like Newt, Armey, and Graham.

"On Oct. 1, House Republicans ignored the Chamber’s pleas to keep the government running. The shutdown is costing the U.S. economy $300 million a day, according to IHS, a global market-research firm, and it’s only the latest sign suggesting that the old adage, “Republicans are the party of business,” no longer holds true. From the austerity imposed by sequestration to the refusal to reform immigration laws to the shutdown and now, as appears likely, another debt-ceiling showdown when U.S. borrowing authority expires on Oct. 17, the GOP’s actions have put a strain on one of its most valuable partners: the business community.

With no clear resolution in sight, those partners are getting antsy. “A government shutdown is economically disruptive and creates even more uncertainty for the U.S. economy,” says R. Bruce Josten, the Chamber’s executive vice president of government affairs. “We are disappointed this has happened, and we urge Congress and the administration to work together immediately to find a path forward on the [continuing resolution] and debt limit to remove any threat to the full faith and credit of the U.S. government.”

Over the past several years the series of budget crises engineered by Republicans to extract concessions from Democrats has damaged economic growth by reducing spending and increasing uncertainty. “We estimate that fiscal drag from federal government policies was 1 percent last year and 1.8 percent this year,” says Dean Maki, chief U.S. economist for Barclays. “We do believe that there has been an effect on both investment spending and hiring the past few years because of the uncertainty over the events in Washington.”

The shutdown will add to these woes. An Oct. 2 Goldman Sachs report estimates that growth will be reduced on an annualized basis by 0.2 percentage points a week, meaning if the government were to remain closed for five weeks, fourth-quarter estimates of U.S. economic health would fall by a full point. Says Gentle: “Every second the shutdown continues pushes a delicate recovery closer to a recession.”

If Republican lawmakers were as responsive to business concerns as they once were, the chance of a prolonged shutdown would be slim. But that’s no longer the case. “Republicans are not the party of business anymore,” says Robert Shapiro, chairman of the economic advisory firm Sonecon. “They’re the party of antigovernment.”"

http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-03/republicans-are-no-longer-the-party-of-business
  2. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,081
    The last paragraph is interesting. Implies that government spending controls business in a way that I dont see as free market in any way.

We have created a monster of epic proportion for sure.
  3. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    The dems are winning the media war....inside the beltway.

But the Pubs are winning the actual war...with the folks. By bringing attention to preferential treatment, out of control spending, government by crisis. When demos revert to name calling, vilification and Harry Reid calls out a reporter for asking him why he would not fund the VA, you know the pressure is building.

If Pubs hold their ground, they will win the battle which is representing the "real" people in America who are actually paying the bills.
  4. surfn1080

surfn1080 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +167
    What a flipping lib article....

The ACA is a much greater threat to our economy then anything else.

Also a 2% decrease in a increase is not really austerity measures!!! Stop with the BS omg it's unbelievable. The economy was crap before the cuts and it is still crap after the cuts. What this article fails to hit on is the damage obamacare is causing the job market. Wendy's, darden, sea world, and many others are all telling us what the problem is!

Rofl at 80 billion decrease across the board causing economy slow down when we spend TRILLIONS....
  5. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,631
    who actually shut the guvment down?
  6. surfn1080

surfn1080 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +167
    The first president to ever tell congress that he will not negotiate when it comes to spending and the deficit. Leader my as....
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    You need to reread the article. The estimated 1.8% decrease wasn't in government spending but GDP.
  8. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +8,631
    row is invested in prezBO, surfin
  9. gator421

gator421 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +119
    The ACA has been very confusing to me. Could you please explain to me how the ACA threatens our economy?
  10. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +913
    Because it funnels money out of the general economy and into Obama's system. It also forces businesses to reduce their workforce or the number of hours of some workers so they aren't forced to pay for their insurance.
  11. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    The money is going to private insurance firms and the mostly private medical community. What are you talking about?
  12. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +228
    If a business reduces the hours that each employee is working, but still needs a certain number of total hours to meet demand, then won't that business need to hire more workers?

If a business is unwilling to hire more workers when there is demand to be met, doesn't that just mean that another company will meet that demand?

For your statement to be true, we have to say that the laws of supply and demand are no longer true. Which does bad things to our theories about the free market.
  13. LeesGator

LeesGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    The author of the article is calling it a republian shut down, while the chamber EVP is asking the congress and administration to sit down and discuss. Sounds like the Chamber places the blame on both. I am sure you can find some right wing author that is calling it the Obama shut down.
  14. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    The USC letter was addressed specifically to Congress and advises them to not shutdown the government or risk debt default, which is the same position as the President and congressional democrats.

"Multi-Industry Coalition Letter Regarding the Continuing Resolution and Debt Limit
    Release Date: Monday, September 30, 2013
    TO THE MEMBERS OF THE U.S. CONGRESS:

The undersigned 251 organizations urge the House of Representatives and the United States Senate to pass a Continuing Resolution to ensure the uninterrupted funding of the federal government into the next fiscal year and to act expeditiously to raise the nation’s debt limit.

We appreciate fully the importance of restraining federal spending, both discretionary spending and mandatory spending, to reduce federal budget deficits, contain the growth of federal debt, and thereby re-establish fiscal discipline in the near-term and for the long haul. However, with the U.S. economy continuing to underperform, the federal government needs to maintain its normal operations pending a successful outcome of broader budgetary reforms. It is not in the best interest of the employers, employees or the American people to risk a government shutdown that will be economically disruptive and create even more uncertainties for the U.S. economy.

Likewise, we respectfully urge the Congress to raise the debt ceiling in a timely manner and remove any threat to the full faith and credit of the United States government.

However, entitlement spending remains the main driver of these deficits and high debt levels and must be addressed. Today we spend $1.6 trillion on just three of the nation’s entitlement programs – Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. In 10 years, the total price for these programs will soar to $3 trillion.

Spending on entitlement programs and interest on the debt currently represent 65% of total government outlays and already exceed all federal income tax revenues collected. In 10 short years these payments are projected to reach 76% of government spending. During this decade and the next without reform, entitlement spending will rise more rapidly as the number of Americans 65 and older will jump by 70% while those of working age will increase by less than 7%. The biggest threat imaginable to our entitlement programs is to do nothing at all.

As the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) just reported (September 12):

“Historical and projected growth of federal spending relative to the size of the economy can be attributed almost entirely to growth in spending for a few large programs—namely, Social Security and the major health care programs.”
    “The fundamental federal budgetary challenge has hardly been addressed.”
    “The largest federal programs are becoming much more expensive because of the retirement of the baby boomers and the rising costs of health care.”
    Congress cannot continue “kicking the can down the road;” it’s time to take corrective action to address the unaffordable path of entitlement spending, to stabilize federal finances and to undertake fundamental tax reform to strengthen the American economy.

We urge the Congress to act promptly to pass a Continuing Resolution to fund the government and to raise the debt ceiling, and then to return to work on these other vital issues."​

The letter is signed by about 75 trade associations.

Here's the link to letter on the USC website, showing signatures.

http://www.uschamber.com/issues/let...egarding-continuing-resolution-and-debt-limit
  15. LeesGator

LeesGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    So the letter only went to Republian members of the house and seanate? They also spend a great amount of time addressing entitlement spending. Again, I don't see anywhere in this letter where they blame just republicans. You're reaching to fit your own political blilnders.
  16. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Forgive me for thinking you were serious.

Except to note that the letter went out before the shut down and thus would not logically blame anyone for an event that had not happened yet, I don't think anything else you said here warrants a response.
  17. g8orbill

Ratings Received:
    +8,631
    Lee-as I stated and row has so eloquently pointed out-the libs never move to the right-the ONLY way libs compromise is for pubs to move their way
  18. LeesGator

LeesGator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    My bad. I thought the point of your post was that Pubs are anti-business as demonstrated by the government shutdown and that even the chamber tried to convince the anti-business pubs to not shut down the government, again, hence further solidifying their anti-business stance, by being anti-government.....and so in conclusion, the government shutdown is the fault of the anti-government, thereby making them anti-business, pubs.

Better?
  19. wcj786

wcj786 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +153
    This is the wrong premise. Many businesses have run the numbers and found that it would be better for them financially to reduce their workforce hours/employees than pay for employee healthcare. Remember that many of these businesses did NOT offer healthcare before this monstrosity called Obamacare. So, having to pay thousands to millions of dollars to for healthcare is more expensive than cutting hours/laying off workers.

Remember, a business is NOT there to employ people, but to make MONEY. If the business does make money, it will be able to increase employees. Yet, now with Obamacare, they have to weigh the costs assosciated with that to the number of employees they need.

If I was an employer who had 99 employees and would be mandated to offer healthcare if I employed one more person, I would refuse to hire another. If I had 100-150 people, I would look to cut hours to the point that only 99 qualified as full time workers. Can that hurt the employees, SURE. But, if I did not look at that, it WOULD affect my profits, which, unlike the liberal dogma would have you believe, is NOT evil.
  20. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I take back my last post - you're a quick study.