Repub Congressman chews out park ranger for shutdown

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Row6, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Boy, these photo-ops can be thankless hard work.

Mark Segraves, reporting for NBC News' Washington affiliate:

"Rep. Randy Neugebauer's (R-Tex.): "How do you look at them and ... deny them access?" said Neugebauer. He, with most House Republicans, had voted early Sunday morning to pass a funding measure that would delay the Affordable Care Act, a vote that set up a showdown with the Senate and President Barack Obama. With the parties unable to agree on how to fund the federal government, non-essential government functions shut down Tuesday.
    "It's difficult," responded the Park Service employee.

"Well, it should be difficult," replied the congressman, who was carrying a small American flag in his breast pocket.

"It is difficult," responded the Park Service employee. "I'm sorry, sir."

"The Park Service should be ashamed of themselves," the congressman said.

"I'm not ashamed," replied the ranger.

From there, Segraves reports, "a crowd of onlookers got involved," and began loudly demanding that Neugebauer lay off the park ranger, pointing out again and again that the reason everyone was in the position they were in was due to the fact that Congress very specifically put them there. Neugebauer countered that it was all really Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's (D-Nev.) fault, but that failed to impress anyone.​

Video at link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/03/congressman-park-ranger-memorial_n_4037524.html
  2. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +568
    Yeah, this is a new low. The projecting of personal faults onto the very ones truly wronged isn't new, but typically they let their talking point-bots do it for them. I honestly cannot figure out why they think these stunts are going to work out for them. I mean do they, and I just find out about the colossal disasters? I doubt it.

And I can't believe how cool she stayed. She even apologized to this insufferable corn turd. Good for her.
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,624
    Was is an open mall park? Then the there should be no barriers put up in the first place because this shutdown has always included security for the park.

Obama had no business blocking it in the first place.
  4. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +568
    Did you bother reading it? The locale is prominently mentioned. And Obama closed it? He personally called it in, or went down there with chains and a padlock, or carried barriers down there, or how'd he do it exactly?

Not to mention the sanctimonious bemoaning of closing things like....spoiler alert...WWII Memorials as the worst thing about this absurd shutdown. With an American flag stuck in his pocket. That's truly shameless.

But let's say your insights here are accurate--so a member of Congress walks down there and berates a park ranger in front of cameras. Then scurries off when someone even begins to point out his nonsense. That tells me he doesn't even believe his own crap, or he'd have defended himself after the catchall "But Harry Reid!" didn't float.

Yeah, totally justified. He's a real stand up guy.
  5. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,624
    You're lost. If someone "berated Obama you'd flip-out. Yes I read it... Did you? :whistle:

That mall should be open but Obama had it closed off. Next....feigned outrage.
  6. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +568
    Indeed, I am lost. I honestly have no idea what it is you're saying. Other than you read it, evidently between posts since you didn't know the location of this fine example of statesmanship.
  7. Gatorrick22

Ratings Received:
    +4,624
    He's still talking about the WWII Memorial Mall.
  8. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    why is congress still getting paid salary and their obscene benefits?
  9. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +568
    Which is exactly what he's trying to do, BTW.
  10. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +568
    You're on a roll.
  11. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    What ever happened to civil disobedience ?
    The congressman was right in asking his question to the park ranger.
    The park ranger should of felt ashamed in attempting to turn these hero'a (who made her job possible) away.
    OK Obama may be be her boss, but she is a public servant who works for the congressman, those veterans, and us.
    Back in the day before we got hooked on suckeling to the gov't tit, there was a lot of Americans who would say BS to this petulant partisan president and let those Veterans in. Thank God those Veterans and that congressman said BS!

Obama is our chief executive officer but he is not our sheep herder that is leading many of us over the edge of a cliff!
  12. fredsanford

fredsanford VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,401
    You've got to be kidding.

This was bullying to put on a public show. If he wants it open, he can vote to pass a clean CR.

Pubs just looooooove beating up on working people.
  13. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +224
    The congressman was being an ass and was rightfully put in his place.
  14. DaveFla

DaveFla Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +979
    Crappy title. Looks like he was criticizing the park ranger for denying them access, not for the shutdown.

Isn't this the very same sort of thing that gets your liberal panties all up in a wad when it's done by the other party in here?

You guys and your hypocritical ways... Truly a sight to see.
  15. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,533
    A fine example of the people we elect to office.

What a grandstanding POS.
  16. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    funny thing how this sort of thing goes

a law enforcement officer is following orders that were legally given to the officer. The officer attempts to enforce the law. and some damn politician such as a congressman demands that the law enforcement officer disobey orders.
    ---in this instance it was a GOP congressman---and cons, GOP attempt to justify it, etc--and libs/dems slam the congressman's conduct
    ---there have been similar instances in the past--in which a dem/lib politicians shows up at a confrontation between law enforcement and civilians and try to force the law enforcement officer into disobeying orders---and Cons/GOP justifiably point out that Dem pol is acting wrongly. BTW, there have been similar instances in the past involving Dem politicians and GOP politicians. Mainly as an attempt to grandstand and get their own face in the news.

If GOP(or Dem) politicians have issue with a law enforcement officer carrying out some order. The solution for the politicians is to go contact the law enforcement officers superior officer who issued the order and see about getting the order cancelled on humanitarian grounds, on basis of courtesy for vets, etc.

But politicians(of any political party) have a tendency to play the 'don't you know who I am card' and try to bully law enforcement officers into disobeying orders and possibly facing disciplinary action for disobeying orders, etc and possibly getting fired.
    And politicians especially love to do this on camera to agitate their political base(who more often than not are lemmings).
  17. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +923
    The article says she was there in part to keep the general public out while allowing the veterans to go in.

Sent from my mind using ESP
  18. FlyingGatorII

FlyingGatorII Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +549
    I put in in the category of taking out your frustration on a low level employee who is just toting the company line. You see it every day when someone is denied something they think they should have. Was he right? Not in his behavior. Did he "berate" her? Only in a lefty dream world. But let's get back to the real matter here. Why is the OMB, which directly reports to Obama, shutting down all these usually non secured areas and spending extra money to do it? They even closed a parking lot at Mt Vernon even though Mt Vernon itself is privately funded. Why did they refuse to allow the state of Arizona to open the Grand Canyon (like they did last shutdown) paid for with state dollars? You Dems must be so proud of your fearless (more like feckless) leader. It's obvious he is trying to hurt as many Americans as possible to get his way, and you support it. It is you that should be ashamed, not a lowly park ranger doing her job.
  19. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    your 'just toting the company line' is rather lame and misleading. The law enforcement officer was ordered to do what he did. To do as the politicians was attempting to bully him into doing---namely disobeying an order--would get the law enforcement officer disciplined and possibly fired. Of course that is inconsequential to the politicians need for a photo-op(which thankfully blew up in the politicians face).

politicians was simply being a bully playing the 'don't you know who I am?' card. Thankfully the officer did know that the politician was out of line trying to get him(the officer) to violate order he was given by his superior.
  20. anstro76

anstro76 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +923
    She ^^^

Sent from my mind using ESP