Religious Conservatives Not Happy With Cosmos

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, Mar 19, 2014.

1. co_gator89

co_gator89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +377
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,279
    And meanwhile Putin has all of his country's gays running scared. I'd like to see what's being done to help them in that country. It almost seems that gay marriage in the U.S.A. could be having some sort of global backlash. Or we're all just more tuned into it because of our resent events here on that issue.
  3. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +995
    Ahh, I see your point. As long as Christians achieve their agenda through a government, then it's okay. If Uganda was executing people for being gay, it wouldn't be Christians doing it anymore than it's Christians imprisoning people for life in Uganda. What a nice loophole for you.
  4. GuyWhiteyCorngood

GuyWhiteyCorngood Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +109
    I think the main point is that Christianity is not about scripture alone. Culture and education matter, and they factor heavily into how scripture is interpreted - even by fundamentalists.
  5. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,627
    OK, did a little research from Wiki and Mr. Google. Couldn't find the actual legislation itself or confirm that it is actually the law. But some law was apparently signed in February, that is controversial, and criminalizes homosexual acts.

I can't tell from the limited resources what the legislative intent of the law was, but from the indication on Wiki there was apparently some basis for the legislation in a concern for preventing the spread of HIV, and for preventing adult homsexuals from engaging in homosexual acts with minors.

Not seeing the law, I cannot determine how the punishment is imposed, i.e., whether it is tiered with lesser punishment for a first offense and increasing thereafter, whether the punishment is discretionary with the Courts, whether the punishment is mandatory life imprisonment for a first offense, or whether the punishment is contingent on other factors.

Without that additional information, I cannot say that the law is unfair on its face, especially if the purpose is to prevent the spread of a mortal disease. In other words, I am not going to condemn it out-of-hand, without knowing more.

I did find this on HIV in Africa, Uganda specifically, and perhaps that has something to do with the harsh legislation:

"HIV/AIDS Programs
    The UN reports more than two thirds of all people infected with HIV live in sub-Saharan Africa. 22.4 million people are living with HIV. More than 20 million people living in Africa have died from AIDS. Life expectancy has been reduced to 47 years.

AIDS continues to be the biggest threat to Africa’s development. A large number of key family members in the prime of their working life, farmers, teachers, shop owners, civil servants and young professionals are dying leaving dependent children and other family members without resources to provide food, shelter, education and other basic necessities.

Uganda has been severely affected by the AIDS pandemic. For over 20 years, Uganda has seen death on a massive scale, and many more will die in the years to come. What was once productive farmland has become grave sites, former thriving shops are boarded shut and abandoned.

National statistics indicate nearly 100,000 people in Uganda die every year from AIDS. Estimated one million people are living with HIV including 150,000 children.

Uganda has over two million orphaned children, 1,200,000 due to AIDS." http://www.unchildren.org/programs/hivaids-programs/

The toll that AIDS can take on children and young people is dramatic. Not only do they mourn the loss of their parents and loved ones, the very prospect of their survival is at risk. They may be shuffled from relative to relative where they are often abused, used as child labor and in many cases totally abandoned and forced to live on their own where they turn to begging, sex trade, petty crime and other desperate measures to survive.
  6. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +1,627

Uganda is apparently willing to imprison homosexuals to prevent the spread of the HIV virus.

I suppose that is some sort of Christian loophole too.
  7. fastsix

Ratings Received:
    +995
    Yeah, sure that's the reason. If they just imprison all the homosexuals for life, the heterosexuals can have all the unprotected sex they want with no fear of AIDS. Does your god lie to himself too?
  8. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +1,627

I don't quite get the bit about God lying, but assume it is insulting in some manner. So you have issues about God, I get it.

I don't really care what you think a hypothetical result could be for the law, I was simply describing why it seems they passed it.
  9. fastsix

Ratings Received:
    +995
    Do you think AIDS in Africa is only spread by homosexual sex? Do you even think it's the main cause of the spread of AIDS there? If so, you're either incredibly ignorant on how AIDS is spread, or you're lying to yourself.

Why is AIDS Worse in Africa?
  10. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +1,627

You would have to ask the Ugandans.

But I know it's different where you are.

Hey, stew in your own juices from here on out. It's your baiting thread, anyway.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +817
    I'll call the WAAAM-bulance just to be safe.
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +817
    And in any case, why are we yammering over how some Christians may regard homosexuality when the Bible itself clearly sounds ominous tones with regards to homosexual behavior ?
  13. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +748
    Noah's Flood got rid of all the homosexuals (don't know if that's covered in the movie or not), but they came right back again. I guess it must be something natural.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Being a Local Flood proponent, it could have been the "Boys" from Brazil.
  15. busigator96

busigator96 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +440
    We can't have homosexuals everywhere.....it will create chaos on our tax base!

We need more babies being pumped out immediately.
  16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +748
    What we need is a fair tax for heterosexuals and a fairy tax for homosexuals.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +817
    Additionally, banning homosexuality would cripple the male flight attendant industry. Granted, there is the alternative theory that the affected hand motions a flight attendant is required to make, during pre-flight instructions, turns men gay.
  18. busigator96

busigator96 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +440
  19. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +779
    Geez, that's the question L was whining about. Thought it interesting that a Judeo culture (.02% population) has 30 times the Noble prizes as Muslims (20% of the worlds population). Over half in science and medicine. Pertinent to the thread claiming Christianity (birthed from Judaism) is anti-science.
  20. co_gator89

co_gator89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +377
    This. I mean, we have actual video evidence confirming the Ark story right here.