Republicans Do Have A Plan

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by diehardgator1, Oct 1, 2013.

1. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +499
    It may be the Rep are smarter than dem gave them credit for. No link to it yet But the Rep plan to fund the government by submitting peace meal approbations bills like they did the Military pay bill. They will fund one dept at the time and then the dem controlled senate will have to vote these bills down and keep that dept closed or pass it then move on to the next dept Smart move

It was just announced by CNN
  2. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,476
    Is this surprising?

Rick and I discussed this likelihood on here last week...
  3. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +956
    That honestly should be the way the budget is done every year. When we run out of money, stop voting on the bills. Not everything is a priority.
  4. raycgator

raycgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +335
    Right as we speak, a White House aide is already drafting a speech that will tug on your heartstrings and then demonize this plan and those who developed it.
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    This is a logical tactic during a shutdown. Of course, this does nothing to achieve their stated aim of "defunding" or "delaying" Obamacare, which is largely mandatory spending anyways. So maybe a good tactic, but not really a strategy to produce their desired outcome.
  6. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,916
    What I see is a game to see who gets targeted for the people's anger. It may work but with a biased MSM, I doubt it. We shall see.
  7. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    I like it. Last appropriation bill to send over would be the bill paying themselves and the President.
  8. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,908
    Can we not send the appropriations bill for the War on Drugs?
  9. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,221
    This would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.
    For those that don't know, for the first time in seeming living memory the senate passed a budget, as did the house. The senate then asked the house for a conference committee to try and reconcile the 2 bills in April, 6 months before a crisis, and the house refused because the senate version contained a provision that basically wiped away the debt ceiling vote. Of course that could have been addressed in conference, but they chose to ignore the request. The senate asked 17 more times, and each time the house refused, meaning there was no chance at a budget. Meantime, the house passed some form of defunding or otherwise curtailing Obama care 41 times even as it was painfully obvious it wasn't going anywhere. So fast forward to this week and you have the dems demanding a clean CR while the pubs are clearly going after the ACA, neither side moves an inch, the house waits until the last minute to pass their 42nd (and later 43rd 44th and 45th) attempts at defunding the ACA, but this time they do it with a shutdown as the stick. The senate doesn't even wait an hour to kill it, yet they pass it 4 times in total. Then, when what the whole world knew wouldn't work didn't, they still don't want to touch the larger budget, but are going for some form of kabuki theater with small budget requests that do nothing to get us past Oct 17th, nor do they now do anything involving Obama Care which was what this was all supposedly about.

Does this make even the most remote sense to anyone here? Honestly, someone please explain to me what they are hoping to accomplish and how it has a chance of succeeding. What is the endgame?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. dynogator

dynogator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +297
    For the sake of clarity, it's "piecemeal," not "peace meal." I kept looking for a reference to food and peace.
  11. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,221
    by the way, another new poll out today makes the point even clearer:

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/more-bad-poll-numbers-for-the-gop-on-government-shutdown/

Fighting a battle that you know you can't win and only weakens you makes no sense.
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,221
    Oh, and all three bills just failed their house votes, so more awesomeness.
  13. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,866
    based on the polling, the country is being taken hostage by the far right, which make up that 20%

can't win via national elections, so try to put a gun to the oppositional party's head to get their way
  14. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,521
    geez
  15. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,645
    I believe the Rep are playing a game that could severely backfire on them come next year.
  16. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,866
    maybe they have nothing to lose at this point since they have alienated everybody but their base
  17. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,866
  18. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,221
    I will admit I have actually watched some cable news for the first time in forever over the last couple of days. Flipping through I heard a telling stat:
    The 80 or so congressman who sent a letter to Boehner last month telling him to shut the government down, 77 were male, 79 white, and on average their districts went for Romney by 23 points. It's a remarkably narrow and unrepresentative constituency that is driving this.
    The larger question is how the other 150 member of the republican caucus are allowing themselves to be driven by a minority of their own party who are driving them off a cliff. But at some point they will start to stand up, I saw that King is getting some allies, guys like my congressman Frank Wolfe and another Virginia rep as well. That number will pick up as it becomes more clear that this isn't working.
  19. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,476
    To be honest, the long term effects of the game they are playing might be helpful to the Republican Party itself (not for the reason they think), but they're probably going to get punished for it in 2014.

The reason I say it could be helpful is that if they take a brutal enough beating in 2014 it will give the moderates in the Party the cover to shut the wing up and rebuild it on a position of actually doing something.
  20. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    This seems wildly optimistic to me. All the Pubs need to do to hang on to the House in 2014 is win districts that Mitt Romney won easily in 2012, where GOP primaries will determine the candidate who wins (i.e. someone very right-wing). Unless people "protest" vote en masse for Democrats (who also need to turnout like crazy), the only "punishment" will likely be a hit to their "national" brand. It may hurt their chances of taking the Senate in 2014, but the map looks bad for Dems there too.