Remember this when conservatives attempt to rewrite history

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator996, Aug 29, 2013.

1. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    I repeat the question I asked yesterday? Nobody has been able to answer this question intelligently other than gobbledy gook about 'helping the entire country'. How has liberalism helped Blacks?

Apparently this Black Democratic State Senator from Louisiana who just switched to the Republican Party has seen the light.

“Our self initiative and our self reliance have been sacrificed in exchange for our allegiance to our overseers who control us by making us dependent on them.”
  2. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,637

Brown vs. Board of Education
    Civil Rights Act of 1964
    Voting Rights Act of 1965
  3. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    You guys are so disingenuous. Who tried to block both frickin bills? Democrats.

Civil Rights Act of 1964-The most fervent opposition to the bill came from Senator Strom Thurmond (D-SC): "This so-called Civil Rights Proposals, which the President has sent to Capitol Hill for enactment into law, are unconstitutional, unnecessary, unwise and extend beyond the realm of reason. This is the worst civil-rights package ever presented to the Congress and is reminiscent of the Reconstruction proposals and actions of the radical Republican Congress."[12]

After 54 days of filibuster, Senators Everett Dirksen (R-IL), Thomas Kuchel (R-CA), Hubert Humphrey (D-MN), and Mike Mansfield (D-MT) introduced a substitute bill that they hoped would attract enough Republican swing votes to end the filibuster. The compromise bill was weaker than the House version in regard to government power to regulate the conduct of private business, but it was not so weak as to cause the House to reconsider the legislation.[13]

On the morning of June 10, 1964, Senator Robert Byrd (D-W.Va.) completed a filibustering address that he had begun 14 hours and 13 minutes earlier opposing the legislation

Voting Rights Act of 1965- The Act was passed by the U.S. Congress over strong opposition within the Democratic Party. President Lyndon Johnson asked Republican Minority Leader Everett Dirksen for help [2] in breaking the Democratic filibuster. Dirksen spoke on the Senate floor,

“ The time has come for equality of opportunity in sharing of government, in education, and in employment. It must not be stayed or denied. It is here! ”

Under Johnson, the Senate had not been able to muster enough votes to cut off a filibuster on a Civil Rights Bill. With Republican support, the final count showed 44 Democrats and 27 Republicans voting to end the filibuster, with 23 Democrats and only 6 Republicans opposed. The formal Senate vote on the bill took place on June 19, 1964. It passed overwhelmingly, 73-27.

The final Senate vote on August 4 was 49 Democrats and 30 Republicans in favor, one Republican and 17 Democrats opposed. Segregationists who voted against the Voting Rights Act were J. William Fulbright [3], awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by Bill Clinton, and Al Gore, Sr., father of Democratic Presidential Nominee Al Gore.
  4. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,637
    your question was about liberals. Not Democrats. We've been thru this 100 times. Do you really not know the difference? You really want to claim that the Southern Democrats who fought integration were liberals? And that those who supported integration were conservatives?
  5. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Conservatives are not racists. How many times do we need to tell you that? You and other lefty libbies have it in your head that conservatives are against "progress". No, we are against stupid shit. Like what liberals come up with. Stupid shit.

My wife's grandad was a conservative. He ran a timber operation. 90% of his workers were black. His wife had them over to the house everyday for lunch to make sure they had at least one good meal per day. He treated his workers like family. My dad was a conservative and owned a construction firm. 75% of his workers were black. How many times as a kid did I wake up on Saturday morning only to jump in the car with my dad to go get one of his workers out of jail or trouble.

Conservatives are not racists. Liberals are the racists. They've enslaved whites, blacks, indians and asians since the mid 60s. They think government needs to take care of everyone. Conservatives believe in providing opportunities...like freaking jobs. I know that three letter word (according to Joe Biden) JOBS, is a dirty word to liberals...it is almost profanity to a liberal. But self reliance and independence and pride are all interrelated.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. DeanMeadGator

DeanMeadGator '63 Gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    In 1964, I had just graduated from high school. I am 68 1/2 today.

Getting mired in things that happened 50 years ago, as more than a few on this thread do [not you], is nothing more than an excuse not to see change that has taken place.

Moerover, it is an excuse for doing nothing that positively affects the present and the future.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    DMG, I agree. For some, there are financial advantages to not acknowledging change. I'm thinking of the rent a riot reverends and the "climate change" (formerly global warming) crowd. For others, they are most likely clinging to their tie dye t-shirts and woodstock days, or they are a child (product) of the same.
  8. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +572
    Interesting that you'd agree with this. Did you just start a thread saying how MLK was a republican and democrats were mostly known for their connection to the KKK?
  9. gatordowneast

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Was he not? Was his pop not? Is the KKK comment inaccurate? You could call "Sheets" Byrd up in WVA if he were still with us and ask him. His buds were all card carrying members.
  10. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +572
    Well there was some dispute as I recall, but regardless I wasn't specifically trying to question the accuracy of your thread as much as say that it seems to go against DeanMead's post.

11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,286
    Facts are something that seems to scar you, river. You know it was the Dems that were against the Civil rights Laws. End of story.