Remembering the ride (best Gator games of 2013-2014)...

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorKP, Apr 14, 2014.

1. GatorKP

GatorKP Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20140413/ARTICLES/140419882?tc=cr

Dooley ranked his best 10 games of the season and I wanted to get your thoughts as well. 10 is a lot so feel free to do less if you want. I differ with him on some but it's a personal opinion thing so it doesn't matter. Anyway, here is my top 10.

1). Dayton - Gators finally get over the hump and make it to the Final 4. Great FT shooting when it mattered the most helped us get the win. So happy for our Seniors to finally get there.

2). SEC Championship - Being there and watching us beat UK in the championship game was so much fun. Awesome celebration for our Seniors who got their 1st SEC Tournament Championship.

3) Kentucky - Beating Kentucky in Gainesville to finish off a perfect SEC season was awesome. And watching our Sr's take over late when it got close made it even better.

4) @UK - Yes, I have our 3 wins against UK in my top 4, but this was a game we were supposed to lose. College Gameday is there, Rupp is packed and loud, UK almost never loses at home. But we made the plays late when we had to and pulled it out. Very gutty effort by the Gators.

5). UCLA - Very nervous going into this game. We only led by 5 with 3:12 left. But the guys hit timely foul shots and got breakaway dunks down the stretch to get us back to the Elite 8. I was very relieved when the clock finally hit zero.

6). SEC semi's - Didn't really want to face UT a 3rd time. They led us by 7 at the break and it could have been worse if not for Scottie draining a 3 at the buzzer. 2nd half D played lights out holding them to only 14 points. Wow. We end up winning by 7 and hit 9 of our last 10 FT. Once again, the Gators found a way to get the W.

7). @ Ark - Scottie hits the shot to force OT, Gators win and stop the hogs 23 game home winning streak.

8). @ UT - Gators get a huge road win in Knoxville. No one will forget Pat's floor dive to get the loose ball. Scottie ended up with 21 and we outrebounded them by 7.

9). LSU - Most probably won't have this game in their top 10. I just enjoyed it because I thought it was about as good as we played all year. As a fan of the game, I just enjoyed watching how in sync we were the whole game. We took it to them from the opening tip scoring the first 8 points. We led by 16 at the half and ended up winning by 18. Offense and defense were spectacular. The reserves came in and LSU outscored us 13-2 to end the game or it would have been a lot worse. We had a lead late of 28. Gators shot 57% for the game, 56% from 3, 18 assists. Just a complete game all around.

10). Auburn - Ugly game for the guys in the Orange and Blue. Down 8 at the half, staring a loss squarely in the face to snap our home winning streak, but the guys found a way to get it done. Patric and Scottie with some huge FT's down the stretch to seal it. Auburn with some dumb plays too but who cares? We took advantage of their mistakes and stayed perfect in the conference.

So that's my list. Tough to pick out my favorite 10 games. I guess honorable mentions would be Pitt, FSU, Kansas, Mizzou at home in C. Walk's debut, Mizzou in the SEC tournament simply because we turned a close game into a route in just a span of a few minutes. I could go on and on. What an enjoyable season that has so many great memories. Thank you Gators!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Bradass

Bradass Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +810
    Kansas should be in there around 6 to 8 if only for the 23-0 run we went on that in my mind showed us what kind of team we could potentially have this year. IIRC that was the first game we had Kasey and Wilbekin back and mostly healthy at the same time.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +207
    Agree completely. Kansas was a huge confidence building win, as it was the first game after the Napier buzzer beater in Stoors. It started the 30 game streak.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    I think the Arkansas road win should rank higher. Executing down the stretch at one of the toughest venues in college hoops, with Prather ailing, started to open a lot of eyes about what this group could achieve.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +596
    Agree, great nail biter!
  6. GatorKP

GatorKP Member

Ratings Received:
    +36
    It was tough for me to leave Kansas out of the top 10. That was indeed a great win that started the streak. Dooley had that win 10th where I would have probably had it 11th. I guess to me the post-sesaon games and conference wins meant a little more as that helped us get to the Final 4, win the SEC tourney and finish undefeated in the conference.

Dooley and I had the same top 3. But he had the Auburn home win 4th while I had it 10th. I had the win at Rupp 4th while he had it 6th. I had UCLA 5th while he didn't have that one ranked. However, he had Pitt 5th while I didn't rank that one in my top 10 although it too was one I considered.

So what would your list look like? I'm guessing alot of ours might look at little different.
  7. gators960608

gators960608 Member

Ratings Received:
    +85
    What a ride. Still hurting little bit from Dallas. But man there were some great times this year. Great thread. #1 for me was Dayton as well. Close 2nd was Senior Day against UK. Sent those guys off with an 18-0 SEC record. Was special. Night in and night out watching those guys was special. What a year.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Gatorhead

Gatorhead Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +176
    Arky road win and the AU win were improbable come backs. Thrilling.
  9. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +680
    I think the senior day win over uk was the most memorable. It didnt mean as much as the 2 above it, but I think I enjoyed it more
  10. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +223
    Yours is a great list. But I would have Pitt in it...and not just at the bottom. After the lackluster Albany game, and watching Pitt in person, the game was presaged by anxiety. It was a fantastic game.
  11. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    I think 10 is too few. How about 39, or perhaps only 37, excluding the two games against UConn. The loss at Wisconsin, when playing with only 6 regulars and Jake Kurtz playing 21 minutes in that incredibly difficult arena showed that this team could really, really play tough.