Redirecting to other sites

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by thegator92, Mar 12, 2018.

1. thegator92

thegator92 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,520
    Whenever I come to GC on my phone, I often get redirected to some sort of crappy webpage with pop-ups or notices about viruses and stuff. I can tell from the URLs that these are fake sites. And it is frustrating because i cannot go back, the page keeps reloading and won't let me leave. I have to close the browser. I am using the default Chrome browser.

I don't think this is some virus I have. This is a brand new phone, and GC was literally the first site I went to. I think it's crappy ads on GC. This doesn't happen on any other website I look at. Just GC. Does anyone else have this problem?
  2. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,004
    That is certainly not nice behavior, especially for a major household appliance. This doesn't seem a common thing or it would be reported by some other folks afflicted with android phones. You may be right that it could be the advertisements that are part of the cause but they should have no effect unless you are clicking on them.
  3. solari

solari GC Janitor Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +20,668
    That is odd. Can you let us know the name of the ad/URLs of the sites you are being sent to? I'd like to dig into this further. It could be an app on your phone or a stray ad somewhere but we need more information to sort this out.

Thanks,
    Ray
  4. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,565
    I'm using Chrome on my s8 no problems. No problems using the tapatalk app either.
  5. thegator92

Ratings Received:
    +2,520
    Okay, will do. I actually stopped coming to this site because the ads and the pop-ups and the redirects got so bad. Tapatalk would not work on my phone either, it kept crashing.

I just got this phone this weekend, and the very first site I went to was GC, and I was immeiately redirected to a page that said "North Carolina car owners should learn this one important thing about insurance...", and then a pop-up that looked like a Google screen warning me I had a virus, but the URL was something vague and suspicious. I should have copied it down, sorry. I was just so fed up, because this was literally the first site I visited on a brand new phone.

Right now, I am using Firefox that my son set up for me with various ad-blockers, and so far so good, after 3-4 minutes anyways! But I willtry it with Chrome.
  6. LakeGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,004
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. solari

Ratings Received:
    +20,668
    I agree it’s some kind of malware. Another app is usually the culprit. The fact that it affected Tapatalk says a lot because Tapatalk is a stand-alone app from a different company.

What’s the model and make of your phone?

Ray
  8. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,247
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,267
    You said that you got this Ad re; North Carolina drivers, and insurance, etc.

By any chance, does your cell phone have a NC area code? There has been a very pervasive set of Ads that are "State related" in almost every website, whether one used as a reference link from a thread posted on GC, or ANYWHERE , major chances are you will come across that ad.

Having a brand new phone, most likely you didn't get the opportunity to set your preferences totally, and the "Big Bad Ad-Wolf" jumped up on ya! :)
  10. solari

Ratings Received:
    +20,668
    [​IMG]
    Did it for you, @MtownGator. What you do is click the Copy Link option over there, copy the GIF link, and click the image embed option on the editor here. Paste the URL into it and presto!

The URL looks like:

HTML:
    https://media.giphy.com/media/12gKTQor7QKzIs/giphy.gif
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MtownGator

MtownGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +1,531
    Thank you.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. LakeGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,004
    Most of these locale specific advertisements rely on IP addresses but some use the phone's GPS, as well. IP address is always available whereas GPS and phone number are not always available. Supposedly, the victim of a smart phone can keep their GPS private but both the Android, Google and Apple devices have 'holes' that allow 'leak' the location. Bottom line is that if you use a smart phone you have virtually no privacy.
  13. thegator92

Ratings Received:
    +2,520
    Hi, got busy.

I live in Charlotte, so the ads would be NC specific. That's fine. It's the same ones that show up on Yahoo or ESPN or whatever, I'm sure you've all seen them. I get them on the GC site too, which is okay (if tacky). It's the redirects and pop-ups, especially when I cannot go back that bother me.

Here is one i just got. I was in the Den, clicked on a topic about sports injuries, and I get a pop-up saying I'm a winner whatever, click okay, and this is the URL i was redirected to:

Link: Congrats!
  14. thegator92

Ratings Received:
    +2,520
    I have a Motorola Moto Z2 Force. My previous phone was a Motorola Turbo 2.
  15. thegator92

Ratings Received:
    +2,520
  16. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +783
    Still sounds like malware. It's possible, but I doubt GC would host any malicious adds, so I doubt anything on GC is redirecting you. Whoever owns that domain used a proxy service to get around having WHOIS reveal who they are or where they are located.

Everything these days needs anti-malware. Sadly, I find Android lagging way behind compared to desktops.
  17. LakeGator

Ratings Received:
    +2,004
    My, admittedly biased, view is that Android IS malware and, certainly, attacks almost encourages other malware.