Reporting phone scams?

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by Gator515151, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Gator515151

Gator515151 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +338
    I was wondering if there are any agencies that actually investigate telephone scams. Mrs51 recieved phone message from someone claiming to be an IRS agent today. The guy said it was critical that she return the call imediatley. Pretty obvious it is a scam. My first thought was to call the guy back and mess with him but I would rather report it if there is anybody that will actually do something about these things.

I'm sure there are probably thousands of these calls every day this time of year but I would love to contact someone who would try to actually bust these guys.
  2. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
    "If you’ve been targeted by this scam, you should also contact the Federal Trade Commission and use their “FTC Complaint Assistant” at FTC.gov. Please add "IRS Telephone Scam" to the comments of your complaint.
    Taxpayers should be aware that there are other unrelated scams (such as a lottery sweepstakes) and solicitations (such as debt relief) that fraudulently claim to be from the IRS.

The IRS encourages taxpayers to be vigilant against phone and email scams that use the IRS as a lure. The IRS does not initiate contact with taxpayers by email to request personal or financial information. This includes any type of electronic communication, such as text messages and social media channels. The IRS also does not ask for PINs, passwords or similar confidential access information for credit card, bank or other financial accounts. Recipients should not open any attachments or click on any links contained in the message. Instead, forward the e-mail to phishing@irs.gov.
    More information on how to report phishing scams involving the IRS is available on the genuine IRS website, IRS.gov."

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Warns-of-Pervasive-Telephone-Scam

WASHINGTON — "The Internal Revenue Service today warned consumers about a sophisticated phone scam targeting taxpayers, including recent immigrants, throughout the country.
    Victims are told they owe money to the IRS and it must be paid promptly through a pre-loaded debit card or wire transfer. If the victim refuses to cooperate, they are then threatened with arrest, deportation or suspension of a business or driver’s license. In many cases, the caller becomes hostile and insulting.

“This scam has hit taxpayers in nearly every state in the country. We want to educate taxpayers so they can help protect themselves. Rest assured, we do not and will not ask for credit card numbers over the phone, nor request a pre-paid debit card or wire transfer,” says IRS Acting Commissioner Danny Werfel. “If someone unexpectedly calls claiming to be from the IRS and threatens police arrest, deportation or license revocation if you don’t pay immediately, that is a sign that it really isn’t the IRS calling.” Werfel noted that the first IRS contact with taxpayers on a tax issue is likely to occur via mail."

http://800notes.com/forum/ta-8c2f64bf2b91fa5/irs-warns-of-telephone-scam
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jaggator

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
    Personally, I'm getting tired of all the telemarketers calling. Many are scams.
    I have caller ID and if I don't recognize the name/ number, I don't answer the phone.
    Even callers that say they are a charitable organization have become a scam operation.
    I don't trust any of them. If I answer by accident, I tell them I never do business by phone
    and to mail it...request to take your name off their calling list.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Gator515151

Gator515151 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +338
    I was thinking of calling the number back and having a recording going in the background of telephones ringing and having someone answering "FBI consumer fraud division" while I talk to them. Then have someone say "Agent Johnson we have a trace on the number". Just want to screw with these bastards.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +796
    you sure its just not Jake from State Farm calling?
    • Funny Funny x 3
  6. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,632
    I have been getting calls, every two or so weeks, from MicroSoft saying they are getting error messages from my computer. Now an old and widely reported scam.

The other week I started telling the caller: "Oh my gosh I am SO happy you called me. This is my lucky day. I havent been screwed yet today and now YOU call. I "cannot tell you how grateful I am."

And they then hang up on me. Has worked 3 times in a row.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +396
    At 3 in the morning?
  8. Jaggator

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Jaggator

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
    [​IMG]
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,080
    I got a call from a telemarketer telling me that I was going to be arrested at my job or home that day. I called the number back and it was an attorneys office in California. I saved the message and called them back and told them that I was going to report the number and play the message to the DA here in SC.
  11. Jaggator

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
    Robocaller, Why Do You Not Speak?
    Ring. Ring. Ring. Hello? Hello? ... Click.

"You have just received an abandoned call. We all know this extraordinarily annoying script all too well. After the rage subsides, especially if you got out of bed for this, your next thought is probably questioning why anyone would bother to call and not say anything. Let's examine the sources of abandoned calls.

Agent Not Ready
    High volume outbound callers such as surveyors, debt collectors, politicians, telemarketers, etc. all try to maximize their resources. Given the general unpredictability of answers, callers resort to using multiple lines per agent employing dialing strategies known as predictive dialing and power dialing. Predictive dialing utilizes a pacing algorithm that factors agent availability, average call times, and answer rates in an attempt to maximize agent talk time with the lowest possible abandonment rate. Despite clever pacing, agents are inevitably unavailable for all answers and abandonment occurs. Power dialing maximizes agent talk time by continuously dialing all available lines. This results in astronomical abandonment rates. Legend has it, back in the day before compliance, one enterprising storm damage repair company would power dial 25:1, that's 25 lines for every agent! They would engage in a carpet bombing campaign after a major storm and beat their competitors to the insurance claim feast.

Voicemail Fishing
    Many robocalls aren't intended for a live person at all. If the message is targeted for playback from your answering machine or voicemail, then the call will likely be terminated if a live person answers. Dialing systems often incorporate a feature known as positive answering machine detection. While machine detection is an imperfect science, this generally provides callers the opportunity to play the message or end the call based on the answer type.

Psychological Warfare
    Has your ringer ever pulsed a time or two and you picked up to find dead air or an open line? This is straight from the playbook of a debt collector. Unsurprisingly, a collector's sole mission is to motivate payment. A collector doesn't need to speak to you to directly to let you know that they are thinking about you, your debt, and your credit score. Simply seeing the collection agency's number in your missed call log is a reinforcing action.

The Probe
    Modern business is no stranger to measurement and quantified optimization. The simple act of answering or not answering the phone tells quite a story. We live a life of patterns with tendencies to work, eat, and watch TV, etc. at roughly the same times each day. This includes availability to answer the phone. Probing calls are logged and analyzed to build an answer profile demonstrating probability to answer the phone. Targeted calling campaigns can be optimized by preemptively building an answer profile with probing. This allows for the best allocation of staff and lines. Probing isn't necessarily performed in isolation as it can be incorporated into any of the above mentioned practices.

Follow the Money
    There's a saying that following the money will lead you to the truth. Abandoned calls walk this line. It's all about resource management with little or no regard for the recipient. Ever cheaper long distance and sophisticated dialing systems will likely fuel this bonanza for years to come"

http://www.callhunter.com/guides/robocaller-why-do-you-not-speak