Red zone offense.

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by jjgator55, Sep 7, 2013.

1. jjgator55

jjgator55 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +63
    I was at the game and I can tell you the Gators are a good team. The problem today was fumbles, but the glaring problem with the offense as a whole is red zone offense. I know, duh! How do they fix it? I have no idea but I can tell you this is a very good Gator team.
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,600
    Red zone offense? I'm in favor of it.
  3. TEKgator22

TEKgator22 Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    I personally think we should start every game with the Wildcat for the first play and then never use it again.
  4. HarrisonFord1

HarrisonFord1 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Red Zone offense, whats that? I did not see any.
  5. AndyGator

AndyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +156
    How do they fix it?

Have our guys kneel at the 21.
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    Red zone offense? Hell, I'd settle for red zone NO TURNOVERS. We do that today, we win.
  7. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +882
    RED ZONE is our opponents advantage.
  8. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +666
    Being at the game wasn't an advantage, jjgator. We could all see the same problems.
    Expand fumbles to turnovers and you've got it all. Can't make 5 and win...
  9. gatorzguy28

gatorzguy28 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    Just curious as to how you could watch that slop and call us a very good team. We look a Mike Shula Alabama team;tear it up pretty well til we hit the 20 and then go to crap. Defense made the plays to keep bigger numbers in W column. Offensively, we do well when we are dictating but in that red zone, we lose our you-know-what. We don't have a qb. It has cost us and will continue to. This is further proof that Mel Kiper, McShay, Luginbill, etc don't know what they are talking about. Has he looked like a nation-wide number one qb yet?
  10. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +126
    We have a Red Zone offence? Who would of thunk it.
  11. TJtheGator

TJtheGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    I dont think lack of fumbles save us. When the field is compressed the WRs can't separate and Driskel cant find the open man. He will throw into double coverage in the redzone. Our running game is null in the redzone bc they load 8 or 9.

This is all about offensive philosophy. Coaching, coaching, and more coaching.
  12. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    Yep, even the Driskel problem is often because he has to force an offense. You're gonna get fumbles and such when you know you better get a 70 yard pass play right now for any chance at winning.
  13. Gator8239

Gator8239 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +67
    I hope someone asks Pease about the red zone offense so he can say "Red Zone? I don't know what Red Zone is. Never heard the term. I've never made a game plan with 'Red Zone' in it. I would feel uncomfortable saying 'we might get the ball inside the 20 and need to score, I wouldn't want to save anything for that.'"
  14. jisgator

jisgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    I am coming out of posting retirement to respond to this post. The statement that we have a really good team based on what we just saw is a totally ridiculous statement.

We are NOT a good football team. Good football teams DO NOT consistently beat themselves with penalties in critical situations, turn the ball over in situations where it's costs you points. Today's turnovers cost us probably somewhere around 20 points at least. Good football teams don't have a QB that consistently throws to the wrong receiver, over throws, under throws or throws behind receivers. Good football teams don't have incredibly predictably offensive schemes. For the life of me I have no idea why we hired Brent Pease to run this 1980's conservative system. And ironically, this is being done by the team that ushered out the era of conservative offense.

Good football teams start with solid coaching. And with calls like running a trick play for an extra point in the 1st quarter on the road vs a hated rival, I worry about what's going through Muschamp's head.

Self destruction has been a consistent theme under Muschamp. When Spurrier was here we were just as undisciplined bit we scored 45 points a game so it rarely mattered. When you run an offense that is as conservative as what ours is and you are equally self destructive, you just aren't going to win many football games, no matter who we play.
  15. UF67ee

UF67ee Member

Ratings Received:
    +69
    We are undisciplined, and a poor football team at the moment. I did not see a really good team today. So, what did you see being at the game the rest of us did not. What I saw was a not so good Miami team beat an even worse Gator team.
  16. Gatorstooth

Gatorstooth New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    I think that's an over reaction. There were some mistakes that cost us this game, but the defense played good enough to win, as did special teams. Even our offense played well between the 20's. Statistically we weren't that bad. We held the ball for 38 minutes, had 413 yards to Miami's 212, we had 22 first downs to Miami's 10, and held the Hurricanes to 1-for-11 rate on third-downs. I know, we still lost so it doesn't matter. Right?
  17. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +898
    When UF gets inside the 20, they should call it the DEAD ZONE
  18. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +221
    I think we need to go back to what works. Hand the ball off or let JD run with it. Then branch out with swing passes to Showers and build off of that. The problem with turnovers is that they seem to be contagious. Maybe one of the solutions is to let JD take his shots at the endzone inside the 30. I know it seems counterintuitive to Muschamps design, but JD works better with more space.